Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Head Graphite Director TXD vs Graphite Edge TXE (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447065)

FedererClone 12-01-2012 11:53 AM

Head Graphite Director TXD vs Graphite Edge TXE

Are these two frames composed of the same material, just different head sizes? Just treated myself to a TXD, awaiting its arrival. Looks like the same make-up/checkered design and '80s artwork on TXE...

mad dog1 12-01-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FedererClone (Post 7041593)
Are these two frames composed of the same material, just different head sizes? Just treated myself to a TXD, awaiting its arrival. Looks like the same make-up/checkered design and '80s artwork on TXE...

i think they are the same composition an just different head sizes like the POG mid and POG OS. got a txd myself that i haven't hit with in a long time. my last recollection was that it's a VERY solid stick with plenty of heft like most sticks from the 80s. i remember getting alot of power due to the long mains in the very oval racquet head shape. i ought to restring mine and take it out for a hit just to refresh my memory.

FedererClone 12-01-2012 02:23 PM

Thanks mad dog, looking forward to testing the 89.5 hoop compared to the 81.1 ...

retrowagen 12-01-2012 02:29 PM

Fundamentally the same composition, though it bears mentioning that Head was historically mum on providing the public the composition percentages of their racquets through the 1980's. My best guess is that they are 90% graphite / 10% Fiberglass composites. The Graphite Edge and Director were more like 80%G/20%F.

I have owned and played with both TXD and TXE. For some reason, I could never get used to the TXD - the sweetspot is rather lower, and the elongated head just felt 'wrong' to me, though the heft and balance were (on paper) to my liking.

FedererClone 12-02-2012 03:15 PM

Interesting point retro... I do like the upper hoop properties of the TXE, but have since preferred hitting with the graphite edge special edition - at least of late. Will let you know my thoughts when the TXD arrives. Both contain twaran, correct? How about the edge special edition?

retrowagen 12-02-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FedererClone (Post 7043363)
Interesting point retro... I do like the upper hoop properties of the TXE, but have since preferred hitting with the graphite edge special edition - at least of late. Will let you know my thoughts when the TXD arrives. Both contain twaran, correct? How about the edge special edition?

No, neither TXE nor TXD contain Twaron - it hadn't been released by manufacturer Enka BV to OEM's (such as Head) when the TXE and TXD were introduced in 1984. The TXE and TXE were available through 1985, and swept aside in 1986 for the Pro series "midplus" series, which averaged the headsize of the Director and Edge series. Twaron was incorporated in certain models for 1986-on (such as the TXP in the NA market, or the concurrent Prestige Pro for other markets).

As far as the Edge SE is concerned, I doubt it had Twaron in its layup, though chronologically it is possible (dating from 1987). The SE Edge was an odd racquet, but a good one. It seems as though Head decided to give the Edge series composite frame a proper plastic bumper guard, but the only one they had developed was for the 1984 TXE, which had a less dense string pattern than the "old" Graphite Edge. So it appears they used the TXE's drill pattern and grommets on the GE (for those who don't know, the TXE had a thinner beam section in plan view than the older "box beam" Graphite Edge). The last gasp of the Graphite Edge models was the 1988 Graphite Edge 2, again with the open string pattern and bumper used on the TXE and SE Edge.

FWIW, I think the TXE is the second best racquet Head has ever made. :)

FedererClone 12-05-2012 10:19 AM

Thanks Retro - also chasing a Graphite PRO Mid Plus to add to the collection, intrigued by its make-up. Am going to sell most of my Wilson sticks (except for Graphite Force and Sting SC) and take the HEAD path...

retrowagen 12-05-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FedererClone (Post 7048142)
Thanks Retro - also chasing a Graphite PRO Mid Plus to add to the collection, intrigued by its make-up. Am going to sell most of my Wilson sticks (except for Graphite Force and Sting SC) and take the HEAD path...

Cool, I've always thought highly of the elder Head models. The only negative thing about them - in my view - is the propensity for brittle plastic grommets. Some opt to address this common malady and also modernise the older Head models with more recent CAP grommetsets, but I personally think the racquets that didn't have full-length CAPS originally play best without full-length CAPS, being too sluggish with the extra weight. Just my two cents...

FedererClone 12-06-2012 06:56 AM

The brittle grommets are a huge issue on the Head sticks. In fact the Special Edition i have is a rare one w/ solid grommets.

The upper hoop response on the TXE feels better than any frame I've hit with - including the Special Edition I am currently grooving with... intrigued to slowly go through the head line of sticks up to the prestige (so recommendations appreciated)... although I am curious about the feel of an 89.5 compared to the 81.1 ... also inching to hit with twaran in a Head stick at some point

will let you know! Cheers, S

FedererClone 12-20-2012 06:07 AM

Well just rec'd TXD... the head on this thing seems huge compared to TXE ! looks /feels bigger than 89.5", but maybe due to the "hoopy" shape of its head.... was this a prestige precursor? Only later Head stick I tried years ago was Muster's PT 230 stick, all other Head's have been the 81.1 variety so intrigued to see how she feels on the court. Will upload some pics later tennis junkies...

Will hit with this stick today and compare in feel to TXE. Will take pics side by side...

retrowagen 12-20-2012 09:29 AM

Yeah, the head size of the TXD is more like 95 sq-in, not 89. Definitely longer than the TXP or other "Pro"-series 600cm2/89.5's.

In comparing the TXE and TXD: I think you'll find that each generates (or transmits) power differently. The TXE, as its sweetspot is further from your hand, has more "leverage" when the ball is hit cleanly. The TXD, with its "snowshoe" head, has longer mains and will tend to trampoline the ball moreso. Its sweetspot seems much closer to one's hand.

In its day, the Director-series frames were Head's closest foray into Oversize hitting area territory - they were trying to engineer a solution that had as large a head as possible, but as little string 'trampoline' (the main complaint of the Prince OS frames back in the day, and the primary reason why the pros and purists steered away from them, leaving them for the beginners, weekend warriors, and doctors' wives) as possible. In 1986, they relented, and introduced the Masters (102 in2/660 cm2) head size, which was more elliptical and far less ovoid.

If you have an opportunity to hit your two ur-TX's back-to-back, kindly let us know your impression of each, and how they compare! :)