Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Kick serve into the center of the serve box (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447219)

watungga 12-03-2012 09:54 AM

Kick serve into the center of the serve box

Can we say that the reason why an ATP player's DF percentage is very minimal is due to the fact that they can AXE a serve right down the center of the service box?

When I see a serve like that the ball still difficult to attack, I'm speechless.

psv255 12-03-2012 10:04 AM

Sure, but I'd actually rather be aced by a 100 MPH, fizzling kicker than it coming right down the middle, at my face :D

dgoran 12-03-2012 10:31 AM

That should be easy ball to attack for a pro. Their serve percentage is high because they serve 1000 balls a day. If you see a pro over and over
Serving in the middle of the box it's because he or she is struggling with a serve that day or with return of his or her opponent.
Middle ball = no advantage but to start a point.

SystemicAnomaly 12-03-2012 10:36 AM

^ Agreed. How many kick serves have you ever seen Federer or Roddick hit in the middle of the serve box?

JRstriker12 12-03-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watungga (Post 7044532)
Can we say that the reason why an ATP player's DF percentage is very minimal is due to the fact that they can AXE a serve right down the center of the service box?

When I see a serve like that the ball still difficult to attack, I'm speechless.

I would probably be more accurate to say that their Double Fault percentage is very low because they practice for hours on end every day.

The Meat 12-03-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly (Post 7044611)
^ Agreed. How many kick serves have you ever seen Federer or Roddick hit in the middle of the serve box?

Federer hit a couple of kick serves right at Sampras, hit him twice in the body at the MSG 2008 exhibition. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-enVQiknD2U

watungga 12-03-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7044652)
Federer hit a couple of kick serves right at Sampras, hit him twice in the body at the MSG 2008 exhibition. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-enVQiknD2U

Its amazing they could place the ball more than 3 feet before the service line.

The Meat 12-03-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watungga (Post 7044823)
Its amazing they could place the ball more than 3 feet before the service line.

You should see the full highlights of the match, a couple of points after this one Federer hit another second serve at Sampras and it touched the line and again Sampras was handcuffed. A lot of confidence in that second serve.

LeeD 12-03-2012 01:40 PM

Most top players can place 95% of their kick serves into the 3 quatrants on the opponent's service box. They can choose whichever, depending on the return strengths and weaknesses of the opponents. I'll have to qualify that, the top players who CARE to serve well. Some don't, and spend the time on conditioning and groundie practice.
Lots of long tall guys can handle wide twists and kicks, and lots of short stocky guys can handle body shots with aplomb.
But very few returners can handle both.
Once you spot the weakness, you can hold it in your mind and use it on a critical point.
And serving within 3' of the service line, IN every time, is a simple 4.5 level trait.

watungga 12-04-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7044871)
....... And serving within 3' of the service line, IN every time, is a simple 4.5 level trait.

Uniformity in topspin serve greater than 2 feet from service line, I could say the player is a serious one. Unbeatable in my standard. I may have to find loopholes through plays.

Players who keep hitting lines, or close to it, are beatable. 100% they will have weaknesses all over.

martini1 12-04-2012 09:48 PM

Don't forget at ATP level the kick serves are 80mph+, and could kick as high as 6'5 or more at the base line. And together with some side spin, the landing spot is just a byproduct of insuring the ball being in.
There are many return winners but I have to say most 2nd serves are good enough to give some ground for the server. Unlike a lot of 4.0 2nd serves at 50mph or less, many can be smacked right back.

y11971alex 12-04-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watungga (Post 7044532)

But I've surely seen J. Newcombe hit an awful lot of kickers down the middle. He does it almost exclusively to attack right handers' backhand, as did that slice from deuce court of Laver's.

watungga 12-05-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y11971alex (Post 7047383)
But I've surely seen J. Newcombe hit an awful lot of kickers down the middle. He does it almost exclusively to attack right handers' backhand, as did that slice from deuce court of Laver's.

WOw!!! using 80 sq. inch racquet at that!! :shock:

They were born tennis players.

LeeD 12-05-2012 09:51 AM

Newcombe used 66 sq inch rackets.
"down the middle"...you mean center quatrant? Or backhand side of center? Or definetely to the backhand side?