Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Has Federer Ruined Our Perspective on Achievements? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447462)

McEnroeisanartist 12-06-2012 07:00 AM

Has Federer Ruined Our Perspective on Achievements?

Do you think Federer has been so great that it has distorted our perspective on other player's great achievements?

Nadal has been more dominant at the French Open than any player at any grand slam in history. But, his 4 consecutive French Opens isn't that impressive, when you consider that Federer won 5 consecutive Wimbledons and U.S. Opens.

Nadal's 81 match winning streak on clay is incredible. But isn't Federer's 56 match winning streak on hard court and 65 match winning streak on grass court even more impressive.

Nadal reaching 8 out of 9 grand slam finals at one point is awesome, but pales terribly in comparison to Federer's 18 of 19 grand slam finals.

Novak reaching 10 consecutive grand slam semifinals is excellent, but he has aways to go to reach Federer's 23 consecutive.

sureshs 12-06-2012 07:02 AM

No, because he cannot beat his rival.

6-1 6-3 6-0 12-06-2012 07:04 AM

No, Federer has ruined YOUR perspective on other players' achievements.

Clarky21 12-06-2012 07:09 AM

rogerfederer.com is where you belong, OP

DropShotArtist 12-06-2012 07:10 AM

Has Nadal really achieved anything? Has Lance Armstrong?

McEnroeisanartist 12-06-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7049505)
No, because he cannot beat his rival.

Better to be Federer, who cannot consistently beat his rival, than be Nadal who can not consistently beat the field.

McEnroeisanartist 12-06-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7049518)
rogerfederer.com is where you belong, OP

I will have to check out that website. Is it his own? Or some stupid fan created one?

Sumo 12-06-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McEnroeisanartist (Post 7049501)
Nadal's 81 match winning streak on clay is incredible. But isn't Federer's 56 match winning streak on hard court and 65 match winning streak on grass court even more impressive.

Possibly, but I don't understand this one.

McEnroeisanartist 12-06-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6-1 6-3 6-0 (Post 7049508)
No, Federer has ruined YOUR perspective on other players' achievements.

I don't know about that. I remember during the U.S. Open, Djokovic reached his 10th consecutive grand slam semifinal, which is an awesome achievement. A friend who doesn't really watch tennis was like, "wow, that is some achievement, but didn't Federer have like 23 straight?"

Goosehead 12-06-2012 07:13 AM

Humm lets see, where are we ??

oh yes, we're here arnt we..FEDAL WARS...part 2'824'533.

McEnroeisanartist 12-06-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumo (Post 7049524)
Possibly, but I don't understand this one.

I meant that Nadal's winning streak is incredible, but isn't it more remarkable that Federer has the longest streaks on two different surfaces.

BrooklynNY 12-06-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McEnroeisanartist (Post 7049527)
I don't know about that. I remember during the U.S. Open, Djokovic reached his 10th consecutive grand slam semifinal, which is an awesome achievement. A friend who doesn't really watch tennis was like, "wow, that is some achievement, but didn't Federer have like 23 straight?"

Totally, guys who don't really watch tennis are just spouting out random obsessive Federer statistics, and actually getting them correct.

I'm pretty sure anyone who can pull out the "Federer semi streak" "record" off the top of their head watches tennis to a relatively high degree, or is an obsessed Federer fan, but doesn't watch tennis. I think the latter is more likely.

tudwell 12-06-2012 07:17 AM

Federer went 137-3 on hard at one point (2004 U.S. Open to 2007 Australian Open). That's about as good a record as Nadal accumulated on clay over any given four or five year period. Of course, Nadal sustained that level for longer (still going...), but I don't think people realize just how dominant Federer was on hardcourts at his peak. Three losses on the surface in 2 1/2 years and 140 matches.

Clarky21 12-06-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McEnroeisanartist (Post 7049529)
I meant that Nadal's winning streak is incredible, but isn't it more remarkable that Federer has the longest streaks on two different surfaces.

Winning RG 7 out of 8 years isn't remarkable? Lol, you have got to be kidding me.

How about this, OP, Fed has had far less competition on the grass at Wimby than Nadal has had on clay over the years. The very guy you're trashing and calling unremarkable was his only competition there for years. What does that say about all of those Wimby titles Fed won?

FD3S 12-06-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McEnroeisanartist (Post 7049527)

Federer's absolutely skewed perspective for the 'casual' tennis fan, the one that doesn't care about surfaces, head size, H2H, etc. Usually when I try to talk to one of these fans about the game, inevitably some variation of "So Federer's still the best, right?' crops up.

I mean, think about it. Federer's time at number one and number of slams is testament to his long-running ability to beat the tar out of the field, and his time at number one and number of slams are goddamn obscene. Do the math.

90's Clay 12-06-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tudwell (Post 7049536)
Federer went 137-3 on hard at one point (2004 U.S. Open to 2007 Australian Open). That's about as good a record as Nadal accumulated on clay over any given four or five year period. Of course, Nadal sustained that level for longer (still going...), but I don't think people realize just how dominant Federer was on hardcourts at his peak. Three losses on the surface in 2 1/2 years and 140 matches.

ROFL.. His main rivals were Hewitt (who was finished up 2006) Roddick, 35 year old Agassi with a bad back (who was still make finals), and Nadal at the time wasn't good enough to reach a HC slam SF.

Fed's "Peak" coincided with OLD cripples like Agassi, and Subpar players (when compared vs. Nadal, Djoker, and Murray) like Roddick, Hewitt, Old Agassi, Baghaditis, Gonzales, Ljubicic, Davydenko etc. (Discounting Agassi who was old and breaking down anyways, what was there 2-3 slams between all of them?)

In Nadal slam wins, (or even now), he has to go through Djoker, Murray, and Fed.. During the MAJORITY of Fed's slam title, Fed had a much weaker top field he had to get through if he wanted to win those big titles.

Fed came along at the perfect time to amass slams.. During a transitional era when the old guys were finishing and/or already retired (Sampras, Agassi) and at a time when it was a talentless vacuum when complete MUGS were winning slams. (Gaudio, Johansson etc)

Nadal has also been way more dominant his best surface then Fed is on his because he continues to stand the test of time on his best surface and hes only lost there ONCE his entire career

pvaudio 12-06-2012 07:25 AM

No, it's the opposite. He's put into perspective how great he is. When someone like Nadal or Sampras or Agassi can have a huge record and is revered as great AND Federer comes along and thrashes it, that just makes Federer look incredible. It doesn't make anyone look worse. If anything, people with records close to what Federer has done look better. Makes you appreciate just how hard they worked. Take Sampras' weeks at #1 which Federer just this year surpassed.

Sartorius 12-06-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynNY (Post 7049532)
Totally, guys who don't really watch tennis are just spouting out random obsessive Federer statistics, and actually getting them correct.

I'm pretty sure anyone who can pull out the "Federer semi streak" "record" off the top of their head watches tennis to a relatively high degree, or is an obsessed Federer fan, but doesn't watch tennis. I think the latter is more likely.

This thread is largely shenanigans but that is some ugly underestimation. Fed's semi streak is one his signature achievements. Going by your words, I'm pretty sure anyone who calls that record (doesn't need quotes, it really is a record) a random obssessive statistic doesn't know tennis, or is a Fed hater. Probably the latter.

Having said that, the OP should have stated how Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and to an extent Murray have all altered the perspective of having success. While Federer does have the lion's share, they all have shown amazing consistency, so that people started to think the big 4 reaching the semis at every tournament (let alone majors) is normal, and anything less (by them) is failure.

McEnroeisanartist 12-06-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7049538)
Winning RG 7 out of 8 years isn't remarkable? Lol, you have got to be kidding me.

How about this, OP, Fed has had far less competition on the grass at Wimby than Nadal has had on clay over the years. The very guy you're trashing and calling unremarkable was his only competition there for years. What does that say about all of those Wimby titles Fed won?

Clarky, Nadal winning 7 out okf 8 years is remarkable. Beyond remarkable. But isn't it more remarkable that he couldn't win 5 consecutive, something that Federer did at two different grand slams.

I don't think I ever trash Nadal or call him unremarkable. In my first post above, I describe his achievements as more dominant than anyone ever, incredible, and awesome. Yep, really negative on Nadal.

DropShotArtist 12-06-2012 07:41 AM

Nadal clay court streak is no more impressive than Federer's grass given the greater number of tourney's on clay.