Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Forgot to pull tension on last cross (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446932)

VeeSe 11-29-2012 08:09 PM

Forgot to pull tension on last cross

So...

I just strung my racquet up and then tied off the last cross before I released the clamps. I then noticed that I didn't have a clamp next to the tie-off knot, which made me realize that I never pulled tension on the last cross! I just weaved it and then tied it off by accident. Obviously I can't untie and do it over since the knot is already done.

What does this do to the racquet's playability, if anything? I'm an idiot. :oops:

Thanks,
VeeSe

Lakers4Life 11-29-2012 08:34 PM

Personally I don't think it will make a big difference. The tension may be slightly lighter. Other's may say redo the crosses if you have the string.

cluckcluck 11-29-2012 08:54 PM

If it's your own stick, no biggie. Chances are you won't notice the difference if the last cross has no tension. You'll lose some on the previous few crosses...which hopefully you aren't making much contact with.
If it were a client, I would highly recommend redoing the crosses no questions.

VeeSe 11-29-2012 09:31 PM

Yep, if it were a client there would be no question here, but I just string for myself, so if it won't make much difference, I don't really care. The thing is that this is the first time I'm trying this string too, so I hope any difference I feel is because of the string, not because I didn't tighten a cross!

mikeler 11-30-2012 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeSe (Post 7039181)
Yep, if it were a client there would be no question here, but I just string for myself, so if it won't make much difference, I don't really care. The thing is that this is the first time I'm trying this string too, so I hope any difference I feel is because of the string, not because I didn't tighten a cross!

I've done that once. I could not tell a difference between my other rackets. That bottom cross is the most insignificant string in the whole bed.

Irvin 11-30-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeSe (Post 7039181)

Bottom cross probably won't matter much if you are OK with it. Also just because the clamp was not next to the knot does not mean it was not on the last tensioned string.

SwankPeRFection 12-01-2012 09:24 PM

You should restring. The racket will snap on the outside since there's no tension there......

J/K :p

Woolybugger 12-04-2012 04:42 AM

I've actually omitted the last cross on my personal racquet because I ran out of string. I know it's not legal, so I didn't play any tourneys with it. I could not feel any difference at all.

struggle 12-05-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woolybugger (Post 7045850)
I've actually omitted the last cross on my personal racquet because I ran out of string. I know it's not legal, so I didn't play any tourneys with it. I could not feel any difference at all.

what's not legal?

Andyroo10567 12-05-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7049101)
what's not legal?

Having 1 less cross.

Irvin 12-05-2012 11:59 PM

Whatever rule says you must string every grommet?

struggle 12-06-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyroo10567 (Post 7049121)
Having 1 less cross.

not all rackets have the same number of crosses, by design.

Andyroo10567 12-08-2012 11:12 PM

Just answering tbuggle's question to Woolybugger. I don't have anything to justify my comment that its a rule.

fortun8son 12-08-2012 11:58 PM

Omitting outer crosses or mains is perfectly legal.
Less dense in the center/sweetspot is not.
Desirable? Ehh...Perhaps for some.
Some racquets, the Head Extreme comes to mind, have wide open spaces between the outers and the frame.
Talk about 'trampoline effect' !!