Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Can Other Nationalities Play Sectionals And Zonals? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=446986)

tennis5 11-30-2012 11:42 AM

Can Other Nationalities Play Sectionals And Zonals?

So, I guess this is a dumb question, which I am hoping someone can answer.

But, I keep seeing two scenarios constantly going on:

1) On TRN, a player who is from a foreign country plays sectionals and zonals and regionals.

2) On TRN, a player who says they are from here and plays sectionals and zonals here ,
but plays ITFs with another country's name for easier access to the ITF's in this country.

My question is are sectionals and zonals and even regionals open to juniors from other countries?

( excluding Canada from this discussion).

Thanks.

db10s 11-30-2012 12:01 PM

I think it's better dealt with on a case by case basis.... Seems like many different factors could determine the outcome, and all of the factors would need to be analyzed.

db10s 11-30-2012 12:04 PM

I would assume there is a loophole somewhere, but to answer the question, no, or at least that's what I THINK...

Alohajrtennis 11-30-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis5 (Post 7040080)

1) On TRN, a player who is from a foreign country plays sectionals and zonals and regionals.

2) On TRN, a player who says they are from here and plays sectionals and zonals here ,
but plays ITFs with another country's name for easier access to the ITF's in this country.

My question is are sectionals and zonals and even regional open to juniors from other countries?

Thanks.

They are open to permanent residents of the sections. They don't have to be US Citizens.

Another possibility is that TRN is showing their current residency, which may not be the same residency they had when they played in that event. I have noticed that when a player moves and changes sections, when you go back and look at the results it shows the current section for the player rather than the section they were a resident of a the time they played the event.

Alohajrtennis 11-30-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

My question is are sectionals and zonals and even regionals open to juniors from other countries?

Thanks.

I think with ITF you just have to be a citizen of the country, you don't have to reside there. So, a player can have there residence in the US, and play USTA events, and then play ITF's under their home country.

db10s 11-30-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alohajrtennis (Post 7040150)
They are open to permanent residents of the sections. They don't have to be US Citizens.

Another possibility is that TRN is showing their current residency, which may not be the same residency they had when they played in that event. I have noticed that when a player moves and changes sections, when you go back and look at the results it shows the current section for the player rather than the section they were a resident of a the time they played the event.

Yep, thats what I was going to say but it disappeared from my brain when I started typing.... And now that you say it, I remember what I wanted to say.... I hate when that happens. :mad:

klu375 11-30-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

You need to define more precisely what you mean by "from another country". If you mean not a US Citizen then yes. If you mean random foreign tourist - then no.
For example this is from Winter Nationals Website in Arizona:
This event is restricted to the following Jr. players: U.S. Citizens; Permanent Resident Aliens; Diplomats, Refugees/Asylees; CTA and Canadian Residents of BC. Refer to USTA Regulation III.A.2a.

Sectionals and Zonals follow the same rules - check your sectionals web site.