Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Tennis after breast implants? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446976)

blakesq 11-30-2012 09:52 AM

Tennis after breast implants?

Hi All,

My wife is getting treated for breast cancer. ONe of the options is to have a double mastectomy with breast implants under the chest muscles. Supposedly women are supposed to be fine to play tennis after healing up after such surgery. I would love to hear any first hand experiences of women who play tennis after such implants, thanks in advance!

BLAKESQ

ollinger 11-30-2012 09:57 AM

I've consulted at a hospital "Breast Center," tennis and other physical activity is not generally a problem except in rare cases where sclerosis of tissue in the area develops.

blakesq 11-30-2012 10:07 AM

But having the implants UNDER the chest muscle must change things, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7039899)
I've consulted at a hospital "Breast Center," tennis and other physical activity is not generally a problem except in rare cases where sclerosis of tissue in the area develops.

themitchmann 11-30-2012 10:11 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife. I wish you both the best.

A client of mine went through the same thing and she is playing tennis without any problems.

LeeD 11-30-2012 11:56 AM

You'll lose 1/2 a step, the exact amount depending on amount of filling. The 1/2 step is not physical, but caused by something clicking in your head.
Your overheads are bothered, the serve less so, and you'll tend to stay back a bit, rather than close in tight to net position. And your groundies might actually get stronger, balanced by you less movement along the baseline.

r2473 11-30-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7040112)
You'll lose 1/2 a step, the exact amount depending on amount of filling. The 1/2 step is not physical, but caused by something clicking in your head.
Your overheads are bothered, the serve less so, and you'll tend to stay back a bit, rather than close in tight to net position. And your groundies might actually get stronger, balanced by you less movement along the baseline.

Do your breast implants affect your ability to windsurf LeeD?

kslick 11-30-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakesq (Post 7039885)
Hi All,

My wife is getting treated for breast cancer. ONe of the options is to have a double mastectomy with breast implants under the chest muscles. Supposedly women are supposed to be fine to play tennis after healing up after such surgery. I would love to hear any first hand experiences of women who play tennis after such implants, thanks in advance!

BLAKESQ

Just read a recent study saying a double mastectomies may not be needed as they once were. Can't find the article but also heard it on CNN. Just a FYI and something to look into. Good luck to you and your wife.

LeeD 11-30-2012 01:12 PM

Yes, it allow me to carry my weight up high, like a weight vest, so I can successfully hold bigger sails for more constant speed, and to block other sailor's wind, while causing a bigger wake for them to try to sail thru.
Also, I've had 3 ex girlfriends who not only played tennis (not well, but at least they played), who had breast implants while I was their boyfriend, so I got to see the changes in their movement and game.
I also had two ex girlfriends who didn't have breast implants, ever, and saw the lack of change in their tennis games.
Oh, when racing slalom, I prefer about 22 lbs of weight around my torso, something implants might have a problem fullfilling. That's like 3 gallons of silicone.

sureshs 11-30-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7040264)
Yes, it allow me to carry my weight up high, like a weight vest, so I can successfully hold bigger sails for more constant speed, and to block other sailor's wind, while causing a bigger wake for them to try to sail thru.
Also, I've had 3 ex girlfriends who not only played tennis (not well, but at least they played), who had breast implants while I was their boyfriend, so I got to see the changes in their movement and game.
I also had two ex girlfriends who didn't have breast implants, ever, and saw the lack of change in their tennis games.
Oh, when racing slalom, I prefer about 22 lbs of weight around my torso, something implants might have a problem fullfilling. That's like 3 gallons of silicone.

So you had 3 girlfriends who all had breast implants? Were they all your girlfriends at the same time? Is this a coincidence or did you have so many girlfriends that it was just a statistical thing?

LuckyR 11-30-2012 02:07 PM

My guess is that the experience of those who have breast augmentation will differ significantly from those with breast reconstruction.

LeeD 11-30-2012 02:10 PM

I'm 63 years old. Never been married, so have had a few g/f's.
By my third year of tennis, I'd already had 3 tennis playing g/f's, well, one was only 3 dates, but we were regular practice partners even a year after our dating.
I've been playing tennis for 27 odd years since. Still single, still 5'11" and just under 150 lbs., still blabbly and outgoing, still tan and somewhat fit. And still single. Yes, Kiteboard says I look like Yoda from StarWars. He also drools over my current g/f.
Just like in my windsurfing career, a fit, slim, outgoing single guy can get all the girls that they want. It's no secret. I'm usually a better choice than a fat, out of shape old fart who's set in his life's ways. I can adapt and adopt, and sports IS my life, not work and career.
No, I will never date what you guys call a "10". I know that, and I can accept that.

v-verb 11-30-2012 03:18 PM

Best wishes for your wife - speedy recovery

sureshs 11-30-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7040365)
I'm 63 years old. Never been married, so have had a few g/f's.
By my third year of tennis, I'd already had 3 tennis playing g/f's, well, one was only 3 dates, but we were regular practice partners even a year after our dating.
I've been playing tennis for 27 odd years since. Still single, still 5'11" and just under 150 lbs., still blabbly and outgoing, still tan and somewhat fit. And still single. Yes, Kiteboard says I look like Yoda from StarWars. He also drools over my current g/f.
Just like in my windsurfing career, a fit, slim, outgoing single guy can get all the girls that they want. It's no secret. I'm usually a better choice than a fat, out of shape old fart who's set in his life's ways. I can adapt and adopt, and sports IS my life, not work and career.
No, I will never date what you guys call a "10". I know that, and I can accept that.

Well, my take on it is that if you are "dating," it better be with a 9 or a 10. Marriage is a compromise. But what is the point of dating below a 9?

That is why I shudder most times when I see the women that men are caught with in an extra-marital affair. I am like, you ruined your marriage for this?

charliefedererer 11-30-2012 05:49 PM

Sorry to hear your wife has breast cancer.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for her.

In tough times, sometimes it is good to have something more pleasant to look forward to - like tennis.

I'm sure your wife will be given post-operative range of motion arm exercises because of the discomfort encountered with arm movement early in the post-op period.

But is there a little time before her surgery?
One of the current concepts in those undergoing surgery is "pre-hab".
Basically this is starting rehab therapy before the procedure has occurred.
It will lead to a quicker recovery, both because the patient is slightly stronger, but largely because the exercise patterns are already known.
If you wife is not already doing the thrower's ten exercises, now would be a good time to start, providing she is in the proper frame of mind to do so.
Thrower's Ten Exercises: http://www.muhlenberg.edu/pdf/main/a...throwers10.pdf

It is also natural to have periods of feeling "down" and "anxious" both before after the surgery.
Many physicians are advocating "exercise therapy" as a way to stay fit, take your mind off other problems, and even sleep better.
Using an exercise bike would be an example of a fitness strategy that could be started relatively soon post-op.

Again, sorry to hear you both will be going through all this, but if future tennis enjoyment is a motivation for a quicker recovery, that's great.