Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New AeroPro vs new 2012 PureDrive (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447388)

50+tennis 12-05-2012 09:43 AM

New AeroPro vs new 2012 PureDrive

I am a 50+ 4.5 woman; been using AeroPro for several years; loved it but it has caused me serious tennis elbow issues. It was suggested I try the new 2012 PureDrive..that its new design would aid my elbow but otherwise play just like the old AeroPro. Can anyone comment on this? Also, can anyone advise how the new 2013 AeroPro might compare to the 2012 PureDrive?

morandi 12-05-2012 02:44 PM

If the AeroPro caused you serious elbow issues the new Pure Drive or the 2013 Aeropro is going to be no different.
Alternatives in a similar type of racquet would be Donnay Formula 100, or the Volkyl V1 midplus.

MikeHitsHard93 12-05-2012 04:11 PM

A similar racket that would be better for the arm is the prince warrior 100. Prokennex supposedly makes very armfriendly offerings that play like the apd. Ki5 probably

RoddickistheMan 12-05-2012 04:27 PM

Why would you go to stiffer racquet if you got pain from the aeropro. I would ditch both of the racquets and go with a softer frame with more flex immediately. Pure drive is even stiffer with 72 stiffness.

Francis27 12-05-2012 04:47 PM

Since the PD2012 is stiff whats a good choice of tension to use? its recommendation is 50-66 and once i get my pure drive im going to be using rpm team which is softer than rpm blast

mjnchen 12-05-2012 06:37 PM

PD is stiffer than APD. I think you should try some more arm-friendly rackets. Prokennex and Volkl are two brands that produce generally more arm-friendly rackets. I think you should give Volkl Organix V1 midplus a try. It's also a powerful racket but very arm-friendly.

MikeHitsHard93 12-05-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francis27 (Post 7048769)
Since the PD2012 is stiff whats a good choice of tension to use? its recommendation is 50-66 and once i get my pure drive im going to be using rpm team which is softer than rpm blast

Rpm team is not much softer. And you don't get that much more time out of it either. I would go all multi like xcel @60lbs

Virtua Tennis 12-05-2012 08:19 PM

First DON'T USE POLY buy a nice soft string like NRG, XOne, NXT, or Natural gut. String it lower like 55 pounds and see how it goes.

Otherwise try other brands like Volkl.

drakulie 12-05-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoddickistheMan (Post 7048746)
Why would you go to stiffer racquet if you got pain from the aeropro. I would ditch both of the racquets and go with a softer frame with more flex immediately. Pure drive is even stiffer with 72 stiffness.

agreed. They are both (aero and pure drive) stiff as heck and have tons of vibration. The Donnay formula is a great alternative. Same mold as pure drive, has more power, nearly same specs, but has zero to no vibration comparatively.

also, for the poster who claims rpm team is softer than rpm,I believe, if memory serves me correctly,,,, it is actually stiffer. They are both horrible anyways as neither one can hold tension, and lose their playing characteristics in a few hours.

ryydman 12-06-2012 12:20 AM

The Wilson BLX Pro Open is a softer alternative to the Aero/PD...

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wils...SON-POBLX.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wils...LSON-WPOB.html

Dragan 12-06-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virtua Tennis (Post 7049046)
First DON'T USE POLY buy a nice soft string like NRG, XOne, NXT, or Natural gut. String it lower like 55 pounds and see how it goes.

Very good advice, however, I she may try even 58-60 lbs tension. The strings that you suggested are still soft and comfortable at higher tensions, while the power will not be excessive in Pure Drive.

morandi 12-06-2012 06:09 AM

I think also the whole idea of a more flexible racquet being more comfortable and arm friendly is not always the case. I have played with flexible racquets that hurt my elbow/arm more than supposedly stiffer racquets. Its more how the frame and strings manage vibrations.
Another great arm friendly version of the pure drive is the Boris Becker Delta core pro. Its no longer produced, but you can still find some fairly cheap.

Power Player 12-06-2012 06:19 AM

I hit with the new APD and it is not going to be easy on your elbow. You need flex. Try and stay at 65 or less.

Try the new Blade 16x19. I think you may love it since it specs the same as the APD you use , is easier on the arm, and offers more control.

A.Motoki.S 12-06-2012 09:37 AM

well the major difference between the racquets will be the frame ... since the pure drive doesn't have those aero modules the racquet will be a little easier to swing ... but it is slightly stiffer but if you can handle the racquet it will help you generate pace a little easier but you might lose some of the spin that you have but lower the tension to maybe 50 could help so that it won't affect your arm but it's best to demo them once the racquets are out

Boricua 12-06-2012 09:49 AM

Buy the Yonex VCore 100 xi when its sold by TW. Ive heard it will have a bit more swingweight than the current VCORE 100. It wiill also have MicroCore. It is stiff but no vibrations and big sweetspot. If you use full poly dont go over 52 or go hybrid. I dont recommend multi or gut as a main string in the VCORE.

PED 12-06-2012 09:55 AM

I took part in the apd13 test and liked the new apd but decided to pick up a PD2012 instead.

They do play similarly but I've found that the pd is a bit softer on the arm. I found that the PD offers more feel overall than the new apd.

It's not soft per say but it is softer than the apd. I'm using full poly strung in the mid 40's and that helps as well. I feel like I'm getting good feedback from the stringbed, much more so than in any of the babolats I've owned in the past.

If you like the Babolat feel, it may be worth taking a shot on one.

Top Jimmy 12-06-2012 10:40 AM

Little off topic but...

Demo'd the 2012 Roddick Pure Drive last night in my league match.

That thing is a monster. I own a APD GT (that I don't use much anymore) and the Roddick felt softer.

Seemed to be an easier swing than the APDGT even though it's heavier.

But during the second set balls started flying on me. Maybe it was the synthetic setup since i'm used to full polys.