Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   References (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Positive Reference for Neil1b (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447358)

Centryx 12-04-2012 10:03 PM

Positive Reference for Neil1b

Hey TW,

Just wondering what the boards thought on this is. Bought a racquet from a TWer that was listed as 9/10 condition...used 3 times, no chips/scratches light bumper rash. I payed through paypal and had the racquet delivered to me USPS, finally got around to cutting out the strings and replacing the overgrip, racquet still felt heavy unstrung. I proceeded to check for lead tape under the bumer guard and none but upon opening the ButtCap the racquet has some sort of putty/silicone in it. I haven't tried to take it out nor do I want too. What should I do? I emailed the seller today after I made the discovery should I proactively file a paypal claim to protect myself? I would not have bought this racquet if I new it was filled in the handle.. TW help please!

LanEvo 12-04-2012 11:02 PM

What racquet is it?

Centryx 12-04-2012 11:04 PM

Head youtek prestige mp

mad dog1 12-05-2012 12:10 AM

you weren't scammed because the seller shipped you the stick, but he didn't mention the stick wasn't stock. if he advertised it as stock and the stick obviously isn't, he should take it back and refund you your money. maybe he know and was hoping the buyer wouldn't notice. maybe he didn't know and this was an honest oversight on his part. email him and share with him what you've found and tell him you were expecting a stock stick. tell him you'd like to return the stick and get a refund. if he's an honorable seller, he'll understand and oblige.

Fearsome Forehand 12-05-2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centryx (Post 7047323)
Hey TW,

Just wondering what the boards thought on this is. Bought a racquet from a TWer that was listed as 9/10 condition...used 3 times, no chips/scratches light bumper rash. I payed through paypal and had the racquet delivered to me USPS, finally got around to cutting out the strings and replacing the overgrip, racquet still felt heavy unstrung. I proceeded to check for lead tape under the bumer guard and none but upon opening the ButtCap the racquet has some sort of putty/silicone in it. I haven't tried to take it out nor do I want too. What should I do? I emailed the seller today after I made the discovery should I proactively file a paypal claim to protect myself? I would not have bought this racquet if I new it was filled in the handle.. TW help please!

The racket probably has silicone in it (is it clear?) Commonly used to raise the weight of a racket. Good luck trying to remove silicone. It is similar to trying to put toothpaste back in the tube. Not worth the hassle.

The seller should have disclosed the modification. It is possible that he bought the racket second hand and was unaware of the modification.
Scammed is too strong a word. This is more of a misrepresentation. It could have been done unknowingly.

The seller should take the racket back for a full refund or give you a partial refund (your choice.) You will have to ship the racket back to him on your dime if you do a Paypal claim.

Do you have a postage scale on which you can weight the racket ? The unstrung weight should be about 11 ounces stock. If it has silicone in it, it will probably weight between 11.5 and 12 ounces unstrung. If it is only a matter of say half an ounce over stock weight, it might be worth keeping it. Heavier frames tend to play better IMHO.

If you decide not to keep it and the seller doesn't work with you, I think your smartest move is to file a PP claim for item not as described. PP will not understand silicone modification. You will have to claim he sent you the wrong racket entirely. PP will tell you to return the racket on your dime and they will issue a refund once tracking indicates the racket has been returned to the seller.

I assume this was the ad?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...outek+prestige

That seller had great refs, more as a buyer than a seller but apparently not a kid so there is hope he will handle it the right way if he agrees the buyer has a legitimate gripe. The OP also has great refs also so hopefully they can work it out without PP getting involved.

Centryx 12-05-2012 05:56 AM

FF the material inside the butt is white and not clear, I have emailed the seller last nite awaiting a response, what is an appropriate % refund if I choose to keep the racquet? I feel like the add was a total misrepresentation of the racquet I got. cosmetically it is a 9/10 but the added material in the handle makes me think the racquet was used more than just "3" times.

jjs891 12-05-2012 07:01 AM

If the putty is like blu tac or something similar, it's pretty easy to remove. I wouldn't sweat over it if it was me as long as everything else is 9.0 condition.

ptho1128 12-05-2012 07:33 AM

I don't think you've been scammed. I too agree with the other TW that said "scam" might be too harsh. IMHO, the silicon or "putty" inside the grip tells me it's an authentic stick. Almost all fake ones do not have that stuff in it and fake one looks poorly contructed (expose nails, etc.) inside the grip. IMHO, heavy stick are much better to play than lighter ones. I'm not familiar with the Head sticks but if you have an authentic one, you should be fine. Just be aware of fake ones like what I just mentioned.

neil1b 12-05-2012 07:51 AM

All,

I just woke up and say the op's email. Then checked the forums as I always do and saw this.......not happy. I have dealt with many of you and have had all positive refs.

The racquet I shipped was actually better than the 9/10 condition stated. I purchased it from my local tennis shop as a "used once" racquet that looked brand new. I played with it twice and it felt just like the YOUTEK I played with a few years ago. I decided to stay with my roddicks and listed it.

I had absolutely no idea anything had been done to it. It had the original grip and was flawless besides two small scuffs on the cap guard at 12 o'clock. When I hit with it, it felt like a prestige.

Rick bargained me down from 120 to 100 bucks and I paid shipping and fees, so I netted 85 dollars. I figured he had a good deal.

I explained to Rick that I would work something out if he did not want the racquet as he has since cut the strings out and changed the grip. (Not sure on condition now either).

I apologized for the situation and explained I had no idea any "putty" was in the handle, nor did I check before shipping. I take his word that it is there as I see no reason for him to lie.

I just wanted to clear my name here because I think it was wrong for him to post this about me prior to me having the chance to respond. I have been a member for a while now and pride myself in my feedback as I love these boards and the people on them with my sickness.

I am hoping Rick will just remove the putty as many of you stated is easy to do, because the frame is in that good of shape, but I will work with him if he does not want To.

Thanks for hearing my side.

Neil

TT- neil1b

Centryx 12-05-2012 08:07 AM

sorry neil I did not mean to bash you, i purposely left your name and the post out of this and was only looking for advice. I will deal with this offline with you.

Centryx 12-05-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjs891 (Post 7047699)
If the putty is like blu tac or something similar, it's pretty easy to remove. I wouldn't sweat over it if it was me as long as everything else is 9.0 condition.

I would think it would be easy to remove but the racquet unstrung weighs 338 grams, I am guessing that there is somewhere between 15-20 grams injected into the handle the material is a whiteish rubbery material, not like bluetac but not as flaky as silicone. I sent a picture to neil already of it

Centryx 12-05-2012 08:19 AM

and I didn't bargain the seller down, I came in at a firm price and said I would only pay that price and the seller came back to me after he said no and took my offer.

Fearsome Forehand 12-05-2012 09:09 AM

I believe the seller was unaware of the modification. Most silicone is clear but they sell white silicone as well. When it dries it can have a rubbery texture. If you can dig most of it out then you will end up with a stock racket more or less. $85 shipped sounds like a fair price given what slightly used Youtek Prestige MP sell for these days. The seller threw in the silicone mod for free.:)

Before you go through all the trouble of undoing the mod, assuming you keep the racket, you might want to hit with it to see if you like the extra heft. Most of the weight is at the bottom of the frame so it should be even more head light than stock and you might actually like it better. Even so, the seller owes you some degree of compensation because an altered racket is usually worth somewhat less than a stock frame unless it was altered by a superstar of racket modification like Ferguson, Bosworth, et al.

Probably makes more sense to do a partial refund ($10 or whatever you two think is fair) than returning it since you cut out the strings already so you can't return the racket as it was when delivered unless you restring it. It will cost you $10+ to return the racket.

Both of you have excellent references. The seller has already responded in a responsible manner and seems willing to work it out. I think, if anything, problems like this, if handled properly, make a seller look better, not worse, as it is evident he will address a legitimate gripe should an unexpected problem arise. Some sellers are not so responsive.

neil1b 12-05-2012 09:26 AM

I offer him 25 dollar partial refund if he wants the racquet...which I think is very fair.

Neil

Fearsome Forehand 12-05-2012 09:28 AM

I think that is very fair. I think, all things considered, the buyer would be wise to accept that offer.

The way the seller handled this turned a negative into a positive.

Centryx 12-05-2012 09:45 AM

Thanks for the resolution Neil I consider this closed

jjs891 12-05-2012 09:46 AM

I think $25.00 partial refund is more than fair.

If I were the buyer, I would just keep the stick and not accept the refund since no damage is done. But then that's just me maybe.

LanEvo 12-05-2012 10:37 AM

If this was the case and it turned out fine, I think this thread should not have been here initially and OP should have consulted privately before making this. Fwiw and what I have seen, this thread will not be deleted even if you asked for it. So I recommend you at least change the title to a positive feedback or solved problem type title through the "go advanced" option.

ptho1128 12-05-2012 11:49 AM

Wow, the seller is more than understanding. I don't know if I would even offer a partial refund considering the stick was authentic and the fact the buyer alter the string and grip. Well, glad you guys worked it out. I'm not a racquet pro but I wouldn't noticed between a stock vs a custom frame. Just as long it's authentic, that's fine by me.

Fearsome Forehand 12-05-2012 12:08 PM

Selling a modified frame without informing the buyer of the modification is a problem. The fact the seller didn't notice the modification does not get him off the hook. Fortunately, he is a very good seller and took care of it.

If someone sold me a racket with an irreversible mod without disclosing the mod, I would have a problem with it, too. I think the buyer had a legitimate gripe.