Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Pro's Pro Counterparts (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447323)

T-ennis 888 12-04-2012 01:32 PM

Pro's Pro Counterparts

Guys,

I’ve been reading up on threads in connection with Pro’s Pro strings since the weekend just gone. In a nutshell, there’s loads of strings and I was hoping to get a list going whereby people can write down what strings they think Pro’s Pro products are similar/equivalent to.

To start the ball rolling, I understand their Blackout (this would be a great name for a Decepticon btw) is very similar by all accounts to Tecnifibre Black Code so:

1.) Blackout ~ Tecnifibre Black Code

If users of Pro’s Pro strings past and present could continue this, I think it might be useful for those interested in these strings.

As always, thanks in advance those that respond.

Federerkblade 12-04-2012 02:38 PM

blackout is immense. .... i just hope the 1.23 will stand in the wilson 99s. i use it at 49 lbs

TepidFish 12-05-2012 09:34 PM

2.) Red Devil ~ Tecnifibre Red Code
3.) Spinox ~ Luxilon 4G/Big Banger Original

fortun8son 12-05-2012 10:34 PM

Hitec-Multifiber~MCS
Plus Power~SPPP
Vendetta~ProLine 2
I've read that they play very similar at first, but drop off more quickly.
Still, not a bad trade-off for the price.

T-ennis 888 12-07-2012 08:29 AM

3.) Spinox ~ Luxilon 4G/Big Banger
4.) Hitec-Multifiber ~ MCS
5.) Plus Power ~ SPPP
6.) Vendetta ~ ProLine 2

Anymore? Keep them coming!

smirker 12-07-2012 08:46 AM

PP Concept= WeissCannon Scorpion

jibinhe 12-10-2012 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TepidFish (Post 7049099)
3.) Spinox ~ Luxilon 4G/Big Banger Original

Spinox--Luxilon 4G/Big Banger Origin, really? There is nothing I like about spinox, too much power, no control, no feel, not consistant, only spin is decent. I cut it out after 2hrs use......If that is how 4G/BBO works, I am glad that I didn't pay my hard earned money on those......

On another hand, I really like Red Devil. got a reel right after I tried it. Sometime I wonder how blackout compare to it, but I felt I don't want to try other strings until I finished the reel of Red Devil.

TepidFish 12-13-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jibinhe (Post 7055664)
Spinox--Luxilon 4G/Big Banger Origin, really? There is nothing I like about spinox, too much power, no control, no feel, not consistant, only spin is decent. I cut it out after 2hrs use......If that is how 4G/BBO works, I am glad that I didn't pay my hard earned money on those......

On another hand, I really like Red Devil. got a reel right after I tried it. Sometime I wonder how blackout compare to it, but I felt I don't want to try other strings until I finished the reel of Red Devil.

Haha those are exactly my sentiments of Spinox. I feel 4G and BBO are the closest in comparing "Name-Brand" strings. They could just be really tension sensitive... I found when strung at or above 55lbs they played too stiff and boardy, where as stringing them below 50lbs sacrificed too much control.

Personal preference I suppose as well. My brother uses 4G & BBO in his setup and when I purchased sets of Spinox I gave him one to try. He said it felt pretty close to 4G/BBO just tension maintenance was pretty poor.

I am a big fan of Red Devil! I bought a set of it along with Blackout to compare during my experimenting phase, and ended up buying a reel of it over Blackout.

Couldn't feel a big difference between the two since I was stringing it in the crosses, so I went with Red Devil for cosmetic reasons.

Which gauge did you buy your reel in?

TepidFish 12-13-2012 11:44 PM

Ah... read your gauge in your sig.

fortun8son 12-14-2012 12:35 AM

I have been using a lot of Pro's Pro strings and I've been wondering about Red Devil.
I bought a set of 1.14 that I haven't used yet.
I was thinking about the 1.29 as a replacement for RedCode 1.30.
Thoughts?

bigmalik76 12-14-2012 06:25 AM

Love Blackout for sure, it's the best Pro's Pro string that I have tried so far and would have no problem playing with it anytime.

I thought Vendetta was good as well but for me Blackout was the best.

Hexaspin I did not like at all, too muted IMO. As a main in Hybrid it was terrible but as a cross was ok.

Gutex Ultra was a super soft multi extremely comfortable but after tension loss became too trampoline like for me. Did work well as a cross in hybrid setup. But I think I prefer even some syn guts above it.

I know there is no counterpart information, but thought I will add some information about Pro's Pro nonetheless. I would definitely recommend the Blackout to try.

jibinhe 12-14-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TepidFish (Post 7062660)
Haha those are exactly my sentiments of Spinox. I feel 4G and BBO are the closest in comparing "Name-Brand" strings. They could just be really tension sensitive... I found when strung at or above 55lbs they played too stiff and boardy, where as stringing them below 50lbs sacrificed too much control.

Personal preference I suppose as well. My brother uses 4G & BBO in his setup and when I purchased sets of Spinox I gave him one to try. He said it felt pretty close to 4G/BBO just tension maintenance was pretty poor.

I am a big fan of Red Devil! I bought a set of it along with Blackout to compare during my experimenting phase, and ended up buying a reel of it over Blackout.

Couldn't feel a big difference between the two since I was stringing it in the crosses, so I went with Red Devil for cosmetic reasons.

Which gauge did you buy your reel in?

1.19, will try thinner one next time. I think thinner string may just suit me better.

One thing I noticed about Red Devil, the color of the set I had is bit different comparing to the reel. The set has deeper and darker red color, the reel is closer to orange. And I felt they also had slightly different feel, or maybe it was just in my head?

stringsguy 12-16-2012 12:14 AM

agreed

Blackout - Tecnifibre Black Code
Red Devil - Tecnifibre Red Code
Plus Power - Signum Pro Poly Plasma

also these are certainly our most popular

Captain Haddock 12-17-2012 01:24 PM

What about Revoltec (green)?

brooker 12-17-2012 06:13 PM

I like its Nano Cyber Power. But I don't know what its "counterpart" is.

PaulC 12-17-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Haddock (Post 7067897)
What about Revoltec (green)?

I'd say Revoltec is roughly equivalent to Polystar Energy.

Then again, I am hybriding it with various synthetic crosses which may muddy up the direct comparison between the 2.

smirker 12-19-2012 12:47 AM

Anyone tried Strategem? Just bought a reel on a whim.

stringsguy 12-22-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smirker (Post 7070254)
Anyone tried Strategem? Just bought a reel on a whim.

believe its a quite hard on the arm

kcmiser 12-22-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringsguy (Post 7074575)
believe its a quite hard on the arm

Strategem is hard on the arm? Is that right?

I won't break TW rules by linking to another site, but I Googled "pro's pro strings", and one of the sites that came up carried these strings, and on most strings had "compare to" information. I have absolutely no idea how reliable those comparisons are, but they had Strategem comparing to Dunlop Black Widow, which is a soft as a poly gets.

Due to arm trouble, I've recently switched from stiff poly's at 52 lbs. to Isospeed Baseline (very soft and elastic) at 40 lbs., and I'm actually growing to really like the elasticity and pocketing I get in addition to the comfort I was seeking. However, it is noticably lacking in spin. So I was looking for something soft and elastic, but with better spin. Black Widow would be perfect, but $170 per reel is more than I'm willing to spend. Based on the "compare to" information I came across, I thought Strategem was a BW copy, so I was strongly considering giving it a try, and was surpirsed to see it described as "hard on the arm", as I was thinking it would be just the opposite. Does anyone have input on this?

Sage 12-28-2012 09:44 AM

I googled Pro's Pro Strategem as well and found the review below. I am looking at picking up a reel myself.

Power: Really good controllable power. Gives you little extra power without fear of hitting long. 8/10

Spin: Excellent access to spin. Felt my topspin shots had little extra kick and slice stayed nice and low. 9/10

Control: This string has nice feedback and I found it really precise. Could hit my marks with confidence. 8.5/10

Comfort: No problems with this one. Really comfortable both with either a full bed of this or in hybrid setups. 8.5/10

Durability: String played same way in the beginning and in the 10 hour mark until a restring was needed. 9/10