Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Indoor carpet shoes? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447097)

akind 12-01-2012 08:50 PM

Indoor carpet shoes?

Hi all!

What kind of tennis shoes is the best one for playing at indoor carpet court? I am going to visit some relatives who live near an indoor carpet facility...

I have a grass court shoes with dimples on the soles.. will that be good for an indoor carpet court ? I never see or touch this kind of court before.

What is the benefit of having a thin-soled shoes? Is it safer compared to thicker / higher soled shoes ?

Thanks in advance.

Sumo 12-01-2012 09:00 PM

Loafers....

SwankPeRFection 12-01-2012 09:29 PM

Definitely try cleats. My cat gets excellent traction on the carpet when she uses her claws. lol

Just remember, when you end up in the kitchen, switch from claws to pads. ;)

akind 12-01-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection (Post 7042318)
Definitely try cleats. My cat gets excellent traction on the carpet when she uses her claws. lol

Just remember, when you end up in the kitchen, switch from claws to pads. ;)

Thanks for the tips. I might try the cleats.

Gasolina 12-02-2012 03:07 AM

I remember tw selling a carpet ballistec 1.3 with a smooth outsole. Of course, when i saw that i tried my old 1.3 with a worn out sole and i'm not sure they work.

Couldn't change direction quickly and kept slipping. Sliding works though

ramos77 12-02-2012 04:28 AM

gavna 12-02-2012 04:41 AM

No don't wear a grass court dimpled shoe...I bet the facility wouldn't even allow it. My old facility had indoor carpet and one of the regs was you had to use shoes that were carpet specific or normal off the shelf tennis shoe. You couldnt use a grass nor a clay court shoe with all the exposed herringbone edges.

Whatever you wear on hard courts should be fine.

3fees 12-02-2012 04:19 PM

Indoor carpet shoes?

totally smooth soles-no pattern what so ever.

:mrgreen:

akind 12-02-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7042525)
No don't wear a grass court dimpled shoe...I bet the facility wouldn't even allow it. My old facility had indoor carpet and one of the regs was you had to use shoes that were carpet specific or normal off the shelf tennis shoe. You couldnt use a grass nor a clay court shoe with all the exposed herringbone edges.

Whatever you wear on hard courts should be fine.

Thanks a million gavna, I think I'll get some pairs of regular tennis shoes or if I can get smooth soled tennis shoes.

gavna 12-04-2012 03:56 PM

Just FYI good examples would be the adidas Adizero feather II - has a full flat sole or the Nike court ballistics 4.3

jjaded 12-04-2012 09:41 PM

If you search you can see what indoor carpet shoes look like on UK sites, I haven't seen them for sale in the US. The sole looks more like a squash/racquetball sole, but I think they are more sturdy than gum rubber.

fuzz nation 12-12-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akind (Post 7043758)
Thanks a million gavna, I think I'll get some pairs of regular tennis shoes or if I can get smooth soled tennis shoes.

They may vary a bit from one facility to another, but the one place near me with indoor carpets had INSANE traction the first time I played there. My regular hard court tennis sneaks were rather new, so they had a good fresh tread, but this wasn't a good thing on the carpet. It actually put a lot of extra stress on my legs because there was so much less give when I'd change direction. Running in a straight line was okay, but pivoting and moving laterally was tricky because my feet stuck to the court too much. MUCH too much!

After that first outing, I've been smart enough to keep some older sneaks handy so that I can get just the right traction I need if I go back there. While the difference might seem minimal on a local hard court with smoother vs. fresher treads, it's an incredible difference on a carpet.

For the record, I also have some grass court shoes and I wouldn't bring those things anywhere near a carpeted court. :shock:

Rusty669 12-12-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzz nation (Post 7059405)
They may vary a bit from one facility to another, but the one place near me with indoor carpets had INSANE traction the first time I played there. My regular hard court tennis sneaks were rather new, so they had a good fresh tread, but this wasn't a good thing on the carpet. It actually put a lot of extra stress on my legs because there was so much less give when I'd change direction. Running in a straight line was okay, but pivoting and moving laterally was tricky because my feet stuck to the court too much. MUCH too much!

After that first outing, I've been smart enough to keep some older sneaks handy so that I can get just the right traction I need if I go back there. While the difference might seem minimal on a local hard court with smoother vs. fresher treads, it's an incredible difference on a carpet.

For the record, I also have some grass court shoes and I wouldn't bring those things anywhere near a carpeted court. :shock:

Definately only wear shoes with a special outsole if you are playing on carpet.
If you wear regular shoes with normal traction, even if they have been used quite a bit, the traction will probably be too much.
You won't be able to slide on the court, and as a result you will be "stuck" when trying to move from one direction to the other quickly.
This is especially dangerous for your knees and ankles.
You can do some serious damage, honestly!

3fees 12-19-2012 06:45 PM

Here's a few :

Nike Air Max Global Court Carpet Shoes
Nike Mens Air Max Court Ballistec 1.2 Indoor Carpet Tennis Shoes
Babolat Mens V-Pro Indoor Carpet Tennis Shoes
K-Swiss Grancourt II Indoor Carpet Tennis Shoe
K-Swiss K-Force Indoor Carpet Tennis Shoes
K-Swiss Grancourt II Indoor Carpet Tennis Shoes
K-Swiss Mens Outshine Indoor Carpet Tennis Shoes
K-Swiss Mens Approach II Indoor Carpet Tennis Shoes
K-Swiss Mens Ultrascendor Indoor Carpet Tennis Shoes
K-Swiss Mens Accomplish LS Indoor Carpet Tennis Shoes