Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Luxilon ALU Power: feelings? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447251)

EastAngels2014 12-03-2012 06:33 PM

Luxilon ALU Power: feelings?

What did you think about this string, thinking about trying it out, but was wondering how people felt about it and is it better in a Hybrid or a full bed? Thanks

3fees 12-03-2012 06:36 PM

Pro's use it as a hybrid.

:mrgreen:

man_untd11 12-03-2012 06:36 PM

It's good in a full set as well. It depends on your preferences really but it's a good string. A bit expensive but not a bad string at all.

EastAngels2014 12-03-2012 06:38 PM

i don't exactly like the price but i have heard great things so i was going to try it is there something cheaper that plays like it?

EastAngels2014 12-03-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3fees (Post 7045235)
Pro's use it as a hybrid.

:mrgreen:

what do they use as the cross or mains in the hybrid?

man_untd11 12-03-2012 06:43 PM

Most probably use it as a full set but if they did hybrid I think it'd be Natural Gut in the mains/crosses. Depends on the player.

EastAngels2014 12-03-2012 06:45 PM

i for sure wouldn't be able to afford Alu power and Gut so i will probably go with a full set up

UCSF2012 12-03-2012 07:35 PM

It's a very board-like string, since it's super firm. I don't like how that feels, but I love how I can confidently hit super sharp angles with it (and actually make the shot)

In an 16x18 string pattern, it gives it impeccable placement relative to ALL other poly I've tried. In an 18x20 pattern, it's an imperceivable difference. In a Blade 93, I couldn't tell a difference in power/placement between gut/ALU and gut/BHBR (I did a side-by-side comparison once. Fresh strings on both. Identical setup) In the BLX90, gut/ALU was the superior setup, compared to gut/BHBR, gut/Black magic, gut/tornado, gut/hurricane, gut/SPPP, and a few others I forget.

K21ferg 12-03-2012 08:32 PM

I recommend using the alu as a hybrid because a full bed is very stiff and doesn't give the best response after contact is made. Besides the stiff board like play it offers great control and durability.

EastAngels2014 12-03-2012 09:01 PM

what would u suggest in the hybrid?

darklore009 12-03-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastAngels2014 (Post 7045241)
i don't exactly like the price but i have heard great things so i was going to try it is there something cheaper that plays like it?

i see bhbr or cyberflash plays close to it

pvaudio 12-03-2012 09:58 PM

ALU is a very nice string. Its only problem is that it is not one of the newer generation poly strings, so its tension stability is woeful. That said, there is nothing like it on the market. So, if you're an ALU diehard and want something similar, it doesn't exist. Topspin Cyberflash USED to play fairly similarly, but they reformulated it a few years ago. The new stuff is simply a similar color. You'll notice this if you read the reviews for CF on the string's page: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/feedback-TCF17.html

Quote:

Comments: Easy string and virtually no string movement during play good spin and power and crisp on the volleys, I would rate this string very close to the Luxilon ALU power but a lot cheaper, I pre-stretched the string and found hardly any tension loss after 3 hours of play. for the price a highly recommended string.
Note the date changes:

Quote:

Comments: The company has changed the formulation of the string without informing us. And that created a lot of confusion/headach for me. Although it maintains tension better, it lacks power and is much stiffer-totally different string. I had to lower the tension at least 8 pounds. Even that it still doesn't feel the same as before. It's too bad that they discontinued the previous cyber flash.

Comments: Agree with John from Portland. I just started using my most recent reel and it is definitely stiffer and has a smoother surface. The spin is pretty good so far, but it is lower powered than before and seems to maintain tension a little bit better. I would agree that the company seems to have changed the formulation...since I have a whole reel, I'm going to have a lot of time to get used to it :)

cluckcluck 12-03-2012 11:11 PM

Like PVaudio said that the durability is miserable. It doesn't last very long at all, given the price it's not economical in the slightest. Though, for the first couple of hours of hitting it's pretty solid.

NLBwell 12-03-2012 11:23 PM

pvaudio - glad you mentioned that about Cyberflash. I thought my memory was going. I keep reading comments about how stiff Cyberflash is, but I was remembering it as a softer string.

As far as Luxilon ALU, I've not found anything like it. It has that Luxilon drop where a ball which seems like it is going out dives in at the last second. It is a stiff string, yet feels springy in a metallic-spring sort of way. If you swing hard, you can feel the string give and shoot the ball out with spin, but the actual deflection is very small, so it maintains control.
For me, there is no question that I play the best with full ALU (I like the Rough or Spin best). I hybrid it with AlphaGut2000 usually because that is easier on my arm, and there is only a tiny bit of difference between that and a full Lux job.
Because of the short time the stringjob is at its peak and also because of comfort, I'm playing with gut/poly right now during the winter. (I actually play well with dead ALU, also).
If I play tournaments during the summer I will play with ALU.

3fees 12-06-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastAngels2014 (Post 7045243)
what do they use as the cross or mains in the hybrid?

Use ALU in the crosses with top notch gut mains.

purple-n-gold 12-06-2012 09:45 AM

gpoat(TM)

*greatest-poly-of-all-time*

Rjtennis 12-08-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 7045578)
Like PVaudio said that the durability is miserable. It doesn't last very long at all, given the price it's not economical in the slightest. Though, for the first couple of hours of hitting it's pretty solid.

It's durable, the tension just drops. I've found that if you use the pre-stretch when stringing it really helps in regards to tension loss. ALU plays great in a full bed it's just rather stiff.

maverick1981 12-10-2012 07:06 AM

fantastic string. I switched to ALU Power Rough, and it increased my game to a level I did not think was going to happen. Balls that normally sail out within a foot, drop within the baseline. The added spin and power was something I could not get through my strokes. These strings helped, and fixed, my game.

#1 attribute - MORE BALLS GO IN. PERIOD. My opponents dont understand it, balls they are letting sail drop within a foot of the baseline, it takes people by surprise every single time.

#2 - tension certainly drops. its not THAT bad, but after just 2 best of 3-setters, there is noticable drop by a few lbs.

#3 - although many people say its stiff, I dont find a stiffness issue, in fact, the ballpocketing feel of this string and its snapback almost negate it. I have had multiple injuires in the upper body, past and ongoing, and dont find this string as problematic. (55lbs strung) Also, I use a Yonex vibrasorb, the best out there. basically no stringbed vibration, i was using the Wilson W, and thought that in fact these strings were as bad or stiff as people had said, but in reality, my arm was being ruined by terrible impact-shock vibration dampening.

hope that helps somewhat

quest01 12-12-2012 12:26 PM

I've been using a full bed of this string for years now, its great. It has a lot of control, its durable, and has some decent power. I go by the recommendation on the package of stringing it 10% under what you would normally string it at.

LeeD 12-12-2012 12:34 PM

Great string for control if you like swinging out on every ball.
Just dull feel for touch shots and volleys.
Solid, needs fast paced action and long fast swings.