Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Upkeep on prince neon (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447556)

tennis_pr0 12-07-2012 08:44 AM

Upkeep on prince neon

Hey guys, just wondering what others with this machine do to upkeep it. I am talking about in terms of cleaning, greasing, tension calibration, etc. I have had the machine for two years and have never had to calibrate it. I test the tension every couple week with a tension measuring device and it always stays spot on. I was in the store the other day and they use the prince neos and they said something about cleaning it every day? The only thing I do is spry it with wd40 every now and then to keep things moving smoothly, but other than that there is nothing else I do. Is there something I should be doing?

Andyroo10567 12-07-2012 09:29 AM

Clamps, glide bar rails, linear gripper, crank bar all need to be cleaned i believe.

Rabbit 12-07-2012 06:21 PM

not much. took the clamps off after 10+ years, cleaned the rails and clamps with acetone and voila! good as new

Lakers4Life 12-07-2012 07:37 PM

Be careful with Acetone, it will melt any plastic. I would use Alcohol first, then some type of mineral spirit like naphtha. It maybe powder coated, but powder coat is usually made of some plastic or enamel.

MAX PLY 12-08-2012 03:40 AM

I have never used anything stronger than denatured alcohol. I regularly clean the clamps, gripper, glidebars, etc. using a combination of a soft cloth, Q-Tips, a tooth brush (effective on the tension head track) and a cotton shoelace (for the gripper). I have on few occasions used a small drop or two of sewing machine oil on the tension head gear/track--but that's it. Finally, I keep mine covered when not in use. Good luck.

beernutz 12-08-2012 10:41 AM

I have only used mine a little more than twice a month for the last two and a half years but have had to do zero maintenance to it. Clearly I am not a high volume stringer so that at the rate I string I may never have to adjust or lubricate it. It works exactly the same as the day I got it and I test the tension calibration about every other string job and that has never needed tweaking.

When I finally hit 100 string jobs on it I am going to treat myself to a Wise tension head. Don't tell my wife though as it is a surprise.

stringwalla 12-08-2012 04:00 PM

Rock Solid Machine. No preventative maintenance required.
Apply hard wax to bar rails and clamp pins every few hundred frames.
Apply Triflow or other oil to bearings in head track wheel bearings and head clamp bearings every 1K frames. Clean clamp teeth/bars/head clamp plates/brake disc with alcohol every 20 frames and your GOLDEN

fortun8son 12-09-2012 12:09 AM

You can also get replacement upper and lower rubber pads for the mounts when they wear out.

Rabbit 12-09-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7052344)
Be careful with Acetone, it will melt any plastic. I would use Alcohol first, then some type of mineral spirit like naphtha. It maybe powder coated, but powder coat is usually made of some plastic or enamel.

thanks. i took the glide bars off, removed the clamps, and then cleaned. No plastic on either one of those two save possibly the feet on the glide bars which were not involved.