Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Head Youtek IG Prestige Midplus (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447330)

Dasol 12-04-2012 02:43 PM

Head Youtek IG Prestige Midplus

Hi,

I demoed IG Prestige MP today, and wow, it is a great racquet! I previously played with Wilson Blx 6.1 95 (18X20), PDR 2012, and Pure Storm Tour GT, and I think IG Prestige MP, compared to them, is very smooth, plush, yet solid and stable. Also, it is very easy to swing and the sweet spot seems to be large to me.

This Prestige MP is strung with Xcel 16, and I think tension is 48lb. I did not have any problem with control today and the feel was very nice. Yet, I did not rip the ball today, since I thought this flexible frame with multi might be too powerful.

If you have used IG Prestige MP, what is the best set up for this? I prefer multi to poly, but hybrid is fine to me. Sweetspot seems to be pretty large with Xcel 16 at 48lb, so I think I need less power and more control. Maybe just a little bit higher tension? Any advice will be welcomed!

Thank you in advance!

rafafan20 12-04-2012 02:47 PM

I've only tested it and its a great racket, my second favorite (to what I use now). I would say a thin gauged poly would be the best. Maybe the 17l hexablade if you want control and possibly more spin.

Dasol 12-04-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafafan20 (Post 7046844)
I've only tested it and its a great racket, my second favorite (to what I use now). I would say a thin gauged poly would be the best. Maybe the 17l hexablade if you want control and possibly more spin.

Thanks for your advice! I have not cared much about the gauge of string before and aways used 16 gauge. Do you think 17 gauge really gives more control and spin? Also, many reviews of Prestige MP say it is better to stay with a low tension (max 53?) since it is a low powered racquet. So, I want to know how high I can string it up too.

rafafan20 12-04-2012 03:03 PM

I usually string my rackets pretty tight so I'd be the wrong person to ask about tension, its really about what you prefer the Prestige isnt SO low powered that you can't string it between 55-58. The low gage offers more pop and spin, and on the tight string bed I think a thinner control oriented poly keeps the control of the prestige but adds monster spin. Hexablade 17l came to mind because its a softer, control oriented spinny string. The weisscannon strings would be great too.

Dasol 12-04-2012 04:26 PM

Any other recommendations???

pvaudio 12-04-2012 05:22 PM

Yeah, try the Pro. I demoed both and settled on the Pro. Haven't looked back.

Dasol 12-04-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7047099)
Yeah, try the Pro. I demoed both and settled on the Pro. Haven't looked back.

Thanks, I demoed the Pro too, but it was more powerful than MP, and I thought it does not fit to my game. Also, controlwise, I think MP is a little bit better than the Pro.

MikeHitsHard93 12-04-2012 05:55 PM

I also really liked the mp. I would go with a little higher tension.

dreamneedle 12-04-2012 11:09 PM

I got Tecnifibre Black Code 1.24 @53 and I'm happy with it.

uk_skippy 12-05-2012 02:34 AM

I use TF X1 17 main/Babolat Revenge 17 crosses strung at ~52/49lbs.

Regards

Paul

Dasol 12-05-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7047123)
I also really liked the mp. I would go with a little higher tension.

Thanks a lot!

Dasol 12-05-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamneedle (Post 7047424)
I got Tecnifibre Black Code 1.24 @53 and I'm happy with it.

Thank you!

Dasol 12-05-2012 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uk_skippy (Post 7047517)
I use TF X1 17 main/Babolat Revenge 17 crosses strung at ~52/49lbs.

Regards

Paul

Thanks a lot!

One quick question: I have not used a hybrid set up for a long time, maybe used a week or so, and I do not know exactly what difference main/cross and cross/main variation makes. What I mean is if the main is gut/multi and the cross is poly, is it really different from the poly main and gut/multi cross? And I saw some posts saying that poly main is cutting gut/multi cross really fast, so I want to know about it too. If I put gut/multi for main and poly for cross, then the poly cross tension should be higher than main because poly is stiffer?

Thank you in advance!

Peedub 12-05-2012 07:38 AM

I demoed the IGPMP with Sonic Pro at 55lbs and found it under powered but loved the frame so I bought one and have VS Touch 16 mains and RPM Blast 17 at 57/53 and it is a beast - a bit over powered but fantastic feel and touch.

When its time for a restring I'm going to bump the poly cross tension up to get some of the control back.

uk_skippy 12-05-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasol (Post 7047671)
Thanks a lot!

One quick question: I have not used a hybrid set up for a long time, maybe used a week or so, and I do not know exactly what difference main/cross and cross/main variation makes. What I mean is if the main is gut/multi and the cross is poly, is it really different from the poly main and gut/multi cross? And I saw some posts saying that poly main is cutting gut/multi cross really fast, so I want to know about it too. If I put gut/multi for main and poly for cross, then the poly cross tension should be higher than main because poly is stiffer?

Thank you in advance!

75% of the stringbed's charateristics comes from the mains. So if you have a soft string on the mains, that is the feel you'll get most of. Conversely put a poly on the mains and that's what you'll feel.

As for tension, I follow the line that as the poly is stiffer you should string it lower, which is the general rule if using a full bed of poly. However, when it comes to professionals, what they believe is important for them. I've seen same tensions on hybrids and lower tensions on crosses even where its a multi.

Regards

Paul

Dasol 12-05-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uk_skippy (Post 7047893)
75% of the stringbed's charateristics comes from the mains. So if you have a soft string on the mains, that is the feel you'll get most of. Conversely put a poly on the mains and that's what you'll feel.

As for tension, I follow the line that as the poly is stiffer you should string it lower, which is the general rule if using a full bed of poly. However, when it comes to professionals, what they believe is important for them. I've seen same tensions on hybrids and lower tensions on crosses even where its a multi.

Regards

Paul

Thank you so much!!

5point5 12-12-2012 09:56 AM

Big Hitter Blue Rough hybrid at 50 lbs.

anubis 12-12-2012 10:23 AM

I too love the Prestige MP. I had one briefly over the summer and erroneously thought I needed more power, so I've been using the Rad MP ever since. But I've since wizened up and will be switching back to the Prestige MP. The rad MP is fine, but its just too powerful for me. Even with a poly setup and extreme spin, balls are still sailing long.

thecrusher956 12-12-2012 11:52 AM

As surprising as it may seem, I tried a pro with a poly vs a multi and the multi actually felt like it had more control than even the mp.

movdqa 12-12-2012 04:15 PM

Full poly at 54.