Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Pro Tour 690 same as PT280 oversize? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447030)

El Zed 11-30-2012 11:48 PM

Pro Tour 690 same as PT280 oversize?

Just picked up a PT280 at a rather cheap price, and trying to learn more about the stick. Although info on the pt280 is rather limited, many thoughts as to the pt690 are out there. Is this basically the pt280/630 redux in a 107 sq in head? Would appreciate any insight.

vsbabolat 12-01-2012 05:30 AM

Pro Tour 280 Midplus = Pro Tour 630

Pro Tour 280 Oversize = Pro Tour 690

Here is a very long thread about the ProTour280/630
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...t=pro+tour+280

El Zed 12-02-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsbabolat (Post 7041166)
Pro Tour 280 Midplus = Pro Tour 630

Pro Tour 280 Oversize = Pro Tour 690

Here is a very long thread about the ProTour280/630
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...t=pro+tour+280

Thanks, VS. Came upon that before, also other posts confirming the relationship between the 690 and 280 OS. Interested in this stick's spin potential - if not sufficient, might be an easier racquet for my fiancée to use (from the apdgt) than a regular pt280 (which she likes).

Don't Let It Bounce 12-03-2012 07:19 AM

They were marketed in the U.S. as the PT 280 MP & OS, and in Europe at the PT 630 and 690.

I have a PT 690 whose feel is exquisite. It is like a lower-powered, even more comfortable Bumblebee (original Agassi Trisys 260 OS). Unfortunately it, like many 1990's Head graphite/Twaron composites with 660 or 690 head size, was distorted on some stringer long ago.

El Zed, does yours have its original hoop shape?

El Zed 12-03-2012 08:14 AM

Thank you - should be a fun racquet, definitely interested in how it'll react with BHB7 (which works with the pt280 extremely well). As to the hoop, not sure - pictures look fine, but I really did get the racquet for a song. Will keep you posted.

spaceman_spiff 12-06-2012 05:28 AM

I used to use both at the same time, and the only difference I saw was the lettering on the throat. Both played pretty much the same (slightly different strings being the difference between them).

The spin potential felt slightly more than the original Radical due to the slightly softer flex. Generally, it's one of the best OS rackets I've ever tried.

Fearsome Forehand 12-06-2012 07:45 AM

Same racket with a different decal (as with the Pro Tour 280 and 630 MP. ) Head used the Trisys marketing scheme in the USA but not in Europe.

Hard to compare a MP to an OS; two different animals. But, the 280 OS should be less stiff the that 260 Radical OS as the Trisys numbering system (150 through 300) reflected power level/flex.

The Pro Tour OS was only made for a few years as it was not a big seller (the Agassi Rad OS 260 was Head's primary OS racket.)

El Zed 12-06-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7049482)
Same racket with a different decal (as with the Pro Tour 280 and 630 MP. ) Head used the Trisys marketing scheme in the USA but not in Europe.

Hard to compare a MP to an OS; two different animals. But, the 280 OS should be less stiff the that 260 Radical OS as the Trisys numbering system (150 through 300) reflected power level/flex.

The Pro Tour OS was only made for a few years as it was not a big seller (the Agassi Rad OS 260 was Head's primary OS racket.)

Thanks, FF - so do you believe the 280OS is close enough to the Agassi stick so as to preclude the need to purchase the 260OS "just to try out"? Also, am I totally off base in terms of the anticipated "easier" access to spin due to the wider string-bed (280OS vs. 280MP)?

Fearsome Forehand 12-06-2012 08:21 AM

You can pick up a used Rad fairly cheaply. You will find it a bit firmer, maybe a few points. Not a huge difference. It just depends on what you like. I like flex myself but not beyond a certain point.

With regard to spin, the PT280/630 MP was never intended to be a huge spin machine. It has a dense pattern, 18x20. (The OS is 18x19). However, depending on your strokes, your string, etc., you can certainly get very good spin if desired. Muster and Kuerten weren't exactly lacking for spin. :)

All else equal, in theory, you might get more spin out of the OS due to the string spacing. But, you will probably lose some control as it is an OS. If I hit with an OS, I want to put it down in about 5 minutes and go back to a MP or mid. But, that is strictly a matter of taste.

El Zed 12-06-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7049546)
You can pick up a used Rad fairly cheaply. You will find it a bit firmer, maybe a few points. Not a huge difference. It just depends on what you like. I like flex myself but not beyond a certain point.

With regard to spin, the PT280/630 MP was never intended to be a spin machine. It has a dense pattern, 18x20. (The OS is 18x19). However, depending on your strokes, your string, etc., you can certainly get very good spin if desired. Muster and Kuerten weren't exactly lacking spin. :)

That's what I'm experiencing with the PT280MP at least. Have a post going on in the "modern" racquet section, but finding that the PT280MP is just creating this massively heavy ball with tons of top-spin when coupled with a full-western WW stroke, and Black Widows/BHP7s. While I'm obviously not able to measure RPMs by eye, the end product - as compared to a APDGT - is heavier ball that breaks lower and faster after the first bounce. Hopefully the OS further emphasizes these qualities.

Fearsome Forehand 12-06-2012 08:35 AM

Subjectively, I find it easier to impart heavy spin with a flexible frame. Not sure if the "racket science" agrees with that finding though. I find stiff frames to be lacking feel and the ball seems to bounce off them as it would a wall. I like dwell time myself. I also like heavier frames; 13 ounce range. It is all subjective> Sort of like asking what is your favorite color?

If you find a racket that you really like, hoard them. :)

El Zed 12-06-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 7049567)
Subjectively, I find it easier to impart heavy spin with a flexible frame. Not sure if the "racket science" agrees with that finding though. I find stiff frames to be lacking feel and the ball seems to bounce off them as it would a wall. I like dwell time myself. I also like heavier frames; 13 ounce range. It is all subjective> Sort of like asking what is your favorite color?

If you find a racket that you really like, hoard them. :)

You know, your point about flex actually makes quite a bit of sense.

It's funny at first, I wasn't sold on the Pro Tours (actually preferred the old Fischer Vacuum Pro 90 - which have since been sold) and only appreciated their quality after sometime with the Babolats. Question now is if I sell some of the old prestiges that I picked up and focus on the Pro Tours - have a nagging feeling that I'll regret selling them though...