Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Really need help choosing shoes -Asics GR4, CB 4.3 or Vapor 9? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447009)

Wolfdale 11-30-2012 03:36 PM

Really need help choosing shoes -Asics GR4, CB 4.3 or Vapor 9?

Hi guys,

I'm currently using a Barricade 6 that is giving me blisters and leg pain. I don't really like the Barricades, so buying a 7.0 is out of question. Apart from comfort, I'm really looking for fast shoes.

Up to now I've tried (on stores) the CB 4.3, which I really liked (I felt that I could reach any ball, like Nadal), as well as the Asics GR4, that I found fantastic but not did fit perfectly in any size. Also tested the Vapor 9, I did like it, although I didn't think it was fantastic. The main factor that appeals to me so much in the Vapor 9 is that Federer uses it.

So I'm taking great care choosing my next pair of shoes, since here in Brazil a Vapor 9 costs as much as 215 dollars, so buying more than one pair is impossible. I need durable shoes, that can last 5 days a week of playing, 4 hours a day.

Thank you very much for the help!

PhotoBlue 11-30-2012 05:33 PM

Vapor 9 is an amazing shoe, but I would not recommend it to you because the durability is pretty bad. I haven't tried 4.3 or GR4, but if durability is an issue, don't get the vapors...

Davis Cup Fan 11-30-2012 06:41 PM

I have the asics and they are a great durable shoe. They also didnt fit at first but then it felt like they pillowed around my foot. I love them but they may not be as fast as you are looking for.

Winners or Errors 11-30-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfdale (Post 7040521)
Hi guys,

I'm currently using a Barricade 6 that is giving me blisters and leg pain. I don't really like the Barricades, so buying a 7.0 is out of question. Apart from comfort, I'm really looking for fast shoes.

Up to now I've tried (on stores) the CB 4.3, which I really liked (I felt that I could reach any ball, like Nadal), as well as the Asics GR4, that I found fantastic but not did fit perfectly in any size. Also tested the Vapor 9, I did like it, although I didn't think it was fantastic. The main factor that appeals to me so much in the Vapor 9 is that Federer uses it.

So I'm taking great care choosing my next pair of shoes, since here in Brazil a Vapor 9 costs as much as 215 dollars, so buying more than one pair is impossible. I need durable shoes, that can last 5 days a week of playing, 4 hours a day.

Thank you very much for the help!

Word to the wise: the Barricade 6's are awful. The Barricade 7 is a completely different shoe and fits like a glove, but it seems to have less heel cushioning, so beware on that account.

CB 4.3 = awful Nike lacing system designed to fall apart before the sole wears out... My 3.3s (same lacing system) both had that happen, and I literally poked holes through the upper so I could continue wearing them. Boycotting Nike, even though I love their shoes, until they change that part of the shoe.

Asics = no idea. That's my next stop, probably.

hcb0804 12-01-2012 01:55 AM

Yonex Power Cushion 308. Best shoes on planet earth.

HarryB-97 12-01-2012 01:30 PM

Just because federer wears the vapour 9 doesn't necessarily mean you should get it. He wears a completely custom made version with his own custom outsole and the mid foot part of the outsole is made from carbon fibre. So yeah...

Francis27 12-01-2012 01:35 PM

CB 4.3's but i adidas b7's arent there so id go with the CB's

rafafan20 12-01-2012 04:31 PM

I'm personally a huge fan of the 4.3s but it all depends on what fits your feet best.

purple-n-gold 12-01-2012 05:05 PM

If you're looking for fast and light I'd go with the Vapors or Gr4s, very similiar imo. The C.Bs felt a little clunky and similiar shoe to the Barricade, prob the most durable.

3fees 12-01-2012 05:06 PM

Yonex Power Cushion 308 is worth a look, better a try on a local sporting good store.

:mrgreen:

purple-n-gold 12-01-2012 05:13 PM

Got a new pair of the yy 308s still in the box never tried em, went up 1/2 size as toe box was snug and thats what was rec..psyched to try them but gotta wear out a couple old pairs first.

ramos77 12-02-2012 04:25 AM

dont discount the B7

its an awesome shoe and very durable

it just depends on your foot, and what fits you best

dont get the vapors if you cant afford new ones again

dreamneedle 12-04-2012 01:17 PM

4.3s are great for me except for the lacing system and awkward tongue which I've learnt to deal with.
Had blisters twice from thin cotton socks so I only wear thick/running socks.

dreamneedle 12-04-2012 01:20 PM

EDIT: Uhm, I got blisters a few years back with different shoes so they weren't related to the 4.3CBs.

eidolonshinobi 12-05-2012 04:03 AM

I have used both the GR4 and the B7. I've gone through two GR4s and currently on my first B7. While the comfort isn't as good as the GR4 the traction, support, and durability are there.

Although I still prefer the GR4 if I had to pick one.

mxmx 12-07-2012 05:34 AM

Why did adidas take away their frigging toe protection on the barracades 7 ????

Series 6 had the best protection in this area than any shoe i know of. B6 sucked with comfort though....but the best durability ive seen. The B7 seems more comfortable - just wish they had the toe protection at the top of the shoe :(

mxmx 12-07-2012 05:37 AM

to the OP:

If you want durability and do not drag your toes at the top....go adidas barracade 7....probably the best durability on the market and they seem more comfortable this time around compared to B6