Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Donnay X-Dual Silver Lite Extended- has anyone tried this? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447273)

roundiesee 12-04-2012 12:21 AM

Donnay X-Dual Silver Lite Extended- has anyone tried this?

I noticed this racket on sale, and the specs seem quite interesting (a tweener-like speced racket in an extended form); has anyone ever played with it?

coolblue123 12-04-2012 04:03 AM

I asked the same question to the TW Gods:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445782

I think I am waiting for one to sell in the classifieds. I am really addicted to lighter extended racquets which i lead up the way I like.

roundiesee 12-04-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolblue123 (Post 7045796)
I asked the same question to the TW Gods:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445782

I think I am waiting for one to sell in the classifieds. I am really addicted to lighter extended racquets which i lead up the way I like.

Wow, great thread! Thanks for posting the link. Let's see if anyone other than Chris answers.

tball 12-04-2012 10:34 AM

I've tried it, and did not quite like it. Not solid enough.

coolblue123 12-05-2012 06:36 AM

thx for the feedback.
Question: Does not solid means it's not stable or does it feel hollow? Is it too light?
How big is the sweetspot?

tball 12-05-2012 07:35 AM

Cannot comment on the sweetspot. It feels "normal" to me.
The feel is also good -- not hollow. Nice solid thump and no reverberations.
The problem is that it bends too much during heavy hitting, spraying the ball. Even with the tension set very high, as it was on mine, this spraying was obvious. This was the issue for me.

There were no depth problems with this racquet.

It was also lacking, when trying to overpower very spinny shots from my opponents. Lack of mass was perceptible, especially on the sides. But I do not hold it against this racquet, for (1) a great many racquets suffer from this, and (2) it is easily correctable by adding some lead at 3 and 9.

To hightlight what I mean, I'll compare it with Volkl Tour 8 Extended.
That is a much more stable racquet, more solid, overpowers the ball well, does not twist (maintains the angle), but feels harsher and I have depth problems with it (so I do not use it either). I am just mentioning it as a contrast point.

Dunlop Tour Pro Superlong is also solid. Does not twist, does not bend (but is a bit too low on power).

tball 12-05-2012 07:40 AM

For reference, a racquet that I would call "solid" would be the Head Prestige Pro: it overpowers a heavy incoming spin with ease and precision.

tennisfreak73 12-05-2012 10:17 AM

i don't know if this will help but i play with the non-lite version (have not touched the lite) and there are a few things you should know about this line of donnay frames. first, these are not powerful racquets and you'll need to either, generate your own power, have a powerful sting setup, and or both (which i do). with that said, these are extremely arm friendly, have a ton of feel, but the main property is control. all these sticks are like scalpels on the court, and virtually put the ball anywhere you can imagine. also the non-light is the most powerful of the line, but it doesn't even come close to, lets say, an aero pro drive or any of the other firmer more powerful frames. either way, you should demo this before making any decisions, but if you're looking for an arm friendly frame that moves through air effortlessly, with control then you should definitely consider it. the only downside i can see is perhaps the light weight may not produce enough plow through, especially on hard serves and volleys,however, that really depends on how the weight is distributed.

forgot to mention that if you needed to add weight you can buy the kit that can add weight to the butt cap and sections of the head.

racertempo 12-12-2012 04:00 AM

Interesting read, thanks for the reply and feedback. i actually ordered one yesterday and am having it strung with MSV Focus 17 soft at 50 pounds, so I should get a little power out of the frame. I have a ball machine at home and will go out on Saturday with the frame and post some thoughts and feedback.

tball 12-12-2012 07:26 AM

Interesting: I also used MSV Co-Focus in this frame, also at 51 lbs, and I also test racquets with the ball machine.

Word of caution: You will not notice the problems with the ball machine. With the ball machine, it feels great. You'll need to subject yourself to very heavy hitting to see the drawbacks.

racertempo 12-12-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tball (Post 7059230)
Interesting: I also used MSV Co-Focus in this frame, also at 51 lbs, and I also test racquets with the ball machine.

Word of caution: You will not notice the problems with the ball machine. With the ball machine, it feels great. You'll need to subject yourself to very heavy hitting to see the drawbacks.

Do you like the MSV Co-Focus? Does it move a lot on the string-bed? I am considering that in the Steam 105s that I am getting next month, I want a string that is not shaped for that frame. I am used the shaped MSV Focus Soft 17, which I believe is a very new string.

The positive is that I turn the machine up quite a bit over what I usually see in matches for the practice. This frame for me is a just an experiment as I have demo'd and loved the Steam 99s and 105s, but they don't come out for over a month. This Donnay is such a cheap price that it is worth the try, and I like the customization kit....but it stinks that they don't have them available at TW right now.

sundaypunch 12-12-2012 10:39 AM

The beauty of a too light frame like this is that it is simple to fix with a little lead tape. You can make it the exact weight and balance that suits you.

coolblue123 12-12-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundaypunch (Post 7059554)
The beauty of a too light frame like this is that it is simple to fix with a little lead tape. You can make it the exact weight and balance that suits you.

+1 on this. that is what I did on my current stick.

zapvor 12-13-2012 07:58 AM

cb! get one! so i can demo it :P
i am tempted to buy it myself. must resist............for today

racertempo 12-15-2012 05:01 AM

Hit for an hour last night with my machine with this gorgeous-simple frame. Was strung with MSV Hex-Soft 17 at 50 pounds. I am a 4.0 close to getting bumped to 4.5, medium pace groundstrokes and and topspin....make my living at my level with net play and my 6'4" height. Currently playing with Yonex Ezone Xi 100 and Rdis 200 Lite with full poly beds as well, so used to control and huge sweet spots.

I was worried about the size of the sweetspot after reading some reviews....the very first thing I did when I got this frame was replace the butt cap with the +10g weight. The sweet spot felt just as big as the Rdis 200 Lite that I use, and the frame felt a little more comfortable. Definitely a little less spin on groundstrokes, but I attribute that more to my technique. It was a little tougher for me to generate spin though.

At the net it felt very very comfortable, both on top of the net when I need a very quick frame for the balls firing at me......and even felt amazing around the service line for volleys. I am very happy with the purchase......not sure I would have done it for $150 up, but for $75 wow, what a steal of a racquet.

Another big point to mention, then standing of their head, the Donnay was a minuscule amount longer then the Rdis 200 Lite which is listed as 27". The frame seemed 27.25" at most, the length was not bad at all........hope this helps.

rst 12-23-2012 01:53 AM

It was also lacking, when trying to overpower very spinny shots from my opponents. Lack of mass was perceptible................

i have the regualr length version on order and have and have owned a x-yellow and x-white.

i keep the tension at 50 or so with multifilament string. i had some trouble with deep toppy shots but the racket is so quick i got to where i could do a semi-potent high forehand slice response to drive the ball back low and skiddy and/or a squash like slap on teh FH side with good placement...for my level anyway. this tended to make the 2HF toppy hitter to have to bend a bit more for the next shot buying me time.

with soft strings/tension i find that the lighter X frames can give good power response as well.