Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Need string suggestion for older friend (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447341)

Ducker 12-04-2012 04:47 PM

Need string suggestion for older friend

Looking for some suggestions for string for an old friend of mine.

He going on 60 now and he needs a more arm friendly string. He has been using big banger orignial since it came out. He loves the string and doesnt want to part with it but might have to as his shoulder has been giving some pain now.

The guy is an absolute great player. Ive seen him beat up on college players and teaching pros. Hes also incredibly fast and mobile for his age.

Im pretty sure what hes looking for is something with comparable control qualities but a little easier on the arm. Anyone have a suggestion?

MikeHitsHard93 12-04-2012 05:18 PM

Prince premier attack. It's a multi and offers great spin and control as well as durability.

lobman 12-04-2012 06:31 PM

Try a good multi. Two that meet your criteria are Technifibre X-1 Biphase 17 and Wilson NXT Tour 17. Both are arm friendly, very playable and fairly long-lasting.

3fees 12-04-2012 06:50 PM

Luxilon BB Ace low 50's tension, its got the tools and arm friendly as well.

:mrgreen:

Brocolt 12-04-2012 07:39 PM

Try Prince premire attack and then have him try discho Multifibre. See wich one he likes better if he does not like either one of those then try a softer poly like Black widow

COPEY 12-04-2012 07:54 PM

Personally I don't think it makes much sense to suggest a poly of any kind if there are arm/shoulder/wrist problems. Even at low tensions poly is still stiffer than a multi. Go with the multi recommendations.

kcjim 12-04-2012 09:09 PM

I would think the best setup would be gut mains and blackcode crosses. It is soft on the arm, tremendose spin, plenty of pop. You didn't mention his current tension, but if it is say... 50lbs with full poly (guessing a 100 sq racquet), try gut mains at 56, blackcode crosses at 52. Larger racket-- up tension 2lbs for every 5 sq. in (okay, its a guesstamate). Good gut such as vs will last a long time. Just cut out the crosses when they lose their snap ( cut the crosses after the racquet is secured in the stringer) and he might get 50 hours out of the mains, maybe more. Not too bad pricewise compared to what he was playing. 1/2 set vs for $20 plus 1 and 1/2 set of blackcode for $20. A little more than 3 sets of the lux.

fortun8son 12-05-2012 12:37 AM

Going directly from BBO to a multi is a big jump.
You may need to wean him slowly.
You could try Black Widow or a hybrid of RedCode and Syngut.
Something along those lines, keeping the tension down.

COPEY 12-05-2012 02:37 AM

If he's as good as the OP says he is, it would take him a day to adjust to the multi...probably less. I have 4 sticks strung right now; in two of them I'm comparing Gosen with S-gut. In the other two I have Scorpion and SPPP Hexa. Yep, there's a distinct difference between the two, but when you have sound fundamentals and good technique, making the adjustment isn't that big of a deal. It's not like trying to wean someone off intravenous pain killers or something lol.

mikeler 12-05-2012 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brocolt (Post 7047242)
Try Prince premire attack and then have him try discho Multifibre. See wich one he likes better if he does not like either one of those then try a softer poly like Black widow

While these are my two favorite multis, I'd also throw out Head RIP Control. It is the most poly like softer string.

3fees 12-05-2012 07:59 PM

Luxilon BB Ace Control 9, Comfort 10. they have durability at 7 actually its 10, Might even try mid 40's.

:mrgreen:

Frankc 12-06-2012 03:41 AM

Senior myself - congratulate your friend for keeping it up in style. I, too, avoid the polys after the warning signs flashed with my shoulder.
I'd like to know his frame choice, size and pattern. For me, my old school, neutral grip game loves heavier, smaller, and densely strung frames. Many of us like more lively strings with smaller frames - good flat power and spin variety and flatter first serves. Remember an old article in Tennis Mag in the 80s - the more neutral gripped pros liked stiffer graphite (not nearly as stiff as today), lead tape, and loose gut. Pretty true then and now...
If he is of this school - the new guts play much stiffer it seems that prior guts - try a new generation power multi - Mantis Comfort or Weis cannon or others. I even like a cheap hybrid of Head Fibergel Mains and Gamma SG crosses ( a $5 string job). String tensions are at middle range.
Joints are fine now and power is easy to dial up and control. Congrats to him and you - that's my 2 cents...

hebrewhammer 12-06-2012 12:39 PM

Tour Bite 19 G. I have a customer who had elbow probs and was using VS gut 18 and switched to 19 g tb and loves it

NLBwell 12-06-2012 12:57 PM

Depends if he needs something just a little softer or a lot softer.
For just a little softer he can hybrid with a multi like AlphaGut2000. I don't notice a whole lot of dropoff in spin with my ALU when I hybrid it with the AlphaGut.
Something like Fluoro or Black Widow will also give a little help.

For more softness, I'd go to Gut/poly next. Definitely more power and similar if not more spin. He'd have to take a bit to adjust to the higher power, but he might love it.
A soft multi would work great for the arm (as, of course, would all gut), but he might not like the lower spin.

fortun8son 12-06-2012 01:05 PM

I'm not saying that he can't adjust to multi if he wants to.
He may not want to because of the huge difference in performance.
There are many fine, modern co-polys that are far more arm-friendly than BBO and are still in the same control/spin ballpark.

Davis Cup Fan 12-06-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hebrewhammer (Post 7050146)
Tour Bite 19 G. I have a customer who had elbow probs and was using VS gut 18 and switched to 19 g tb and loves it

After elbow problems you switched him from gut to poly?

ramos77 12-06-2012 07:48 PM

Wilson NG mains and BB crosses.

Around 54/50

Valjean 12-07-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COPEY (Post 7047262)
Personally I don't think it makes much sense to suggest a poly of any kind if there are arm/shoulder/wrist problems. Even at low tensions poly is still stiffer than a multi. Go with the multi recommendations.

+1, absolutely. Tecnifibre's Multifeel may be a good transition string for him. For deeper problems, tell him to go with Gamma's TNT Rx--which is the only Gamma string I'd be found recommending...

PhotoBlue 12-07-2012 06:00 PM

I am a fan of kirscbaum touch multifibre. It's a good soft multi. And btw, COPEY: is that signature for real or not?

mikeler 12-08-2012 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoBlue (Post 7052241)
I am a fan of kirscbaum touch multifibre. It's a good soft multi. And btw, COPEY: is that signature for real or not?

It is actually one of the stiffer multis that I've tried.