Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Places to play in NYC next wee? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446927)

cluckcluck 11-29-2012 07:10 PM

Places to play in NYC next wee?

I'll be traveling to NYC next week to see family, contemplating to take a stick to play. Is it worth the trouble? I'm coming from California.

nspangler 11-30-2012 07:59 AM

Check Stadium Tennis in the Bronx or the National Tennis Center in Queens, both accessible by subway and cheap, at least by NYC standards. Sportime on Randall's Island is nice but pricier and hard to reach.

cluckcluck 11-30-2012 08:07 AM

Thanks, do they match you up or is it a pickup type deal?

nspangler 11-30-2012 09:54 AM

pickup, though Stadium has pros to hit with for $60 or so per hour.

gavna 11-30-2012 10:40 AM

If at all possible try to get to the Riverside Park Tennis courts...... Upper Westside at 96th st. public Red Clay courts that are part of the NYC park system. Awesome facility and it's POSSIBLE to get games......usually closes in early Dec for the season but it's for sure worth a call or drive by. They have a website just google riverside park or 96th street clay tennis.

New York used to have Red Clay public courts all over the city and these are some of the last - once in awhile you get some folks with a "locals only attitude" who can be real schmucks (just like the Rose Garden courts in Berkeley) but generally I have found pick up matches on site or thru the RCTA website and organization.

LeeD 11-30-2012 02:54 PM

Gavna, we need you at the RoseGardens. The good guys are leaving in droves, not that there were droves of them, and only the few remain. M,W,F, we get plenty of players, but few better than weak 3.5. T, Th, we get better players, but usually less than 3.

DCaicedo 11-30-2012 03:44 PM

Which day(s) wil you be here?
I'm at the NTC on Thursday nights- 4.0- if you want to schedule something.

gavna 11-30-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7040439)
Gavna, we need you at the RoseGardens. The good guys are leaving in droves, not that there were droves of them, and only the few remain. M,W,F, we get plenty of players, but few better than weak 3.5. T, Th, we get better players, but usually less than 3.

I'm usually up in the area (I try to stay at the Doubletree at the Marina or the Claremont) every 2 months or so. I will let you know as I would love to set up some dubs.

mikeler 11-30-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7039968)
If at all possible try to get to the Riverside Park Tennis courts...... Upper Westside at 96th st. public Red Clay courts that are part of the NYC park system. Awesome facility and it's POSSIBLE to get games......usually closes in early Dec for the season but it's for sure worth a call or drive by. They have a website just google riverside park or 96th street clay tennis.

New York used to have Red Clay public courts all over the city and these are some of the last - once in awhile you get some folks with a "locals only attitude" who can be real schmucks (just like the Rose Garden courts in Berkeley) but generally I have found pick up matches on site or thru the RCTA website and organization.

Dang, I wish I would have known about this a week ago when I was up in NYC. Those courts look awesome from satellite view.

tyu1314 12-05-2012 09:25 AM

Does those courts need permit? I think they dont need permit at this time of season right? but are they open?Do you have to reserve the court like the one at NTC or you just walk in like some of the public court?

DCaicedo 12-06-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyu1314 (Post 7048061)
Does those courts need permit? I think they dont need permit at this time of season right? but are they open?Do you have to reserve the court like the one at NTC or you just walk in like some of the public court?

The outdoor courts do require a permit, but not during this time of year (December/January). They are public courts.

I'll check tonight to see if they're locked.

EDIT: Passed by at 7:30pm and all the lights were out- so didn't bother checking.