Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Serve Grip (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447072)

mbm0912 12-01-2012 01:54 PM

Serve Grip

Is your index finger base knuckle always on bevel 2 when serving?

LeeD 12-01-2012 02:06 PM

No, there are no absolute's in tennis, especially regarding grip for whatever stroke.
The vast majority of good tennis players hold with some form of continental grip, usually their volley grip, but not always.
For a flatter ball, some players switch slightly towards eForehand.
For a spinnier ball, some players switch slightly towards eBackhand.
And at least half the servers don't switch at all between different kinds of serves.
In your case, practice your serves, and use the grip that works for each serve.
Your opponent/s know what serve you are going to hit.

mbm0912 12-01-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7041762)
No, there are no absolute's in tennis, especially regarding grip for whatever stroke.
The vast majority of good tennis players hold with some form of continental grip, usually their volley grip, but not always.
For a flatter ball, some players switch slightly towards eForehand.
For a spinnier ball, some players switch slightly towards eBackhand.
And at least half the servers don't switch at all between different kinds of serves.
In your case, practice your serves, and use the grip that works for each serve.
Your opponent/s know what serve you are going to hit.

thanks LeeD!

boramiNYC 12-01-2012 02:58 PM

for me the first joint of the thumb and the first joint of the index finger are pinching exactly the middle of the two biggest bevels.

LeeD 12-01-2012 03:25 PM

So you use exactly the same grip on EVERY serve?
Not saying it's bad, but to use the exact same grip on a flat first serve as a heavy twisted serve just is not the best use of pronation and efficientcy.

boramiNYC 12-01-2012 03:43 PM

actually I do have same grip for all my serves. but I don't think everyone should do the same. as for pros I'm not sure if they vary their serving grip depending on the serves. don't have enough info.

LeeD 12-01-2012 03:47 PM

We might think this through....
Say you have an effective flat fast first serve, conti grip.
Isn't it a good serve because the mechanics are good?
Now picture an AmericanTwist serve. If you held the racket exactly the same way, you'd have to LESSEN your pronation to hit the serve, since it's more an upward brush than a flattenning of the racketface to the ball.
Lessening your pronation would mean less efficient?

boramiNYC 12-01-2012 03:56 PM

there is so many possible control points to vary the serve. stance angle, stance width, hip push or rotation, timing delay of shoulder motion, etc on top of arm and wrist control. changing grip could be another control point but I don't think it necessarily reduces the effectiveness of pronation to have conti for any serve. there always is a way to compensate due to so many options above.

LeeD 12-01-2012 04:44 PM

I'd think that a flat first serve technique is the most efficient, would'nt you agree....for hitting a ball fast, under some control.
So why would you choose to use another technique, less pronation, for your twist serves?
Just some food for thought. I used to NOT pronate much for twist serves, and it's jump up around forehead heights on the good ones. Now I pronate as much as a flat first serve, and the ball SEEMS to be jumping a hair higher, but also has more up and out spin. More spin is good. Height appears to be influenced by how deep I arch the twist serve in....so maybe a consistency issue. I don't practice at all.