Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   "love" game etiquette - tennis v/s table tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447034)

rk_sports 12-01-2012 04:01 AM

"love" game etiquette - tennis v/s table tennis

Was watching a table tennis match where the score in one game was 10-0...
commentator said the etiquette says that you usually give at least a point to your opponent...
and just as he said.. the player who had the lead hit the ball into his own court giving a point away...
then the player with 1 point won the next point...
commentator said.. but the etiquette also says that... the next point usually goes to player who just gave the point

Thought that was very sporting etiquette in table tennis :idea:

I'm not aware of such etiquette in tennis... are you?

El Diablo 12-01-2012 08:06 AM

I'd expect a game popular in Asia to have a culture of not "showing up" the other guy. Tennis came out of Europe, where showing someone up is more acceptable.

rk_sports 12-01-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Diablo (Post 7041318)
I'd expect a game popular in Asia to have a culture of not "showing up" the other guy. Tennis came out of Europe, where showing someone up is more acceptable.

ah! that's a plausible analysis :)

SwankPeRFection 12-01-2012 08:53 PM

Only time I give a point away is if the other guy is making a super big deal out of a close call that I know I was absolutely sure about. This usually happens more often in doubles than in singles, but I'll usually dump the following point just to shut his *** up and give him the chance he wanted. Then I still win that game and life goes on. If they really make a big deal about it, I might even make it deuce and then win the game. And then if they're still talking about it at changeover, I follow it up with the "Heck man, I gave you several chances up to deuce and you still failed to close the deal. Face it, that first ball was out and you *****ed and moaned about nothing and then when presented with opportunities, still couldn't do anything about it. Let it go."

Blocker 12-07-2012 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk_sports (Post 7041145)
Was watching a table tennis match where the score in one game was 10-0...
commentator said the etiquette says that you usually give at least a point to your opponent...
and just as he said.. the player who had the lead hit the ball into his own court giving a point away...
then the player with 1 point won the next point...
commentator said.. but the etiquette also says that... the next point usually goes to player who just gave the point

Thought that was very sporting etiquette in table tennis :idea:

I'm not aware of such etiquette in tennis... are you?

I remember Edberg at Wimbledon one time after he won a match 6-0 6-0 6-0 saying he was considering giving his opponent a game but thought he may never be in a position to triple bagel an opponent again so he took it.

rk_sports 12-08-2012 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blocker (Post 7051088)
I remember Edberg at Wimbledon one time after he won a match 6-0 6-0 6-0 saying he was considering giving his opponent a game but thought he may never be in a position to triple bagel an opponent again so he took it.

If the guy after which the ATP's Sportsmanship Award is re-named did that, I guess we can say conclude that there is no such thing in tennis :)