Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Looking for softer MSV Hex alternative (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447064)

nyc 12-01-2012 11:39 AM

Looking for softer MSV Hex alternative

I'm currently playing full bed of MSV Hex 17 at 52-54# in my IG Prestige Pro.
Whilst I like this setup, I am looking for a Co-poly that has all the positive characteristics, but is a touch softer and has a bit more feel.

I have tried BHBR, and WC Silversting, but keep coming back to MSV Hex for better bite.

I found out about the MSV Hex soft version, and will order that one. Also have a set of BHB7 and will try that next. Any other Co-Poly strings people could recommend as a full bed?

Thanks for any input!

auzzieizm 12-01-2012 11:58 AM

Black Widow is softer with even more bite than MSV. Might be worth a shot

nyc 12-01-2012 12:07 PM

Thanks - will look into it - any others?

cltennis21 12-01-2012 01:06 PM

Msv focus hex soft.

3fees 12-01-2012 05:03 PM

Genesis Hexonic,,

:mrgreen:

nyc 12-01-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cltennis21 (Post 7041689)
Msv focus hex soft.

Will order it as I mentioned

nyc 12-01-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3fees (Post 7041992)
Genesis Hexonic,,

TW doesn't carry it - G&G?

3fees 12-02-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyc (Post 7042014)
TW doesn't carry it - G&G?

No they dont carry Genesis strings,,on eray find them very reasonable price.
I have two sets now 18L 1.09mm--thinest on the market, 3rd generation co poly , $9.50 shipped.

Old Chemist 12-04-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyc (Post 7041582)
Whilst I like this setup, I am looking for a Co-poly that has all the positive characteristics, but is a touch softer and has a bit more feel.

I have tried BHBR, and WC Silversting, but keep coming back to MSV Hex for better bite.

I found out about the MSV Hex soft version, and will order that one. Also have a set of BHB7 and will try that next. Any other Co-Poly strings people could recommend as a full bed?

Thanks for any input!

Try Golden Set Hex poly 18G -- I tried the white version and found it to play like a more comfortable MSV Hex (red).

gd! 12-15-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Thanks for any input!

It has been released! MSV Focus-HEX Plus 38; 38% plus on elasticity vs. the original string.
I was able to test it during the last couple of months, diameters are from 1.15 and thicker. Black, red, white.
Got my 1.15 black reel today - great string, you may try it out. Don't know when G&G or TW will get it, but you can order as of today, directly from MSV.
Sets:
http://www.tennistotal.net/msv-co-po...ets.149.0.html
Reels:
http://www.tennistotal.net/msv-co-po...len.286.0.html

cheers, gd!

Ess 12-15-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Thanks for any input!

I have found tennis nirvana in Kirschbaum Pro Line II 17L @ 50lbs. We hit with the same racquet as well, so I am certain you will not be disappointed.

lucky44 12-15-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auzzieizm (Post 7041600)

Hos is its durability?

nyc 12-15-2012 11:17 AM

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Tried BHB7, and whilst it's plush, it's too sponge-y for my liking. I may give it another try and string 4-5# tighter. Kept going back to MSV Hex for more ball bite.

Next, I'll try
MSV Hex Soft
Black Widow
and I think I have some proline lying around as well, but in a thicker gauge.

gd! 12-15-2012 01:37 PM

Focus-Hex Soft offers 5% more elasticity versus the regular Hex. Have fun...

monomer 12-15-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gd! (Post 7064470)
It has been released! MSV Focus-HEX Plus 38; 38% plus on elasticity vs. the original string.
I was able to test it during the last couple of months, diameters are from 1.15 and thicker. Black, red, white.
Got my 1.15 black reel today - great string, you may try it out. Don't know when G&G or TW will get it, but you can order as of today, directly from MSV.
Sets:
http://www.tennistotal.net/msv-co-po...ets.149.0.html
Reels:
http://www.tennistotal.net/msv-co-po...len.286.0.html

cheers, gd!

Thanks for this info. It is the first I have heard of this. What is your opinion of the Plus 38? I was a big fan of Focus Hex and now really like the Hex Soft. How does this differ from the soft?

gd! 12-16-2012 12:30 PM

Re. Plus 38

I have tested it since Oct, on clay court, hard court, carpet; 3 diameters, 2 different racquets.
Main difference is surely the responsiveness, neither Hex nor Hex Plus is close to +38 in that regard. Players who prefer stiffer strings move on, this ones elasticity/responsiveness is just amazing. In that way it really blows away Black Widow, BHB7 etc.
Anybody who appreciates Hex Plus as a step forward from the original string should give it a try. String it up at same tension, have fun. I don't know but guess TW should it offer in a short while.

nyc 01-19-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gd! (Post 7064867)
Focus-Hex Soft offers 5% more elasticity versus the regular Hex. Have fun...

Had two hitting sessions with Hex Soft comparing with my regular Hex - 2 Matched racquets, strung at same tension for comparison.

not sure if it's the increased elasticity, the thicker gauge than my regular Hex, or both - the Hex Soft strings felt "mushy" to me.

Less spin, less power/action on serves and less control - the only place Hex Soft shines is on volleys, but just barely.

A little disappointed.

Back to the drawing board (aka String Bin)

finalfantasy7 01-19-2013 02:12 PM

I know hex is a shaped poly, but I would try mosquito bite- this for a 18gauge lasts very good.
Underrated string - typical Weiss cannon string very good in all categories

wmilas 01-26-2013 04:36 PM

Gosen sidewinder is softer and its a shaped poly.
Non shaped topspin Cyber flash is extremely soft.

nyc 01-31-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auzzieizm (Post 7041600)

So....gave Black Widow a shot based on your recommendation and stiffness rating. I strung it up couple of pounds tighter than my usual tension as it's a more lively string than the Hex and hit with it for 4 hours so far.

This string is a funny animal....hate at first sight that turns into hot, sweaty passion.

After 30 minutes I was ready to cut it out, but as it's pretty pricey, decided to stick with it for a while longer. This ended up being a really good decision.

Initially it was way too powerful for me and all I could think of was the 13 bucks I just ****ed down the toilet. Constantly hit long and it had way less bite than the Hex, and it didn't feel like I was getting the value for the money.

After half an hour of hard hitting it changed and it got really dialed in - the erratic power is gone and it hits much more precisely. And it's pretty darn comfy with awesome ball bite. Great spin and you can generate tons of pace if you flatten out your shots.

It's definitely a sweet string and I'd switch to it if weren't for the break in period and the price.

We'll see how long it will last - Hex usually lasts me for 4 hours when it turns more flat and plasticky. It widow lasts me twice as long, it may be a good value.

Up next, Volkl Cyclone.