Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The off-season - the best time to watch old matches? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447106)

tennis_pro 12-02-2012 04:26 AM

The off-season - the best time to watch old matches?
 
So there I was flicking through tennis videos on youtube a couple of days ago (like a typical addict) and ended up watching the Mc vs the Borg at 1980 US Open - a match I would usually get bored of after 3 minutes. This time however I viewed the whole thing with interest. Then I went through Fed-Bellucci at IW this year - which was pretty boring until mid 3rd set. Once again, it felt like a great match when I rewatched it recently.

I guess when the season is in full flight one doesn't cherish the matches as much cause they occur so often.

Sabratha 12-02-2012 01:13 PM

You can find beautiful gems like them on Youtube.

TennisA 12-02-2012 01:38 PM

I can never seem to watch an entire old match :?. If a tennis match isn't live, I generally can't get interested enough to watch one for more than 30 minutes.

librarysteg 12-02-2012 01:50 PM

I'm looking forward to 30 matches on Tennis Channel this month. I'm watching the Tipsarevic/Raonic match right now. I've never made a point to back and watch old classic matches, though. I should.

Sabratha 12-02-2012 02:00 PM

I've been watching the 2002 US Open final. :D

slowfox 12-03-2012 12:17 AM

Sometimes watching old matches that you know are good is better than taking a chance on a new live event which might turn out to be a bore-fest. Of course, you never know when a live match will turn out awesome. Let's just say I like watching tennis, any tennis...

tacou 12-03-2012 08:58 AM

Is that Australian Open TV website around from last year? that was gold

tacou 12-03-2012 09:00 AM

BOOM: http://vault.australianopentv.com/

They have the 2012 matches up, not sure if they added more classics

Moose Malloy 12-03-2012 10:35 AM

^I haven't checked that site in a while, they just added some matches I've wanted to see for some time.

1996 QF: Agassi d Courier 6-7(7) 2-6 6-3 6-4 6-2
1995 4R: Sampras d Larsson 4-6 6-7(4) 7-5 6-4 6-4
1995 4R: Krickstein d Edberg 6-7(6) 5-7 6-4 7-6(5) 6-4

Power Player 12-03-2012 10:45 AM

Sweet, I could watch Agassi the rest of my life and it never gets old. He still has the most inspiring strokes and tennis game I have seen.

pc1 12-03-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_pro (Post 7042486)
So there I was flicking through tennis videos on youtube a couple of days ago (like a typical addict) and ended up watching the Mc vs the Borg at 1980 US Open - a match I would usually get bored of after 3 minutes. This time however I viewed the whole thing with interest. Then I went through Fed-Bellucci at IW this year - which was pretty boring until mid 3rd set. Once again, it felt like a great match when I rewatched it recently.

I guess when the season is in full flight one doesn't cherish the matches as much cause they occur so often.

The 1980 Borg McEnroe match isn't exactly one of my favorites. I didn't think the first set was that well played by Borg and for a match often called the best ever, that's not good. I think the match is overrated. I like the 1984 US Open semi of Connors and McEnroe better. The 1977 Wimbledon semi of Borg against Gerulaitis was in my opinion a better match also. It's just that the 1980 match had that exciting tiebreaker and long fifth set.

The-Champ 12-03-2012 11:15 AM

Highlights like this one;

How agressive are these guys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39MR-RgCzm8

pc1 12-03-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The-Champ (Post 7044572)
Highlights like this one;

How agressive are these guys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39MR-RgCzm8

Have to go out but I decided to check out the beginning of that match. I got exhausted just watching the first point. Ouch.:)

Thanks.

The-Champ 12-03-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pc1 (Post 7044581)
Have to go out but I decided to check out the beginning of that match. I got exhausted just watching the first point. Ouch.:)

Thanks.

ur welcome.

amazing highlight. nobody hit the ball as clean as AA, and that bh is the best ever for me.

Power Player 12-03-2012 11:54 AM

Oh wow that agassi match is gold. yessss. I seriously just need to copy his game as much as I can.

Avles 12-03-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacou (Post 7044343)
BOOM: http://vault.australianopentv.com/

They have the 2012 matches up, not sure if they added more classics

Wow, I had no idea this existed and it looks great. Thanks for posting it!

cluckcluck 12-03-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacou (Post 7044343)
BOOM: http://vault.australianopentv.com/

They have the 2012 matches up, not sure if they added more classics

Some nice classic matches, it's nice to see when the courts were faster than the molasses they play on now.

smoledman 12-03-2012 12:34 PM

I like to rewatch Fed/Tipsy from 2008 AO. That was some epic tennis right there.

PhrygianDominant 12-03-2012 12:37 PM

I have been watching classic Agassi as well a lot this week. I loved his no BS play and his poker face between points. I also need to copy his game a lot. I actually didn't like Agassi at all for a long time, until I started playing a lot more, then I developed an appreciation for what he does well. I also realised that he and I have similar builds and similar strengths and weaknesses for our respective levels. I have decided to study Agassi matches and craft myself into a little rec level Agassi. Wish me luck!

EDIT: I got on this Agassi thing from trying to watch all the Sampras Agassi finals. I ended up falling in love with Agassi's play from trying copy Sampras' serve. Wierd huh? Being a tennis player is like being a music lover. There is always some new band to discover, exactly like some new tennis player, old and new.

PhrygianDominant 12-03-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoledman (Post 7044699)
I like to rewatch Fed/Tipsy from 2008 AO. That was some epic tennis right there.

Also just watched this one. WOW was that a good match.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse