Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Why do modern players hold back so much? Why can't they just come in? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447205)

tusharlovesrafa 12-03-2012 06:45 AM

Why do modern players hold back so much? Why can't they just come in?

After watching Nole-murray in US oPEN I realized what a monotonous and boring slug-fest could become.On the other hand you have Fedal matches,in which fed always tries to come in and make things interesting.Although more often than not he fails against nadal,but still it's great seeing him coming in.It seems modern players just hate coming to net,don't know why.May it's something to do with their up bringing.kids at junior level are taught to play safe and just keep on maneuvering your opponent from the baseline till you get an opening.And secondly I think slow court plays a big role in this..I am a die hearted Nadal fan but I have learnt to appreciate all around tennis which adds a much needed flavor to tennis..
What could be done to stop them from holding back and coming in?:D

A bore-fest!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8ZjNJInsn8

An interesting match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSmDCHLJM70

Gonzo_style 12-03-2012 06:48 AM

[quote=tusharlovesrafa;7044235]After watching Nole-murray I realized what a monotonous and boring slug-fest could become.

You didn"t watch their match in WTFs? Shanghai?

tusharlovesrafa 12-03-2012 06:50 AM

BUGGER!!i have forgotten to add a pole..

TennisCJC 12-03-2012 06:53 AM

Poly strings with slower surfaces that bounce higher give baseline bashers more of an advantage. It is no coincidence that Federer does great indoors with the bounce is a bit lower and faster. Players said this year's WTF has slower courts and Federer lost but he has won like 5 or 6 times. After losing to Fed on a fast hard court last year, Murray said Federer would still be number 1 if the courts were faster like in the past.

I think we have gone too far in favor of the baseliners and courts need to be made just a little bit quicker with a lower bounce to give attackers a fair chance.

I agree that it is a lot more fun to watch contrasting styles.

The only concern is if it gets too fast, it can turn into a serving competition.

Sampras would not have won as much with strings and courts like they are today and Federer would have won more if the courts were faster.

Bartelby 12-03-2012 07:00 AM

The charge of the light brigade looked good but ended badly.

Mainad 12-03-2012 07:31 AM

Considering how well Fed played in that 1st set against Nadal at 2012 AO, I'm just amazed he lost the match! A rare example of mental weakness from him which is certainly unusual for him in a Slam semi-final!

tacou 12-03-2012 07:55 AM

Fed, the best ever, usually fails, and you wonder why other players don't do it?

This topic has been talked to death but basically you can't be a top 20 or even top 50 player by using S&V tactics except as a surprise move once and awhile or while you are in Tsonga 2008 AO god mode (and he lost)

sureshs 12-03-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tusharlovesrafa (Post 7044241)
BUGGER!!i have forgotten to add a pole..

Just use yours

Sabratha 12-03-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 7044297)
Considering how well Fed played in that 1st set against Nadal at 2012 AO, I'm just amazed he lost the match! A rare example of mental weakness from him which is certainly unusual for him in a Slam semi-final!

Perhaps Nadal still has a mental edge after all. Time doesn't heal all wounds, all those beatings have ruined his confidence VS Nadal.

90's Clay 12-03-2012 05:56 PM

They were never trained properly? No confidence with their transition game to the net? Some guys can play the net pretty solid

LeeD 12-03-2012 06:05 PM

How did they get there? By playing consistent baseline tennis.
What grips are they using? Nothing close to a volley grip.
And they all can hit dipping hard passing shots with lots of spin, something hard to volley, and most can hit, with the same backswing, the topspin lob.

The Moonballer 12-03-2012 06:18 PM

Because of the slow courts and because of strings, there is more on the ball.

That's why Federer has trouble coming in against ****** with his heavy topspin. ****** forces others to play his boring game.

jaggy 12-03-2012 06:20 PM

They prefer winning more points

Mustard 12-03-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Federer punched himself out against Nadal again. It happened in their 2009 Australian Open final, and in their 2006 Dubai and 2006 Rome finals. Nadal just keeps himself in the hunt with his consistency when other opponents would have been put away. Sometimes, if you play unbelievably well for a period, but don't finish the job, you will then have a letdown.

morten 12-04-2012 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tusharlovesrafa (Post 7044235)
After watching Nole-murray in US oPEN I realized what a monotonous and boring slug-fest could become.On the other hand you have Fedal matches,in which fed always tries to come in and make things interesting.Although more often than not he fails against nadal,but still it's great seeing him coming in.It seems modern players just hate coming to net,don't know why.May it's something to do with their up bringing.kids at junior level are taught to play safe and just keep on maneuvering your opponent from the baseline till you get an opening.And secondly I think slow court plays a big role in this..I am a die hearted Nadal fan but I have learnt to appreciate all around tennis which adds a much needed flavor to tennis..
What could be done to stop them from holding back and coming in?:D

A bore-fest!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8ZjNJInsn8

An interesting match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSmDCHLJM70

I could not agree more, which is why i do not follow the ATP tour anymore...

Ryoma 12-04-2012 04:38 AM

Because serve and volley is dead along with dinosaur.

The match is boring because they are not as talented as Federer.

Federer vs Federer would be awesome to watch.
Nadal vs Nadal ...zzz
Andy vs Andy ...zzz
Nole vs Nole ...zzz

I would consider watching WTA instead of those match up, or just turn off the tv.

underground 12-04-2012 05:46 AM

Yeah comms have always said this about Delpo recently. Keep saying that he's in form, got the game, but never comes into the net to finish off points. If Delpo comes to the net more often then he can outpower the likes of Djoker and Murray.

tennis_balla 12-04-2012 05:53 AM

This has nothing to do with lack of training, and everything to do with how the game is played nowadays. Depth, speed, spin and angles. It is much easier to hit a passing or to hit a damaging shot which not only neutralizes the player at net but puts him in a defensive position, forced to hit volleys off spinny dipping groundstrokes. Its the movement on the ball thats the real killer. Players 20 years ago didn't have to deal with this, the path of the ball was much more predictable and easier to volley off of. That's it, simple.

axel89 12-04-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underground (Post 7045944)
Yeah comms have always said this about Delpo recently. Keep saying that he's in form, got the game, but never comes into the net to finish off points. If Delpo comes to the net more often then he can outpower the likes of Djoker and Murray.

Have you thought that delpo doesn't have the net skills required to be effective other than to put away high slices?

Bobby Jr 12-04-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Federer went on a big walkabout after that ******** foreworks display after which I believe he lost serve straight away and cost him the set. I was pretty disappointed with how he seemed affected by that. It was like a light went out for the next half an hour.