Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   How Not To Handle Not Being Invited (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446960)

Cindysphinx 11-30-2012 06:45 AM

How Not To Handle Not Being Invited

Ah, boy. New ratings are out, new teams are forming. And once again, people are asking to join teams I captain.

There seem to be two types of requests.

The first type is an email: "Hey, Cindy. I'm looking for a 4.0 ladies team. Do you have an opening?" This is perfectly acceptable networking. If I have a slot for you, I will invite you. If I don't, I will say that and will help you find another team if you want the help.

The second type, though. The second type is a whine. This is the person who comes up to me and says, "I see you didn't invite me onto your 4.0 team."

Come on, people. If you aren't already on someone's team, they are under no obligation to make room for you just because you are friends. If someone is forming a brand new team, they are entitled to try to find the most suitable assortment of players they can. And if you hope to play up and no one invites you, the issue is almost certainly that your tennis is not good enough for the higher level yet.

I dunno. There seems to be a huge sense of entitlement among a lot of ladies. If they know you are captaining and you don't invite them, they are hurt. Me, I have struggled to get on various teams many times. I do not take it personally -- I figure it is all about the tennis. If I improve, I will have more offers than I can accept.

Can we maybe stop harassing captains and just let them put together the team however they like?

texacali 11-30-2012 06:56 AM

I've been fortunate that in my short league life, I have been invited to join a couple of teams. Curious to see if I will be considered for a senior team this winter. No big deal if not....Lord knows I need time to work on my game.

dizzlmcwizzl 11-30-2012 07:13 AM

Seems to me that this might be a man / woman thing. I am a newly bumped player. I have friends at the next level and a couple have already invited me to play, but I know that I will be one of the last off the bench.

I wont get hurt or upset if I dont play, and I certainly wont begrudge any captain that does not invite me ... because I know my level of play is at the bottom of the next rating. I am not as sexy (to 4.5 captains) and I know it. I genuinely think this is true of most men.

Based on my casual observations of my wife, daughters and female friends I think women associate inclusion with whether they are liked or not. If this is true, I gotta believe that this point of view creates some additional challenges for you as a captain of a women's tennis team.

Cindysphinx 11-30-2012 07:20 AM

Yup. I know a 4.0 captain who struggled with the decision about whether to invite her 3.5 BFF. The captain invited the BFF.

By season's end, the BFF was complaining that she only got to play a few times. BFF actually said that had she known she wouldn't get to play a lot, she would have joined a different team.

LuckyR 11-30-2012 07:30 AM

Tennis, of course, is just a microcosm of life itself. Why would you expect the Great Unwashed to suddenly have a better perspective on interpersonal relationships and communication just because the subject matter happen to be League Tennis?

Douggo 11-30-2012 07:43 AM

Cindy, I'm guessing you look at the tennis much more objectively than most.
"It's all about the tennis" probably is just as hurtful as "it's all about whether I like you" to most. Player A is not likely to accept that he/she is not as good as Player B, unless that fact is ridiculously clear.

jswinf 11-30-2012 09:41 AM

Maybe you should carry some cheese to offer to go with the whine.

hobnob 11-30-2012 10:19 AM

I somewhat agree

As a women, I have been fortunate enough to currently have teams invite me to play for them now. I wouldn't say that was so when i first started out, but the last year it definitely has been.

I think for women, the decision to invite that person onto the team has more to do with than just play style, I think it also goes to team dynamics... maybe that new person might not gel with the current players? Not all captains think about that, but I certainly know a few that do.

when I play my level, I expect to play enough matches, but when I play up, I only expect 2 matches (to qualify for any playoffs etc matches and to get my $25 worth in fees) or a bit more. However, I do notice that a lot of captains are hung up on ratings as well... so even if I'm playing up and even if I'm better than some of the ladies on the team with the proper rating, I will not get to play as much as them. Of course, a friend of mine was kind enough to inform me that's b/c the captain is trying to only be fair and let the proper rated players play more (since I am playing up, it's an extra team).

Anyway... a person's tennis ability may not be the only factor in not getting invited on a team... there are a lot of other factors... at least that's my experience with the ladies league. Also, the men's league has WAAAY less drama period.

Cindysphinx 11-30-2012 10:27 AM

Yeah, there can be a bias against those who are playing up. Much of it is based on tennis skill. But some of it is not.

As a captain, I can tell you that I will get an earful if I pair a 3.5 with a 4.0 if the 3.5 isn't up to the job. That means I have to look for 4.0s who are willing to have a partner who is weaker on paper. I also have to find opponents where my gals will have a decent shot. It's a pretty big headache.

That said, I can cut folks a break because I know lots of 3.5s I would rather have as partners instead of some 4.0s.

beernutz 11-30-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7039581)
Ah, boy. New ratings are out, new teams are forming. And once again, people are asking to join teams I captain.

There seem to be two types of requests.

The first type is an email: "Hey, Cindy. I'm looking for a 4.0 ladies team. Do you have an opening?" This is perfectly acceptable networking. If I have a slot for you, I will invite you. If I don't, I will say that and will help you find another team if you want the help.

The second type, though. The second type is a whine. This is the person who comes up to me and says, "I see you didn't invite me onto your 4.0 team."

[snip]

anubis 11-30-2012 10:42 AM

I'm sure the ladies that get offended by not being "invited", easily get offended throughout their day, relatively easily, by almost anyone in their lives. You just happen to get the tennis-end of their worries. I feel sorry for their significant others...

sureshs 11-30-2012 11:29 AM

Cindy wields too much power.

Maui19 11-30-2012 12:25 PM

IMO, it's more of a woman thing than anything else. Many of the same qualities that we love in women create these kinds of problems from time to time. My club was forced to create some rules about who could and couldn't participate on club teams because a couple of women got so bent out of shape at not being invited to play. No probs with the men on this issue though.

NumbersGuy 11-30-2012 01:51 PM

Absolutely the same thing I see with the teams my wife captains and plays on. Being invited, and being in the lineup, equate to "being liked". They'll even use that particular expression. With the mens' teams I captain, I wouldn't say there's no drama, but it's all of the I-think-I'm-better-than-him kind. At least that drama is about the tennis. I often wonder why I keep captaining, but I REALLY wonder why she does! But like Maui says, it's all part of the package.

Cindysphinx 11-30-2012 02:01 PM

I think something else is going on.

Back in the day, etiquette had certain rules about invitations to events. If you realized you were not invited to something, you pretended this didn't bother you. You would never approach the host and ask why you weren't invited. Rude and awkward. By the same token, the host and other guests did not discuss the event in your presence to avoid rudeness and awkwardness.

Now we live in a time when it is OK to confront people, to get things off your chest, to be open, to assert your rights, to get closure. That leads people to ask why they weren't invited -- to weddings, to parties, to tennis teams.

It would be nice if folks could go back to just assuming that they cannot be invited to everything in life and accepting it.

beernutz 11-30-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7040349)

Back in the day, etiquette had certain rules about invitations to events. If you realized you were not invited to something, you pretended this didn't bother you. You would never approach the host and ask why you weren't invited. Rude and awkward. By the same token, the host and other guests did not discuss the event in your presence to avoid rudeness and awkwardness.

Now we live in a time when it is OK to confront people, to get things off your chest, to be open, to assert your rights, to get closure. That leads people to ask why they weren't invited -- to weddings, to parties, to tennis teams.

It would be nice if folks could go back to just assuming that they cannot be invited to everything in life and accepting it.

Welcome to the new millineum Cindy. :)

r2473 11-30-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7039581)
I dunno. There seems to be a huge sense of entitlement among a lot of ladies.

Really :shock:

NumbersGuy 12-01-2012 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7040349)

If that were the root cause then I would think we would see the men doing the same thing, but we don't seem to be seeing that.

Gemini 12-01-2012 06:11 AM

Sounds like that person that sent the " I see you didn't invite me.." is harboring some existing issues. When people send me stuff like that, I take it that I've offended them in some way previously that I, personally, am not aware of. Still, that's his/her issue..not mine. And a message like that is a surefire way to make sure you NEVER receive an invite from me...for anything...ever!

And you're right, people need to stop assuming that they'll be invited to every event. There's a lot of competition out there and you may not be the best fit for the "job".

dcdoorknob 12-01-2012 06:27 AM

So, I noticed you didn't ask for my opinion on this topic.

Fine. Whatever.