Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Opponent Itis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447111)

Playtennis 12-02-2012 06:22 AM

Opponent Itis

I have a match today. One opponent on team i do not want to play. Its all fear driven- like " what if i double fault, what if i dont pkay well." I may not even play her but its someone ive known for a longtime who i want to impress if i play. Advice??????

Cindysphinx 12-02-2012 06:58 AM

Oh, man. I have this problem all the time.

I've been playing long enough that it is very common for me to play someone I know. I guess after a while you get used to it, but I can understand why you are nervous. It's easy to get sucked into overhitting or getting cute or anticipating what the opponent will do based on what she has done in the past.

The classic advice is this: Play the ball, not the opponent. Don't overthink it. See ball, hit ball. If you start missing, focus even more on the ball.

Avoid chitchat before and during the match. No need to be rude, but focus on what you are doing well and what needs to be done better.

And remember -- she may be equally nervous playing you!

tennis tom 12-02-2012 07:06 AM

Need more details. Pros play each other all the time. When a new kid comes up they have problems because they haven't seen their game before, after a few matches there's a book on them.

IA-SteveB 12-02-2012 08:02 AM

I know what you mean. I used to get that way when people would watch my matches. I want to play well for them but that can really do bad things to your game. As Cindy said, maintain your focus. Everything else will fall into line.

dizzlmcwizzl 12-02-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Playtennis (Post 7042594)
I have a match today. One opponent on team i do not want to play. Its all fear driven- like " what if i double fault, what if i dont pkay well." I may not even play her but its someone ive known for a longtime who i want to impress if i play. Advice??????

Had a funny related incident today. We were playing an indoor contract this morning. A group of 3.0-3.5 ladies were in the lobby about 5 feet from us when I hit an ace to hold for the set. I did a little trash talking to my friends by pointing out I wanted to win it with an "ace for the ladies".

Well the interesting thing was I think by mentioning the ladies to my friends they started to push. For about 15 minutes they could not find the court with anything.

The thing to take away from this is that by focusing on anything except play you cannot possibly perform very well. Obsessing about not wanting to play against someone else is not going to turn out well unless you can figure out how to get out of your own head.

LeeD 12-02-2012 12:54 PM

Focus within....
You opponent is NOT the other person, but your yourself first and foremost. Secondary is the ball your opponent his, not her or him.