Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Racket Suggestions - More Power, Arm Friendly (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447389)

lstewart 12-05-2012 10:20 AM

Racket Suggestions - More Power, Arm Friendly

Hey Folks, looking for feedback in case anyone can suggest a frame for me to try that fits what I would like to find. I'm a 4.5 male player with more of the old school type game, eastern forehand, one hand backhand, lots of slices, just the basic game from those of us that came up in the days of regular size rackets. I've played the past couple of years with Becker London frames, which are 98 inch thin beam rackets. Got lots of mileage on the wrist and elbow, so the stiff Pure Drive type frames don't work. Recently gave a few larger more powerful frames some play. Have been using the Volkl Organix V1 midplus a few weeks, and have hit a couple of other similar frames. I like the extra power, but the arm is just not responding well to the extra stiffness. Even these type frames that are called arm friendly don't work for me. Also don't like the really light frames. Played around with adding weight, but never really worked it out. Went back to the London last night with a sore arm. Arm felt better, but there is a big power drop. So, does anyone have any suggestions for a frame that is in the 100 - 102 head size, that is a thinner beam frame, and is not very stiff, but that still offers more pop than what I've got with the London, has good feel, is not really light, and is easy on the arm? Most of what comes up when you run a search for that type of frame is really light weight. Also lots of Pro Kennex frames come up. Tried a couple of them a few years ago and did not like them. For whatever reason I just did not get much spin with them, and my strokes really sailed. Actually would like something like the London, in about a 102 size. Anything like that out there?

LeeD 12-05-2012 10:22 AM

Few 102 frames out there that are soft.
Head 107 frames are closer to anyone's 104's, and MicroGelRadOS would have more consistent power than smaller rackets, while not rocketing anything unexpectedly long.

TroutSc 12-05-2012 10:32 AM

donnay xp-dual black 102?

USS Tang 12-05-2012 10:35 AM

Prince EXO3 Red 105.

Dgdavid 12-05-2012 11:25 AM

If you can get them, Microgel Radical Team. 102, near even balance, good swing weight yet 280g strung. Roundish hoop.

lstewart 12-05-2012 11:45 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually have a couple of the Radical Team 102's that were my son's first rackets. They are in his room, and I was looking at them the other day. They are just so light weight. Seems like there are around 10 ounces. I have not had much luck trying to add weight to a frame. That Head racket would seem to be a perfect option if it weighted about 11. something. Can you really take a 10 ounce racket and make it play like an 11.5 ounce racket? Might be something to experiment with.

tennismonkey 12-05-2012 11:45 AM

donnay silver, prince exo3 rebel 98.

LeeD 12-05-2012 11:55 AM

MicrogelOS is about 104, compared to my LMRad, Dunlop200's and 500's. It weighs just over 11 oz. No big power, but huge sweetspot for volleys, so consistent power.

Dgdavid 12-05-2012 02:16 PM

I agree the Rad Team feels light in the hand but the even balance brings it through the ball very well. SW is up at 315 i think.

Dgdavid 12-05-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7048339)
MicrogelOS is about 104, compared to my LMRad, Dunlop200's and 500's. It weighs just over 11 oz. No big power, but huge sweetspot for volleys, so consistent power.

Controllable power LeeD? I am using the MG Rad MP but could use a bigger sweetspot for doubles.

LeeD 12-05-2012 02:24 PM

Very good control, no trampoline whatsoever, power a little stronger than my 200's, more consistent than my 500s' ,but at 11 oz, a little too heavy for me. Stock TW stringing. It feels bad and vibrates when new. After 50 hard groundies, it get's solid and plays well.
It really can be a 104 sized stick. They say they have 5/8th grips, they don't, only 1/2 grips.

sunof tennis 12-05-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgdavid (Post 7048548)
Controllable power LeeD? I am using the MG Rad MP but could use a bigger sweetspot for doubles.

Could you try the IG Radical Pro? Same headsize as the MP, but with the open stgring pattern it provides more pop and may well open up the sweet spot.

PaulMan 12-05-2012 02:39 PM

Agreed with LeeD on MG Rad OS or even older versions like LM, i.Rad, Ti.Rad as a lot of them were Austrian made. Good power, spin, & control. Same can be said of Wilson's Blade Team 104 sq in frames KFactor or BLX versions. They're about 1-2mm wider & 1/3 in longer but most won't notice it & it's very easy to cut off if it does bug you. I've had all versions of the Rads & Blade Teams through the years as great platform sticks. Still have a few, in fact. Great mid weight frames.

Tennisspieler 12-05-2012 03:11 PM

You may like the new Pro Kennex Ki Q 15 (300g). I just playtested it and wrote a comment:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447415

mjnchen 12-05-2012 06:42 PM

Volkl C10 pro 2012, the head size is 98. It's arm-friendly and has some classic feeling. Maybe you can give it a try. Also, I am thinking of ProKennex Kinetic Ki Q5, 100 head size and arm-friendly.

scotus 12-05-2012 07:32 PM

Your best bet is Wilson BLX Five.

Arguably the most arm-friendly stick there is on the market.

It has plenty of power and if you add 1 -3 oz to the handle, you'd find plenty of control as well.

lstewart 12-06-2012 05:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Some good suggestions. I'm going to pull out one of the old Head Team 102's my son has, restring it, and try adding about an ounce of lead tape. Also have ordered 4 demos from some of the various suggestions (Donnay, Prince, Head). I've got a couple of the Head Agassi Radical OS frames that have been laying around a few years. I think they are about 12 ounces, but might string one with hybrid poly/multi and give it a try. My issue generally with the full oversize frames is I feel my serve suffers. Strokes and volleys are good, just always seem to struggle dialing in the serve.

TennisCJC 12-06-2012 08:50 PM

On your london, try this:

put 2 grams of lead at 3 o'c, 2 grams at 9 o'c and 1 gram at 12 o'c. Take off replacement grip and add 2 grams around the pallet just above the butt cap about 1.5" from butt end by wrapping two 4" pieces around the pallet. Add 3 grams approximately 7" from the butt end. Replace grips.

Your london should now have the power you want and even more comfort.

lstewart 12-07-2012 05:36 AM

Thanks Tennis CJC for the weight suggestions on the London. You are adding 10 grams total, with 5 in the head, and 5 in the handle? Sounds like that would add a little weight to the frame, and the balance would not change much? I assume you have used, or are using this? What changes did you notice? I have not tried altering my Londons. I would assume something more drastic would be needed to make much of a change in how the frame plays.