Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Heavy Topspin With A Eastern Grip. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447045)

El Nino 12-01-2012 07:34 AM

Heavy Topspin With A Eastern Grip.

I was experimenting with a Eastern Grip recently and it felt awesome. I could rip forehands all day but when the ball came deep I struggled to generate a good amount of spin. How do you hit a eastern forehand with spin and depth without moonballing?

boramiNYC 12-01-2012 08:37 AM

the regular swing path is very flat. this means arm swings around the torso flat. keeping the contact point up high between waist and shoulder is best. also the contact point needs to be out in front in an open stance. when contact is made the weight should be on the left foot for righty. kick back the right foot to control the racquet face angle. kick back more for more closed face for higher contact or faster rhs. try to avoid weight on right foot on contact.
one important point is the wrist must move very fluid. you cannot hold wrist firm and have topspin for E fh. to control wrist the prep of racquet is very important. racquet up high for prep. thru the swing the racquet should drop and bounce quickly like that infamous 'snap'. this works best with a relaxed wrist and fast arm swing.

since the swing path is more flat not lo to hi, positioning is very important and it should be behind the incoming ball with the anticipation of the contact point and swing path. prep the racquet up high and keep the wrist relaxed, swing fast and weight on the front foot in an open stance.

try it and come again if you have more question.

LeeD 12-01-2012 08:50 AM

Pronate into a WW finish

Larrysümmers 12-01-2012 08:57 AM

by getting under the ball and hitting low to high.

rufus_smith 12-01-2012 09:00 AM

Good advice. I love the eastern forehand grip but it is not optimal for heavy topspin on a deep high ball. Thankfully the newer strings like you have help generate topspin with any type of grip. If you want go for more of " drive" hard topspin forehand you to have a strong wrist so you can close the racquet face a bit and drive through the ball or you could make slight grip adjustment to a "semi-forehand" grip just for those deep high balls. I think Federer may do something like that. Personally I take the lazy route and often hit a deep mini-moonball, sort of a topsin lob, just half as high. Opponents hate it.

El Nino 12-01-2012 09:33 AM

Thanks for the advice. One more thing, Is it better to use a long loop (Gonzo like) or a short, compact loop? (Murray like)

El Nino 12-01-2012 09:34 AM

*Also who is the best pro to model an eastern topspin forehand?

Netspirit 12-01-2012 09:37 AM

Federer, obviously, unless you are as tall as del Potro.

El Nino 12-01-2012 09:41 AM

But Copying Federer is too mainstream:twisted:

boramiNYC 12-01-2012 09:51 AM

Fed or dimitrov and slew of others but Fed has the best control with generous amount of topspin. his racquet control, rhs, and contact point control with fluid footwork are the best. if you can jump, Tsonga creates huge topspin as well.

El Nino 12-01-2012 09:55 AM

I'll experiment with Tsonga and Grigor. On the women's side, Mchale's forehand looks kinda good to copy too. But with Grigor's FH, he has a straight arm, would a double-bend also work with it too?

boramiNYC 12-01-2012 10:12 AM

I find double bend works well also as long as weight is consistently locked on the front foot. I think straight arm locks the wrist for even more consistency for super high pace but for rec level double bend should work fine. McHale uses classic SW fh so the swing is little different. stance is slightly more open and forward weight transfer is not as prominent. but contact point is very close so just keep those in mind. SW swing keeps the racquet not as high as E swing in the take back.

dominikk1985 12-01-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Nino (Post 7041454)
I'll experiment with Tsonga and Grigor. On the women's side, Mchale's forehand looks kinda good to copy too. But with Grigor's FH, he has a straight arm, would a double-bend also work with it too?

grigor uses double bent not straight arm. I said before his FH is more close to Haas than to Fed. his other strokes remind fed though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox97-DQdm00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uozFy1AXrfc

Larrysümmers 12-01-2012 11:17 AM

the take back should be your own thing. what ever feels right to you really, there is no better. i started thinking more of the bigger the backswing, more power. so where am i at on the court, and how much power do i need. that mind set has given me better results than thinking about loops and whatnot.

LeeD 12-01-2012 12:26 PM

I second poster 14.
And practice until you find the right combination of topspin, ball speed, consistency, and placement.

sansaephanh 12-01-2012 02:04 PM

I hit a eastern forehand. All i do swing through a steeper plane. Instead of trying to go through the ball, I get under it and really rip towards the sky.

Granted it wont be as heavy as full western, but its okay cause the trade off is a huge penetrating forehand.

LeeD 12-01-2012 02:39 PM

All my strokes are huge and penetrating when I play a lower level player or one on the skids.
None of my strokes are huge and penetrating when I play a higher level player or a player who's playing his very best.

boramiNYC 12-01-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larrysümmers (Post 7041553)
the take back should be your own thing. what ever feels right to you really, there is no better. i started thinking more of the bigger the backswing, more power. so where am i at on the court, and how much power do i need. that mind set has given me better results than thinking about loops and whatnot.

of course it's individual thing but there are elements that must be there. having racquet up high in relation to the hand is one of them in order for the racquet to bounce down and up for topspin. this is very different than SW cuz in SW a laid back wrist at the contact point by rotation of torso is ready to brush up the ball but for E the wrist bounce is necessary for heavy topspin. and high racquet makes this bounce natural. pros using E have variations in their take back but high racquet prep is a common feature for modern heavy topspin E fh.

TheCheese 12-01-2012 02:55 PM

All you have to do is pronate during the takeback so the racket face is more closed at contact.

LeeD 12-01-2012 03:24 PM

post 19 is one trick lots of players used in the old days of continental forehands... close the face with high elbow, totally wrong grip, but still hit decent topspin forehands...works on the backhand side too.