Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Forehand Topspin Drive (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446939)

KayFactor 11-29-2012 10:11 PM

Forehand Topspin Drive

I'm having a tough time on how the topspin drive works. Am I really suppose to swing through the ball with a diagnol swingpath? Do I continue the diagnol path immediately after the ball leaves my racket?

vil 11-30-2012 12:59 AM

It's a bit vague, the way you describe it but if moving diagonal means, moving your racket across in a fashion of a Winshield Viper forehand, then answer is yes, that's the way modern forehand stroke is. After impact you continue your motion across (follow through) the most natural way, you don't stop the racket right there.

ramos77 11-30-2012 03:31 AM

a drive doesn't use much topsin IMO, it's a flatter shot

at least that's my understanding of a drive.

see agassi

5263 11-30-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayFactor (Post 7039208)
I'm having a tough time on how the topspin drive works. Am I really suppose to swing through the ball with a diagnol swingpath? Do I continue the diagnol path immediately after the ball leaves my racket?

The swing for a good modern Fh is on an arc, but the arc is very flat leading to
the ball in a way that feels very straight to contact.
This is the alignment phase....dragging the racket, butt cap leading.
As you approach contact out front, the arc should begin to become more curved,
which gives more rhs and puts you on that diagonal patch "up and across"
the contact, and bringing the strings to contact.
More details for you if this description is helpful.

KayFactor 11-30-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5263 (Post 7039900)
The swing for a good modern Fh is on an arc, but the arc is very flat leading to
the ball in a way that feels very straight to contact.
This is the alignment phase....dragging the racket, butt cap leading.
As you approach contact out front, the arc should begin to become more curved,
which gives more rhs and puts you on that diagonal patch "up and across"
the contact, and bringing the strings to contact.
More details for you if this description is helpful.

Can you provide more details? I think this is exactly what I do. I got a pretty flat ball out of it, and I;m so use to the topspin shot I do that clears the net by like 3 feet, so it jut seems really flat to me.

Headshotterer 11-30-2012 12:27 PM

i believe the follow throw affects the trajectory of the shot. high follow through means lots of spin, high net clearance. the same stroke but with a lower follow thru means lots of spin, dipping type shot.

PhrygianDominant 11-30-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vil (Post 7039288)
moving your racket across in a fashion of a Winshield Viper forehand,

You have to power up to do that move.

5263 11-30-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhrygianDominant (Post 7040185)
You have to power up to do that move.

what is power up?

5263 11-30-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayFactor (Post 7040163)
Can you provide more details? I think this is exactly what I do. I got a pretty flat ball out of it, and I;m so use to the topspin shot I do that clears the net by like 3 feet, so it jut seems really flat to me.

So you want to clear the net more or less?

Get the loop lower under the ball to clear the net higher and less loop
below the contact for less net clearance. The diagonal is steeper for
more clearance and can be nearly flat like - for less clearance.

There are lots of details about dragging the racket and shifting wt across an
open stance to accel the racket face.
More?

y11971alex 11-30-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramos77 (Post 7039347)
a drive doesn't use much topsin IMO, it's a flatter shot

at least that's my understanding of a drive.

see agassi

I think a drive is opposed to a lob, pass, or drop-shot. You could hit a slice drive as long it is intended to be deep and pressing, and that your opponent is on the baseline.

KayFactor 11-30-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5263 (Post 7040474)
So you want to clear the net more or less?

Get the loop lower under the ball to clear the net higher and less loop
below the contact for less net clearance. The diagonal is steeper for
more clearance and can be nearly flat like - for less clearance.

There are lots of details about dragging the racket and shifting wt across an
open stance to accel the racket face.
More?

I want to be able to control this forehand drive shot.
So basically, for more net clearance, I get the racket under the ball more when I set up. Sothe more the racket is the under the ball, the more net clearance and vice versa? And when getting under the ball more, I'm still maintaining what FEELS like a straight swingpath to the ball, but it is actually traveling diagnolly which achieves the topspin. Right?

KayFactor 11-30-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headshotterer (Post 7040177)
i believe the follow throw affects the trajectory of the shot. high follow through means lots of spin, high net clearance. the same stroke but with a lower follow thru means lots of spin, dipping type shot.

Actually, I think what happens before the follow through does most of the work. I feel like when I'm hitting, the follow thru is a result of how I'm using my body to the shot.

5263 11-30-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayFactor (Post 7040729)
Actually, I think what happens before the follow through does most of the work. I feel like when I'm hitting, the follow thru is a result of how I'm using my body to the shot.

You are right...work is before follow thru, but follow thru tells you a lot about
what that work was.

5263 11-30-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayFactor (Post 7040726)
I want to be able to control this forehand drive shot.
So basically, for more net clearance, I get the racket under the ball more when I set up. Sothe more the racket is the under the ball, the more net clearance and vice versa? And when getting under the ball more, I'm still maintaining what FEELS like a straight swingpath to the ball, but it is actually traveling diagnolly which achieves the topspin. Right?

Yes, for more net clearance, come to contact from below the ball more...

Yes, feel like you are going straight to the ball with the butt cap, but NO, it's
not so diagonal at that point yet. As you approach the ball with the butt cap,
the hand starts to move more across on a tighter arc (while still going low to
high or upwards)
This up and across drags the racket face to the ball on a diagonal, giving a
slight side aspect to the topspin.

KayFactor 11-30-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5263 (Post 7040827)
Yes, for more net clearance, come to contact from below the ball more...

Yes, feel like you are going straight to the ball with the butt cap, but NO, it's
not so diagonal at that point yet. As you approach the ball with the butt cap,
the hand starts to move more across on a tighter arc (while still going low to
high or upwards)

This up and across drags the racket face to the ball on a diagonal, giving a
slight side aspect to the topspin.

This part that I bolded, I'm assuming it is naturally achieved by coming to conatact from below the ball more?

PhrygianDominant 12-04-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5263 (Post 7040463)
what is power up?

That was a joke. Viper forehand, like the snake, sounds like something from a video game, or a japanese cartoon. It was a beautiful typo that took on a whole meaning of its own.

5263 12-04-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhrygianDominant (Post 7046329)
That was a joke. Viper forehand, like the snake, sounds like something from a video game, or a japanese cartoon. It was a beautiful typo that took on a whole meaning of its own.

oh yeah, like Mario:)

dominikk1985 12-04-2012 02:23 PM

the "across" is a function of body rotation and pronation. you are not trying to swing across (in fact you try to swing as much in line with the ball exit path as possible. but since the swing is rotational you will not be able to hold that line for more than a fraction and then it goes "across".

for a CC shot you really hit "across" but only compared to the side line not ball flight.

the across is just a combination of the upward brushing and rotation (of spine and arm) it's nothing you should do intentionally. FYB has a good video about that. they describe the WW forehand and the coach says the worst thing you can do is swing normally to the ball and then try to rip the rackethead across the back of the ball. the ww finish should be a natural consequence of the upward swing path and rotation it is an effect and not a goal.

sureshs 12-04-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominikk1985 (Post 7046793)
the "across" is a function of body rotation and pronation. you are not trying to swing across (in fact you try to swing as much in line with the ball exit path as possible. but since the swing is rotational you will not be able to hold that line for more than a fraction and then it goes "across".

for a CC shot you really hit "across" but only compared to the side line not ball flight.

the across is just a combination of the upward brushing and rotation (of spine and arm) it's nothing you should do intentionally. FYB has a good video about that. they describe the WW forehand and the coach says the worst thing you can do is swing normally to the ball and then try to rip the rackethead across the back of the ball. the ww finish should be a natural consequence of the upward swing path and rotation it is an effect and not a goal.

Great post. Across is a very misleading term to teach.

TheCheese 12-04-2012 02:37 PM

How much you brush across the ball diagonally determines the amount of topspin you generate.

How flat/vertical your stroke path is effects the trajectory of your shot.

To hit a flat topspin drive you brush diagonally across the ball with a flatter stroke path.