Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   IT IS OFFICIAL for 2013 - 32 DRAW FOR JULY REGIONALS. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446974)

tennis5 11-30-2012 08:38 AM

IT IS OFFICIAL for 2013 - 32 DRAW FOR JULY REGIONALS.

Folks,

Spread the word for the Town meetings, this is official.

The draw for the L3 for July 2013 has been cut from 64 to 32.

If you all recall, this was the only tournament for aging up and it is now gone.

JLyon 11-30-2012 08:59 AM

Sorry was thinking of the National Opens...
Sorry for derailing

tennis5 11-30-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLyon (Post 7039820)
believe these Regional Tournaments were 32 this past year in order to shorten down to three days.

No..... This past year, there was ONLY one regional tournament that was a 64 draw in July.
It was very important for the kids to be able to have this in order to age up.
It is now gone for 2013.

INTO10s 11-30-2012 09:25 AM

tennis5 is correct

tennisforlife77 11-30-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis5 (Post 7039823)
No..... This past year, there was ONLY one regional tournament that was a 64 draw in July.
It was very important for the kids to be able to have this in order to age up.
It is now gone for 2013.

Its a tough case to make at this point - almost none of the 64 draws filled up - in some cases there were less than 20 kids playing - this was a result of the USTA in their infinite wisdom slashing the points for the level 3's - they succeeded in scaring off all those horrible points chasers and in the process pretty much killed off the level 3's. As an example one of the level 3's over Labor Day in the boys 12's had only 8 players! This is just another example of the shambles that has been created by the USTA over National Junior competition. If it wasn't so tragic it would be comical!

hound 109 11-30-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisforlife77 (Post 7040274)
Its a tough case to make at this point - almost none of the 64 draws filled up - in some cases there were less than 20 kids playing - this was a result of the USTA in their infinite wisdom slashing the points for the level 3's - they succeeded in scaring off all those horrible points chasers and in the process pretty much killed off the level 3's. As an example one of the level 3's over Labor Day in the boys 12's had only 8 players! This is just another example of the shambles that has been created by the USTA over National Junior competition. If it wasn't so tragic it would be comical!

You must be talking about 12s.

In 14s, 16s & 18s there are (were) waiting lists (some of them large).

The other thing i notice about the 12s, are the ridiculous sites they've chosen. Midland TX in July, Rapid City in the Sept?, Park City in Jan? No wonder they don't fill up.

Tennis5, thanks for this info, is there a link for this change? I also think it's a shame they're taking away an L3 that a kid can try to play up prior to aging up, or can actually get into his first 6 mos after aging up.

Not to mention, some of these tourneys are old historic tournaments (like the "Texas Open")

tennisforlife77 11-30-2012 05:24 PM

[quote=hound 109;7040670]You must be talking about 12s.

The other thing i notice about the 12s, are the ridiculous sites they've chosen. Midland TX in July, Rapid City in the Sept?, Park City in Jan? No wonder they don't fill up.

Tennis5, thanks for this info, is there a link for this change? I also think it's a shame they're taking away an L3 that a kid can try to play up prior to aging up, or can actually get into his first 6 mos after aging up.

Not to mention, some of these tourneys are old historic tournaments (like the "Texas Open")

I'm not a fan of the changes but we may as well get the facts straight - in the 14's boys only 2 of the 8 draws filled up ( and one of them had less than 32) and in the 16's there were places available in 2 of the 8 locations...

tennisforlife77 11-30-2012 05:24 PM

I'm not a fan of the changes but we may as well get the facts straight - in the 14's boys only 2 of the 8 draws filled up ( and one of them had less than 32) and in the 16's there were places available in 2 of the 8 locations...

tennisforlife77 11-30-2012 05:26 PM

[quote=tennisforlife77;7040697][quote=hound 109;7040670]You must be talking about 12s.

tennisforlife77 11-30-2012 05:28 PM

Sorry - last post was a fat finger

tennis5 11-30-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hound 109 (Post 7040670)
You must be talking about 12s.

No link. Heard it from my sectional.
But, it is official sorry to say.
The pause is just for Hard and Clay reductions.

The July 64 was used by the 4 star kids to be able to play with some better players.

Sad to see this go. Very little opportunity for someone to switch sports at age 12 or 13...

hound 109 12-01-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisforlife77 (Post 7040701)

I went ahead & clicked on a few of this year's draws. You're right. There were some not-full draws in 14s. 2 of them (OKC & in Colorado) had several openings, a couple of others only had one opening (sugesting maybe a last minute withdraw?).

Anyway, the ones i was familiar with (in FL & TX) were full up & as Tennis5 mentioned, it was the one tournament a year that 4 stars get to play national kids & 5 stars have a chance to compete their first 6 months of age up.

Not as big a deal (to me) as the proposed whacking of the Spring & Winter L1s, I just wish they'd quit fixing a splinter on the finger by amputating the whole arm. Instead of whacking the draws in half, move 3 or 4 of the locations to more populated areas. (or just cut the draws to forty eight).

jcc309 12-01-2012 06:32 AM

I hate to see this go. I can speak from the perspective of one of the kids who was given the opportunity to play in the Florida regional because of the 64 draw.

I am only a 2 star junior (11th grade). I haven't been playing tennis for more than 3 or 4 years, and that tournament this summer was my first chance to play in a national tournament. Let me tell you, it was a great experience. I got the chance to go down there with my girlfriend who also plays and spend the weekend in Fort Myers with my academy. I even won a match in the back draw. To get that chance to play really gave me motivation to work harder to get better. It gave me the desire to want to play in college, and now I am looking at schools to play tennis at.

I am disappointed for the kids who may never get a chance to play in a national tournament and get to experience the thrill like I did. It is bad for the game of tennis to not give kids the chance to play in tournaments like these.

tennis5 12-09-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hound 109 (Post 7040670)

Hey Hound,

If you go to TRN today, it is in their article.

http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/article.asp?id=1588

Update from USTA Board Meeting:
The only change that will be implemented for 2013
will be a reduction in the size of the July L3 Regional draws from 64 to 32 participants in each event,
which amounts to a total reduction of 2,048 spots in the 8 regionals.

Good article, a bit all over the place, but I thought this quote was great involving a hedge fund tennis dad, Geoff Grant, in California -

"Grant sees some talented players going to Europe to hone their games,
but he also sees an opportunity for a competing junior circuit to sprout up and allow juniors to bypass the USTA altogether.
One such circuit, with deep pockets, is said to be waiting in the wings."

Competition is what makes America great. Not monopolies.

andfor 12-09-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis5 (Post 7054809)
Hey Hound,

If you go to TRN today, it is in their article.

http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/article.asp?id=1588

Update from USTA Board Meeting:
The only change that will be implemented for 2013
will be a reduction in the size of the July L3 Regional draws from 64 to 32 participants in each event,
which amounts to a total reduction of 2,048 spots in the 8 regionals.

Good article, a bit all over the place, but I thought this quote was great involving a hedge fund tennis dad, Geoff Grant, in California -

"Grant sees some talented players going to Europe to hone their games,
but he also sees an opportunity for a competing junior circuit to sprout up and allow juniors to bypass the USTA altogether.
One such circuit, with deep pockets, is said to be waiting in the wings."

Competition is what makes America great. Not monopolies.

You keep referencing alternative jr. tours. I'd like to see some meat to go with those bones. Got anything other than banter? Not a challenge, just a curious inquiry.

dallasoliver 12-09-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 7054860)
You keep referencing alternative jr. tours. I'd like to see some meat to go with those bones. Got anything other than banter? Not a challenge, just a curious inquiry.

Not an alternative junior tour, but we will be making an announcement with respect to our National Showcase Series on Tuesday afternoon.

Best regards,
Dallas

tennis5 12-10-2012 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 7054860)

The USTA is setting up their new tournament system that was devised by USTA PD coaches about what is good for their few players,
and doesn't take into consideration the other kids that want to play college tennis.
In addition, the USTA is trying to rewrite the tennis landscape where tennis is played in your state only, and you never travel. Period.
( Great if you are in Florida or California or Texas or NY, but dooms everyone else.)
They are trying to appeal to a much larger base, and take away the future kids who play basketball, baseball, etc ( the real athletes).

There is a small group of deep pocket tennis folks who don't want to see this USTA future vision.
And if the cuts are implemented, they will start an alternate junior tennis association.

It has been told to me by 3 separate people, but I don't have any link to refer you to,
except for TRN's news article about changes in Junior Comp that came out a day ago.

Sorry, this is how I get a lot of my information. Word of mouth.
So far, it's all been accurate.

And for the juniors who are reading this and are caught in this tightened web where they can't get into nationals,
I will suggest again High school tennis as a real alternate.
Be your best and get to state, and then call the coaches to come watch you play. They will come to states.

klu375 12-10-2012 06:51 AM

Actually it seems North East region is starting some kind of additional Regionals next year that will not have National ranking points attached to it.

"Intersectional Northeast Regional Championships BG12-18. This tournament will be sanctioned throughout the “Northeast Region” which includes: the New England, Middle States, Mid-Atlantic and Eastern Sections. Selection will be based on each sections quota spot."

hhollines 12-10-2012 11:21 AM

"In addition, the USTA is trying to rewrite the tennis landscape where tennis is played in your state only, and you never travel. Period.
(Great if you are in Florida or California or Texas or NY, but dooms everyone else.)"

Tennis5, thanks for all that great information. A lot of food for thought. I'm in that "dooms everyone else" bracket. At some point, moving to CA or FL may be the smartest thing, of course, if that's feasible. If you get stuck in a weak State, you will love ground so quickly.

Harry

tennis5 12-10-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hhollines (Post 7056225)
"In addition, the USTA is trying to rewrite the tennis landscape where tennis is played in your state only, and you never travel. Period.
(Great if you are in Florida or California or Texas or NY, but dooms everyone else.)"

Tennis5, thanks for all that great information. A lot of food for thought. I'm in that "dooms everyone else" bracket. At some point, moving to CA or FL may be the smartest thing, of course, if that's feasible. If you get stuck in a weak State, you will love ground so quickly.

Harry

I would just chill for now.
Nothing is happening yet, and there is a lot of pressure on the USTA not to make the changes.