Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Choices, Choices, Choices .... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447192)

NickJ 12-03-2012 04:31 AM

Choices, Choices, Choices ....
 
Years of using the Wilson PS Original 6.0 95 have left me disillusioned with what's on offer today. These wonderful frames are getting increasingly difficult to get hold of so I have been searching for a more than adequate replacement, but with no luck, so far. I've tried the Slazenger Pro Braided, The Dunlop MuscleWeave 200. I'm now on a pair of Pure Storms, not bad but not great, nowhere near what I had with the 6.0's . . . I'm more than aware that it's each to his/her own, feel is what is unique to one person and a racquet i may like, someone else will hate. But i would just like your opinions, good or bad as i respect everyones views, on my short-list below, or if you have any other suggestions! I guess what I'm looking for (and i'll only know that once i read it), is a person with a similar playing style, who's used the 6.0 95 before and what they switched to, with some success.
I'm 40yrs old, relatively strong serve, OHBH, not adverse to volleys, used to play county level in the UK, now just club league matches and bragging rights games against friends.

Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 95
Wilson Blade BLX
Head Prestige MP
Head Youtek Speed
Dunlop Biomimetic 200
Boris Becker London

Thanks everyone.

vegasgt3 12-03-2012 09:47 PM

I recommend the Dunlop or the 95 6.1 Wilson. Dunlop has more control and is softer, the Wilson stiffer and more power. Both are excellent classic-like racquets.

roundiesee 12-04-2012 12:18 AM

I was going to suggest the ProStaff BLX 90, but then I noticed this wasn't on the short-list; any reason why? I would have thought the box beam feel would be closer to your ProStaff 6.0 95?

ElVapo 12-04-2012 02:06 AM

you could try the yonex vcore tour 89 - similar weight and power level. the 89 inches play bigger due to a relativ large sweetspot.

NickJ 12-04-2012 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElVapo (Post 7045714)
you could try the yonex vcore tour 89 - similar weight and power level. the 89 inches play bigger due to a relativ large sweetspot.

I've never liked the Yonex frames, mainly coz of personal preference I don't like the look of the head shape. I've hit with them and they're very nice to play with, so thanks for the suggestion and I'll re-visit!

NickJ 12-04-2012 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundiesee (Post 7045668)
I was going to suggest the ProStaff BLX 90, but then I noticed this wasn't on the short-list; any reason why? I would have thought the box beam feel would be closer to your ProStaff 6.0 95?

I used to have a KFactor Tour 90 and after a few weeks found out, reluctantly, I'm just not good enought o use it. Bit heavy for me now, back in my 20's I would've loved it, but old father time tweaks my elbow now! Thanks for the suggestion.

NickJ 12-04-2012 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegasgt3 (Post 7045560)
I recommend the Dunlop or the 95 6.1 Wilson. Dunlop has more control and is softer, the Wilson stiffer and more power. Both are excellent classic-like racquets.

Thanks Vegas. I do plan to try all on the list. I would like to know if you could suggest anything I may have missed?

McLovin 12-04-2012 04:27 AM

I was going to suggest the Yonex as well, but since you've poo-pooed that one, I 'll suggest the Prince EXO Rebel 95 and the Pacific X Feel Pro 95 (Fischer M-Comp 95).

Like the Dunlop, the Pacific is more of a control-oriented frame, low powered, but a nice swinging frame.

I haven't hit with the new Rebel 95, but did hit with it's predecessor and really enjoyed it. As I understand it, the new version is slightly lighter and softer, and has gotten good reviews.

TennisCJC 12-04-2012 05:18 AM

I played the older version of the blx 6.1 95 16x18 for a year and liked it. I switched to a volkl o10 295 customized to 12.1 oz, 6 hl, and 335 SW. The volkl o10 plays similar to the wilson with maybe a bit more solid feel, lighter and softer. I recommend you try the o10 325 or 010 295 customized if you like the classic wilson crisp feel. I have demo-ed many rackets in last 24 months and the volkl o10 line is cream of the crop for me - solid feel and very comfortable, precise with plenty of power.

I have demo-ed the blx ps 6.1 95 twice and it is a very good racket too but needs 6-10 grams in the head to increase SW and stability and possibly handle weight to offset added head weight. But, it does have a nice muted solid feel - strangely, it plays more solid than many others I have demo-ed and it has a very thin beam and low flex rating. This could be a great racket if you tweak it a bit and can handle the weight after tweaking. But, it is still not as solid as the volkl o10 line.

PrincessAdam 12-04-2012 06:13 AM

Just throwing in the suggestion of a dunlop 300 tour. If I remember correctly its somewhat similar in specs.

Brian72 12-04-2012 07:16 AM

Have you considered the Volkl C10 Pro?

T-ennis 888 12-04-2012 07:25 AM

Dare I suggest an AngellSport racquet...Paul's a great guy and will be able to advise you expertly on what you would likely appreciate in your next stick(s).

Go on Nick - drop Paul a line.

michael valek 12-04-2012 07:37 AM

kneissl white star. same age to you, same kind of player, in cardiff though. playing aegon regional etc. we all need a little help as we get older, and thats why i love the kneissls. email me michael.valek@thomsonreuters.com
cheers Mike

sunof tennis 12-04-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundiesee (Post 7045668)
I was going to suggest the ProStaff BLX 90, but then I noticed this wasn't on the short-list; any reason why? I would have thought the box beam feel would be closer to your ProStaff 6.0 95?

I was wondering that as well. I also didn't see the successor to the 6.0 95, which is now the 6.1BLX 95 on your list. Not a box beam, but a very solid racuqet and closer to the weight of the 6.0 than the new PS95.

NickJ 12-04-2012 11:25 PM

Thanks everyone for the new ideas, some of them I hadn't thought of, namely the Volkl range, mainly because where I play, nobody has any for me to try! But i will check them out, the C10 & the O10, thanks Brian & Tennis CJC. Thanks Princess I will look at the Dunlop too, hadnt considered the 300 as was leaning towards the 200.
Sorry McLovin but I wasn't being disrespectful to Yonex or their users, but i do like the suggestion of the Pacific. i didn't realise they are the old Fischers. I still have a Kafelnikov Pro One in the house which I use but i find it a bit light for day to day, thanks, will check on the Pacific!
T-Ennis 888 - I used to have a Vantage from Paul a few years back when I emailed him and asked him for the closest he could get to a PS 6.0 95, although he was very helpful and he sent a lovely racquet, it still didnt replicate the feel I was looking for. Maybe they're different now it's Angell, I shall consider. Thanks.
Kniessel Michael? Again, another option, again another racquet nobody I play with has one. A demo could be difficult!
Sunof Tennis, I used to have the PS Classics which I feel are similar to what you are suggesting, again, Perhaps they are different now so I will have a look. Easier to demo these . . .
Thanks everyone, anymore ideas, come 'em comin'!

fuzz nation 12-05-2012 05:43 AM

If you've also had a go with the old 6.1 Classics, then you're probably aware that the 6.0 95 is a rather different animal. The 6.1 95 line still has some heft and stiffness, which makes for a hotter response and potentially harsher ride than something like the more narrow-beam 6.0 95. I loved my 6.1 Classics for playing serve and volley singles and doubles, but I've gone in a softer direction, too.

While they're not for everyone, I think Volkl's "10 series" options are worth a look. I play the C10's going on a few years now and these have been supremely comfortable racquets for me, even strung with a snug bed of 16 ga. syn. gut. The hoop flex in the C10 makes it a bit peculiar, but not in a bad way - I'm convinced that this feature contributes to their "arm-friendliness". The Organix 10 is apparently a somewhat more "crisp" update of Volkl's heavier 10 line of frames, but it doesn't sound as though they're especially rigid or uncomfortable.

The Redondo mp and Black Ace from ProKennex are softer players that may compare well to the 6.0 95. I've also heard good things about some of the new Donnay racquets. They offer some narrow beams and more old-school personality that could be along the lines of what you're looking for.

T-ennis 888 12-05-2012 02:32 PM

I'm liking this thread! Nick - what about those MegaAge M1 sticks everyone was raving about a few years ago. I've never hit with one but keep meaning to pick one up sometime as they did sound interesting.

NickJ 12-05-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-ennis 888 (Post 7048565)
I'm liking this thread! Nick - what about those MegaAge M1 sticks everyone was raving about a few years ago. I've never hit with one but keep meaning to pick one up sometime as they did sound interesting.

Cheers! I guy in my team uses a MegaAge. Dunno if it's the M1 but it's pretty much a PS Classic with the PWS removed form the 3 & 9 positions. You can pick them up for next to nothing too! Thanks for the tip but I've tried and as U2 sang, Sunday Bloo . . . oh hang on, that wasn't it, it was the other one.

NickJ 12-05-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzz nation (Post 7047655)
If you've also had a go with the old 6.1 Classics, then you're probably aware that the 6.0 95 is a rather different animal. The 6.1 95 line still has some heft and stiffness, which makes for a hotter response and potentially harsher ride than something like the more narrow-beam 6.0 95. I loved my 6.1 Classics for playing serve and volley singles and doubles, but I've gone in a softer direction, too.

While they're not for everyone, I think Volkl's "10 series" options are worth a look. I play the C10's going on a few years now and these have been supremely comfortable racquets for me, even strung with a snug bed of 16 ga. syn. gut. The hoop flex in the C10 makes it a bit peculiar, but not in a bad way - I'm convinced that this feature contributes to their "arm-friendliness". The Organix 10 is apparently a somewhat more "crisp" update of Volkl's heavier 10 line of frames, but it doesn't sound as though they're especially rigid or uncomfortable.

The Redondo mp and Black Ace from ProKennex are softer players that may compare well to the 6.0 95. I've also heard good things about some of the new Donnay racquets. They offer some narrow beams and more old-school personality that could be along the lines of what you're looking for.

As i've said, I will look at the Volkl's, the fact that so many of you guys out there are recommending them makes me really want to try one, NOW. The only way I can describe my old 6.0 95's was that everytime I hit the ball, whatever the shot, it felt like the strings grabbed hold of the ball and really spat it back across the other side of the net. Now that may be the strings doing a lot of the work, I use Luxilon Big Banger strung fairly low 55lbs I think it was, but using the same strings at the same tension in different frames, I'm still to find that same raw cannibalism on my shots.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse