Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Tomic is everyone else watching? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447093)

SStrikerR 12-01-2012 07:46 PM

What Tomic is everyone else watching?

I'm confused. I keep reading posts about this Tomic guy, who people say will be a top 10 player, grand slam winner, potentially even number 1. I'm really wonder who this guy is. I've seen Bernard Tomic play, but that can't be him. The Tomic I watch has nice feel, but a crappy serve, no weapons, and unspectacular athletic ability. In short, nothing special. So that can't be the guy people are talking about...right?

Tl;dr version

Tomic sucks. I don't know what crack people are smoking to think he'll be good, but it must be some pretty good stuff.

Sabratha 12-01-2012 07:55 PM

Tomic is a poor man's teenage Federer.

ace_pace 12-01-2012 08:11 PM

Well he is only 19-20 years old and already cracked the top 100. But we will see if he can go any further.

Razoredge 12-01-2012 08:32 PM

I'm watching the guy who made Wimby QF's at 18.

SStrikerR 12-01-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razoredge (Post 7042257)
I'm watching the guy who made Wimby QF's at 18.

Yes because beating a rapidly declining davydenko, Andreev, soderling coming off of a 5 setter, and malisse clearly indicates he's a real gem. Oh, did I mention the amount of times he got bagelled this year? He seems like a very motivated guy who's totally going to put the effort in to become good.

Not.

Also sabratha, I dunno how you feel about Federer but he wasn't THAT bad as a teenager. You're insulting him by even making that comparison.

Razoredge 12-01-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SStrikerR (Post 7042316)
Yes because beating a rapidly declining davydenko, Andreev, soderling coming off of a 5 setter, and malisse clearly indicates he's a real gem. Oh, did I mention the amount of times he got bagelled this year? He seems like a very motivated guy who's totally going to put the effort in to become good.

Not.

Also sabratha, I dunno how you feel about Federer but he wasn't THAT bad as a teenager. You're insulting him by even making that comparison.

Getting to QF's of a slam at 18 is always going to be impressive, please gain some perspective. I'm not saying he's shown that he has the mentality and whatnot to become a great player.

FD3S 12-01-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Not.

I dunno, man. While one decent run in a major isn't exactly a harbinger for greatness, it doesn't change the fact that Tomic was expected to lose all those matches. Maybe if he had he just scraped by Davy and got straight-setted by Andreev then we could chalk it up to one bad match by a veteran, but he played well to beat four seasoned, if not dominant pros.

That Wimby means jack-all for the future at this point, of course, but he did play some legitimately good tennis.

smoledman 12-01-2012 11:31 PM

I was impressed back in 2011 AO when he gave Nadal all he could handle for 2 sets.

helloworld 12-01-2012 11:40 PM

Tomic used to be the best teenager in the world. That's why people expected him to make it big in the pro tour, but he hasn't done so until now.

dominikk1985 12-01-2012 11:44 PM

Could one reason he lost motivation be his dad? His dad seems to be quite an *** and pushed him very hard. a lot of kids with tennis/figure skating or whatever parents lose interest when they are adults because they did not really play for themselves but for their parents.

The Moonballer 12-02-2012 12:02 AM

Tomic is an overrated idiot, talent = slicing the ball? :lol: :lol: :lol:

He has the movement of a sloth, his backhand is trash and his forehand is hit and miss. His serve is also bad for his height. The mug also has no return and no mental fortitude.

tennisfan2010 12-02-2012 12:11 AM

Tomic only beat 4 top 50 opponents this season.

Can't see him defending his AO points, so I expect he'll be ranked somewhere in the 90s after January.

tennisMVP 12-02-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SStrikerR (Post 7042189)
I'm confused. I keep reading posts about this Tomic guy, who people say will be a top 10 player, grand slam winner, potentially even number 1. I'm really wonder who this guy is. I've seen Bernard Tomic play, but that can't be him. The Tomic I watch has nice feel, but a crappy serve, no weapons, and unspectacular athletic ability. In short, nothing special. So that can't be the guy people are talking about...right?

Tl;dr version

Tomic sucks. I don't know what crack people are smoking to think he'll be good, but it must be some pretty good stuff.

R128 Jeremy Chardy................6-4, 6-1, 6-1
R64 Kevin Anderson...............6-3, 6-4, 6-2
R32 Marcos Baghdatis............6-4, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
R16 Michael Llodra................6-3, 6-3, 6-3
Q Bernard Tomic................6-2, 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
S Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.......... 7-6, 6-2, 6-7, 6-3
W Rafael Nadal...................6-4, 6-1, 1-6, 6-3

The Bawss 12-02-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Not.

How many times did he get bagelled this year?

Phoenix1983 12-02-2012 03:53 AM

Tomic is a disgrace.

It's sad that a great tennis nation like Australia will be left with this mug being the 'face' of their tennis after Hewitt retires.

reaper 12-02-2012 04:08 AM

It's been party time for Tomic the Tank Engine. He lives on the Gold Coast in Australia which is a holiday destination for 17/18 year olds who have just finished high school at the end of November. The name given to older guys who try and pick up the drunk young girls is Toolies (Too old for Schoolies). Apparently Tomic was quite a hit with the ladies and was king of the Toolies over the past week. Just what my spies tell me.

Bartelby 12-02-2012 04:52 AM

My God, an average teen exploiting his own celebrity. But yes its not the path to glory, but some australian players used to show up with a hangover.

Sabratha 12-02-2012 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper (Post 7042502)
It's been party time for Tomic the Tank Engine. He lives on the Gold Coast in Australia which is a holiday destination for 17/18 year olds who have just finished high school at the end of November. The name given to older guys who try and pick up the drunk young girls is Toolies (Too old for Schoolies). Apparently Tomic was quite a hit with the ladies and was king of the Toolies over the past week. Just what my spies tell me.

My God, what has Australian tennis become?

NickC 12-02-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helloworld (Post 7042383)
Tomic used to be the best teenager in the world. That's why people expected him to make it big in the pro tour, but he hasn't done so until now.

This.

But his game successive in the juniors because of his consistency. Now when faced against other consistent players who are bigger, more athletic, and have weapons, he isn't as good.

When I watch him, I see a pusher who is too tall and strong to be a pusher, but lacks the balls to go for his shots or hit with real authority and power. He's also a bit immature still.

Sabratha 12-02-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickC (Post 7042735)
This.

But his game successive in the juniors because of his consistency. Now when faced against other consistent players who are bigger, more athletic, and have weapons, he isn't as good.

When I watch him, I see a pusher who is too tall and strong to be a pusher, but lacks the balls to go for his shots or hit with real authority and power. He's also a bit immature still.

I don't see him ever breaking the top 10.