Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Why does Federer love Del Potro so much? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447331)

Mike Sams 12-04-2012 02:43 PM

Why does Federer love Del Potro so much?

He's always talking about Del Potro as this incredible specimen who will be winning lots of Slams and will be giving nightmares to all the top guys. He's said this several times before and said it again this week. I've never seen him say this about any other player on the tour at any point. It's like Del Potro is his younger brother or something with the way he talks about him and hyping him? :-? Federer seems to really like him a lot.

The Bawss 12-04-2012 02:55 PM

Because he knows that he is his pigeon deep down.

rafafan20 12-04-2012 03:05 PM

fed bromance

Mike Sams 12-04-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bawss (Post 7046866)
Because he knows that he is his pigeon deep down.

I thought del potro would've gifted him the basel tourny then. At the very least since it's federer's home tourny.

kishnabe 12-04-2012 03:26 PM

He maybe see class or himself in Del Potro, plus Del Potro hanged out with Federer in 2007, also Federer recommended him to Wilson.

Del Potro pretty likeable to his fans barring one guy on TT. Maybe the Murray incident was his only accident.

Sabratha 12-04-2012 03:46 PM

Because Del Potro is a nice guy who can hang with the top four.

Talker 12-04-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sams (Post 7046830)
He's always talking about Del Potro as this incredible specimen who will be winning lots of Slams and will be giving nightmares to all the top guys. He's said this several times before and said it again this week. I've never seen him say this about any other player on the tour at any point. It's like Del Potro is his younger brother or something with the way he talks about him and hyping him? :-? Federer seems to really like him a lot.

Nadal said similar words.
They both see DelPo's potential as do a few other tennis fans.

Besides that Del Potro is pretty genuine, a nice trait in anyone.

TheCheese 12-04-2012 05:34 PM

Del Potro seems like a really nice guy.

Mainad 12-04-2012 10:14 PM

Heh, heh, how arrogant of Federer! :)

Del Potro is the ONLY player other than Nadal who has ever beaten Federer in a Slam final and, other than Djokovic, the only player ever to beat him in his hometown tourney, Basel plus their incredible semi-final in the recent Olympics! So naturally he's going to say that Delpo will be the next Best Thing! You don't think the GOAT could ever lose a Slam to some no-mark journeyman, do you? Who do you think he is....Rafa Nadal?? :wink:

Seriously, Del Potro's 2009 US Open run means he will always have the potential to repeat that performance and make it to the very top IF he can remain injury-free and iron out a few mental issues. But that's a pretty big IF, especially where his physical fitness is concerned. He's yet to prove whether he can ever repeat his 2009 US Open run or whether it was just a once-in-a-lifetime, lightning-in-a bottle-type performance.

NadalAgassi 12-04-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 7047389)
Heh, heh, how arrogant of Federer! :)

Del Potro is the ONLY player other than Nadal who has ever beaten Federer in a Slam final and, other than Djokovic, the only player ever to beat him in his hometown tourney, Basel plus their incredible semi-final in the recent Olympics! So naturally he's going to say that Delpo will be the next Best Thing! You don't think the GOAT could ever lose a Slam to some no-mark journeyman, do you? Who do you think he is....Rafa Nadal?? :wink:

Seriously, Del Potro's 2009 US Open run means he will always have the potential to repeat that performance and make it to the very top IF he can remain injury-free and iron out a few mental issues. But that's a pretty big IF, especially where his physical fitness is concerned. He's yet to prove whether he can ever repeat his 2009 US Open run or whether it was just a once-in-a-lifetime, lightning-in-a bottle-type performance.

His fitness is his biggest problem right now. I couldnt believe watching the WTF semifinal with Djokovic he seemed to get tired in the middle of the 2nd set. Doesnt bode well for his chances of winning a series of best of 5 set matches vs the top players. His RG match vs Federer was an example of a match he had nothing left after about 2.2 sets of tennis, and Federer wasnt even playing remotedly well that event either.

sbengte 12-05-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sams (Post 7046830)
He's said this several times before and said it again this week.

Link or it didn't happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad
Del Potro is the ONLY player other than Nadal who has ever beaten Federer in a Slam final and, other than Djokovic, the only player ever to beat him in his hometown tourney, Basel plus their incredible semi-final in the recent Olympics! So naturally he's going to say that Delpo will be the next Best Thing!

IIRC, Fed called Delpo the "future number one" even before he lost to him in the USO 2009, didn't he ?

kOaMaster 12-05-2012 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 7047389)
....other than Djokovic, the only player ever to beat him in his hometown tourney, Basel...

wow, you must be really new to tennis. you have no idea.

@OP: Where did he make this statement about Del Potro? In Brasil??

Mainad 12-05-2012 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kOaMaster (Post 7047567)
wow, you must be really new to tennis. you have no idea.

Well no, I'm not new to tennis actually since I've been following it for more than 30 years!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kOaMaster (Post 7047567)
. you have no idea.

Yes, I meant to say that no-one other than Djokovic had beaten him in a Basel final but then I discovered he lost a final to Henman in 2001 (albeit that was pre-prime Federer who also lost to Henman at Wimbledon that year). My mistake! :oops:

But hey, thanks for kindly pointing this out and setting me straight...not! :rolleyes:

Be sure I'll remember to return the favour as soon as I can! :twisted:

Mainad 12-05-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbengte (Post 7047504)
IIRC, Fed called Delpo the "future number one" even before he lost to him in the USO 2009, didn't he ?

Are you sure? Seems a bit odd to me that he would say that prior to 2009 USO!
After all, what exactly had Del Potro achieved up until then?

underground 12-05-2012 08:05 AM

Federer thought 'not bad' when Delpo became the only man other than Nadal to beat him in a GS final.

Joking aside Delpo has class, that's enough for Fed to like him.

Mainad 12-05-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underground (Post 7047907)
Joking aside Delpo has class, that's enough for Fed to like him.

Yet you wouldn't have thought so when they played that final at the USO. Federer was unusually angry and agitated and famously let rip at the umpire accusing him of allowing Del Potro to take too long to challenge calls! For a while afterwards, Federer complained that he should have won and implied that it was his own mistakes that caused him to lose it rather than Del Potro's superior play. He clearly doesn't like losing in Slam finals except to Nadal where he has had to accept him as an equal given the number of losses to him he has had to sustain at the FO!

Maybe he is mellowing with age in being more generous in his current praise of Del Potro!

Gonzo_style 12-05-2012 09:11 AM

Everybody likes Del Potro, not just Federer...

jaggy 12-05-2012 09:41 AM

He has a big-boy crush on him?

Hawkeye7 12-05-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo_style (Post 7048031)
Everybody likes Del Potro, not just Federer...

Not everybody.

ductrung3993 12-05-2012 02:53 PM

Who else is out there lol. Ferrer is crap vs big 4, Berd is okey too but not as good as Potro.