Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   String Suggestions Please (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447349)

dhdriver 12-04-2012 07:03 PM

String Suggestions Please
 
So I've been trying out different polys for the last 6 months or so. I am not sure what to stick with as the string I would normally use. I generally string my polys around 50 +/- 2 lbs. I've gotten used to that range.

I have a pair of Head Youtek Prestige Mids. I am probably a 3.5 baseliner. I hit with a full western forehand grip and a two handed backhand. I generally hit topspin forehands and flatter backhands.

Here's a list of polys I've tried and my feelings about them:
Lux Ace - Felt really stiff.
Kirschbaum Pro Line II 18 - Probably my favorite so far that I've tested but I felt like it didn't last me as long as it did before.
Kirschbaum Pro Line Evolution 17 - Felt nice at first but then I felt like the tension dropped a lot after the first two hours.
Kirschbaum Pro Line X 17 - Felt great and lasted a while but I feel like it's lacking spin and control for me.
Weiss Cannon Scorpion 1.22 - For some reason it felt like a board when I strung it up at 54 lbs.

I just strung one of my Prestiges with Solinco Revolution 17 at 50 lbs. Hopefully I can go out and hit tomorrow to see how it goes. It was suggested to me by a friend. It seems a little stiff.

I was wondering if you guys have anyone string suggestions. I've read a bunch of posts on "best poly of 2012" and other poly threads but sometimes they tangent off to other strings. Forgot to mention I'm looking for more pop, spin, and control with some good comfort.

Note: I used to play with Signum Pro Poly Plasma 17L but I moved away from it to see if there's anything good out there for me. Potentially I might go back to it. Do you guys have any tension recommendations for this string?

dhdriver 12-04-2012 07:38 PM

Forgot to mention I also used Volkl Cyclone 18 (black) before. It was nice at first but when tension dropped it felt very boardy.

RetroSpin 12-05-2012 08:35 AM

Try Scorpion at lower tension, say 45. It's a solid all around string and shouldn't feel boardy.

Personally, I like BHBR in the 40's.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I wonder if as a 3.5, you wouldn't be better off with syn gut. You save money, avoid arm problems and get a bit more pop.

tennisfreak73 12-05-2012 09:58 AM

bhb7 sounds like something you may like. string it around 50-52. it's a softer poly with good bite and nice pocketing.

darklore009 12-05-2012 10:23 AM

solinco outlast
black 7s
wilson enduro pro
topspin cyberflash
isospeed basline

dhdriver 12-05-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetroSpin (Post 7047960)
Try Scorpion at lower tension, say 45. It's a solid all around string and shouldn't feel boardy.

Personally, I like BHBR in the 40's.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I wonder if as a 3.5, you wouldn't be better off with syn gut. You save money, avoid arm problems and get a bit more pop.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I prefer polys just because I like the durability. When I played with syn gut I was popping strings left and right. Also, I like the way polys "feel". Not sure if that makes sense.

sunof tennis 12-05-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhdriver (Post 7048390)
Thanks for the suggestion.

I prefer polys just because I like the durability. When I played with syn gut I was popping strings left and right. Also, I like the way polys "feel". Not sure if that makes sense.

How often would you break strings? The only reason I ask is that for most people, a poly will die before they will break a synthetic gut.

mjnchen 12-05-2012 06:32 PM

My current favourite is SPPP 17g. And my forehand grip is close to Western. I am currently trying Tecnifibre Black Code and I like it. I think your preference may be similar to mine. So I am looking forward to follow-ups and replies. I will definitely give pro line ii a try.

dhdriver 12-05-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjnchen (Post 7048900)
My current favourite is SPPP 17g. And my forehand grip is close to Western. I am currently trying Tecnifibre Black Code and I like it. I think your preference may be similar to mine. So I am looking forward to follow-ups and replies. I will definitely give pro line ii a try.

I used to use the 17L and loved it. But besides Pacific Force 18 it was the only poly I seem to be able to break. I wanted to try black code but never got the chance to. I am hoping I get a chance to hit with the revolution 17 soon. I haven't tried SPPP on the prestiges yet so I hope I get to soon. I've also been suggested tour bite and scorpion.

Still getting used to these shaped strings though.

anubis 12-06-2012 05:26 AM

BHB7. Not as stiff, but I recommend going up a couple of pounds. Good longevity. I have 10 hours on one of them and they haven't stiffened up yet.

dhdriver 12-06-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis (Post 7049385)
BHB7. Not as stiff, but I recommend going up a couple of pounds. Good longevity. I have 10 hours on one of them and they haven't stiffened up yet.

Ooh thanks for the suggestion! What racquet do you hit with that is strung with BHB7 and at what tension? I'll probably string it like 54 lbs or so (suggestion from the TW review by Chris and Andy).


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse