Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Yonex VCore Xi 100 swingweight (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447165)

Jack Romeo 12-02-2012 06:53 PM

Yonex VCore Xi 100 swingweight
 
On the TWE website, the swingweights for both the 300 and 280 g versions are mentioned in the specs and they're rather surprising. The 280, especially, is supposedly measured at 337! That's very high for a 296 g strung weight. The balance is even, and I'm guessing the weight distribution is pretty polarized probably due to the microcore thingy. But even on some head-heavy frames, the swingweight isn't this high. So I don't know if this figure is correct. Given it's light static weight, does a high swingweight like this compromise maneuverability and racket-head speed potential (which is related to spin potential)?

On the other hand, the 300 g version is supposed to be 324 in swingweight. This is totally believable as many other 11 oz sticks have had similar swingweights. I usually prefer these specs. In fact, when many of the 11 oz range sticks came out in the last 2 years (the 2012 Pure Drives, the IG Instincts, etc.) with sub-310 swingweights, I thought they were compromising on the stability and solidness of these rackets. Still, 324 is significantly higher than the similarly-weighted and balanced older VCore 100s, but that has been described by some as flimsy. Again, I think the microcore thingy is the reason for the higher swingweight as it polarizes the weight distribution throughout the frame. The description says it should have more stability and better feel, so we can infer it to be more solid. This might be reasonable to expect, given the higher swingweight. But I wonder if the spin production would be affected as some people used to the old specs might find it a bit harder to generate the same racket-head speed.

wrainsberger 12-03-2012 10:01 PM

Tagging along as I'd like to hear an answer to this as well.

Shaochieh 12-03-2012 11:47 PM

Old vcore 100 and 98D was lack of power and mass. I am glade Yonex realized the problem. I would of continue to play with the 98D instead I am playing the Xi98. The Yonex xi98 is a bit too powerful for me and I am really looking forward to the Xi 98D.

wrainsberger 12-04-2012 07:27 AM

I've hit with both the Ezone Xi 98 & 100, the Vcore 98d and the 100s. My pick out if the group was the 100s, just worked for me. The Ezones had too much power for my taste and the 98d was ok, but I was landing shots too short in the court or dumping them into the net. The 100s was great, loved it.

Federerkblade 12-04-2012 07:32 AM

im guessing youre referring to the old 100s

julian 12-04-2012 07:42 AM

NEW Yonex Vcore better for baseliners?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Romeo (Post 7043592)
On the TWE website, the swingweights for both the 300 and 280 g versions are mentioned in the specs and they're rather surprising. The 280, especially, is supposedly measured at 337! That's very high for a 296 g strung weight. The balance is even, and I'm guessing the weight distribution is pretty polarized probably due to the microcore thingy. But even on some head-heavy frames, the swingweight isn't this high. So I don't know if this figure is correct. Given it's light static weight, does a high swingweight like this compromise maneuverability and racket-head speed potential (which is related to spin potential)?

On the other hand, the 300 g version is supposed to be 324 in swingweight. This is totally believable as many other 11 oz sticks have had similar swingweights. I usually prefer these specs. In fact, when many of the 11 oz range sticks came out in the last 2 years (the 2012 Pure Drives, the IG Instincts, etc.) with sub-310 swingweights, I thought they were compromising on the stability and solidness of these rackets. Still, 324 is significantly higher than the similarly-weighted and balanced older VCore 100s, but that has been described by some as flimsy. Again, I think the microcore thingy is the reason for the higher swingweight as it polarizes the weight distribution throughout the frame. The description says it should have more stability and better feel, so we can infer it to be more solid. This might be reasonable to expect, given the higher swingweight. But I wonder if the spin production would be affected as some people used to the old specs might find it a bit harder to generate the same racket-head speed.

Let us assume that numbers for NEW rackets are correct.
Would you say that NEW rackets are better for baseliners?

julian 12-04-2012 07:49 AM

The current Aero Pro Drive (2013)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Romeo (Post 7043592)
On the TWE website, the swingweights for both the 300 and 280 g versions are mentioned in the specs and they're rather surprising. The 280, especially, is supposedly measured at 337! That's very high for a 296 g strung weight. The balance is even, and I'm guessing the weight distribution is pretty polarized probably due to the microcore thingy. But even on some head-heavy frames, the swingweight isn't this high. So I don't know if this figure is correct. Given it's light static weight, does a high swingweight like this compromise maneuverability and racket-head speed potential (which is related to spin potential)?

On the other hand, the 300 g version is supposed to be 324 in swingweight. This is totally believable as many other 11 oz sticks have had similar swingweights. I usually prefer these specs. In fact, when many of the 11 oz range sticks came out in the last 2 years (the 2012 Pure Drives, the IG Instincts, etc.) with sub-310 swingweights, I thought they were compromising on the stability and solidness of these rackets. Still, 324 is significantly higher than the similarly-weighted and balanced older VCore 100s, but that has been described by some as flimsy. Again, I think the microcore thingy is the reason for the higher swingweight as it polarizes the weight distribution throughout the frame. The description says it should have more stability and better feel, so we can infer it to be more solid. This might be reasonable to expect, given the higher swingweight. But I wonder if the spin production would be affected as some people used to the old specs might find it a bit harder to generate the same racket-head speed.

The current Aero Pro Drive (2013) has the swingweight of 316,not far away from 324
See as well the discussion in
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...425600&page=13

wrainsberger 12-04-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Federerkblade (Post 7046013)
im guessing youre referring to the old 100s

Yes, you are correct.

Jack Romeo 12-04-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julian (Post 7046021)
Let us assume that numbers for NEW rackets are correct.
Would you say that NEW rackets are better for baseliners?

i think yes. but that's not really the point of my thread.

i was mainly wondering about the high swingweight on the 280 g version. as i said, there are head-heavy frames and even some extended-length frames that don't have such a high swingweight. so to me, that figure of 337 looks suspiciously off. if it were correct, i wonder why they would make it so high, given that the original vcore 100s was designed for spin and a high swingweight might compromise most people's ability to generate the required racket-head speed for creating heavy spin.

on the other hand, the 324 swingweight on the 300 g version of the new vcore 100 xi looks correct. and i don't think the higher swingweight compared to the older vcore 100s will result in significantly less spin potential. maybe to some players, it will be felt, but the positive effect of having more solidness in feel might make up for it anyway.

Jack Romeo 12-04-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julian (Post 7046031)
The current Aero Pro Drive (2013) has the swingweight of 316,not far away from 324
See as well the discussion in
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...425600&page=13

but it is quite lower than the 331 on the gt version. so it seems that the trend of lowering swingweights continues for other racket brands but yonex is doing the opposite with their vcore xi's

julian 12-05-2012 08:28 AM

RDC machine
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Romeo (Post 7043592)
On the TWE website, the swingweights for both the 300 and 280 g versions are mentioned in the specs and they're rather surprising. The 280, especially, is supposedly measured at 337! That's very high for a 296 g strung weight. The balance is even, and I'm guessing the weight distribution is pretty polarized probably due to the microcore thingy. But even on some head-heavy frames, the swingweight isn't this high. So I don't know if this figure is correct. Given it's light static weight, does a high swingweight like this compromise maneuverability and racket-head speed potential (which is related to spin potential)?

On the other hand, the 300 g version is supposed to be 324 in swingweight. This is totally believable as many other 11 oz sticks have had similar swingweights. I usually prefer these specs. In fact, when many of the 11 oz range sticks came out in the last 2 years (the 2012 Pure Drives, the IG Instincts, etc.) with sub-310 swingweights, I thought they were compromising on the stability and solidness of these rackets. Still, 324 is significantly higher than the similarly-weighted and balanced older VCore 100s, but that has been described by some as flimsy. Again, I think the microcore thingy is the reason for the higher swingweiinal ght as it polarizes the weight distribution throughout the frame. The description says it should have more stability and better feel, so we can infer it to be more solid. This might be reasonable to expect, given the higher swingweight. But I wonder if the spin production would be affected as some people used to the old specs might find it a bit harder to generate the same racket-head speed.

Please see
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43
post #2
It looks that the number taken for the 280 version was taken with a BROKEN RDC machine.
We will have to wait for the machine to be fixed to resolve your original post

mirceam 12-05-2012 12:25 PM

i have a Vcore 98d and a Vcore Xi 98. The weight with overgrip and dampener is the same.

The new Vcore Xi 98 feels more solid ,less vibration. in terms of swingweight and power I've didn't noticed a difference between the two .

Jack Romeo 12-05-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julian (Post 7047857)
Please see
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43
post #2
It looks that the number taken for the 280 version was taken with a BROKEN RDC machine.
We will have to wait for the machine to be fixed to resolve your original post

okay then. so i guess i was right to suspect that something was off with that measurement.

julian 12-06-2012 01:51 PM

Picture
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Romeo (Post 7048850)
okay then. so i guess i was right to suspect that something was off with that measurement.

I have found an interesting link
http://www.yonex.com/tennis/vcore/product/
It shows TWO different branches of YONEX rackets
The picture is NOT related to OP

julian 12-07-2012 07:59 AM

A quote from TW
 
--->quote
Hello,
unfortunately not a matter of days. We hope they can repair it. Otherwise we would need to order a new machine. As posted before, as soon as we have measured the swingweights we will update you here. Sorry for the possible inconvenience.

Thanks,
Stefan/TWE

julian 02-21-2013 11:38 AM

The new number for a 280 g racket
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Romeo (Post 7043592)
On the TWE website, the swingweights for both the 300 and 280 g versions are mentioned in the specs and they're rather surprising. The 280, especially, is supposedly measured at 337! That's very high for a 296 g strung weight. The balance is even, and I'm guessing the weight distribution is pretty polarized probably due to the microcore thingy. But even on some head-heavy frames, the swingweight isn't this high. So I don't know if this figure is correct. Given it's light static weight, does a high swingweight like this compromise maneuverability and racket-head speed potential (which is related to spin potential)?

On the other hand, the 300 g version is supposed to be 324 in swingweight. This is totally believable as many other 11 oz sticks have had similar swingweights. I usually prefer these specs. In fact, when many of the 11 oz range sticks came out in the last 2 years (the 2012 Pure Drives, the IG Instincts, etc.) with sub-310 swingweights, I thought they were compromising on the stability and solidness of these rackets. Still, 324 is significantly higher than the similarly-weighted and balanced older VCore 100s, but that has been described by some as flimsy. Again, I think the microcore thingy is the reason for the higher swingweight as it polarizes the weight distribution throughout the frame. The description says it should have more stability and better feel, so we can infer it to be more solid. This might be reasonable to expect, given the higher swingweight. But I wonder if the spin production would be affected as some people used to the old specs might find it a bit harder to generate the same racket-head speed.

The new number for a 280 g racket is 322
A bit better


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse