Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Advice needed (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447560)

10istalent 12-07-2012 11:01 AM

Advice needed
 
Hello, I need some advice. 2 days before our sectional tournament my daughters coach cancelled her lessons and hitting (both days, last minute). She is a blue chip. She played the sectional and it wasn't great. Then he did the same thing before the thanksgiving national open. She played both tournaments unprepared. I found out last night the coach canceled because he was preparing a boy for the same tournaments. This boy takes 4 hour privates every day and has very deep pockets. Also a blue chip. (my daughter take 1 hour private 2xs a week). The coach obviously does not want to disrupt the money train. Feeling like the ugly step sister my daughter doesn't want to work with this coach any more. How do i handle this? i have coaches bending over to work with her. time for a change? Advice?

mikeler 12-07-2012 11:07 AM

Why not have more than 1 coach? Get a different perspective.

TennisCoachIN 12-07-2012 11:14 AM

Very unfortunate that your daughter had to go through this. It is pretty obvious where your coaches top priority is. It definitely is time to make a change. This type of behavior by this coach will hopefully catch up to him someday. He is looking at immediate gratification (income) and not the long term picture.

It is true that tennis instructors have to make a living, however this type of behavior should not be tolerated. I'm sure you can find another instructor that will honor the committments that are made to your daughter. Good luck

matchplay 12-07-2012 11:17 AM

move on, never let a coach dictate

ga tennis 12-07-2012 11:24 AM

move on!!!!! The same thing happened to my daughter and we left.

LeeD 12-07-2012 11:27 AM

I like Mikeler's advice.
If the current coach wants to be the ONLY coach, move on.
In the meantime, you should have hired a temp to work out your daughter and keep her game sharp.
Coach's are a dime a dozen, why bow to the one who doesn't have your daughter as his priority?

10istalent 12-07-2012 11:32 AM

Thanks for the advice. This is what my gut is telling me also. Change is hard after 3 years. We couldn't find arrangements because it was thanksgiving. Time to start making a plan.

Alohajrtennis 12-07-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10istalent (Post 7051648)
Thanks for the advice. This is what my gut is telling me also. Change is hard after 3 years. We couldn't find arrangements because it was thanksgiving. Time to start making a plan.

Coach doesn't have time for your daughter. Daughter doesn't want to work with coach. Plenty of other coaches available and interested. This seems like a pretty straightforward decision, or am I missing something ?

TCF 12-07-2012 02:53 PM

===========================

julian 12-07-2012 06:01 PM

Completelely wrong
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7051592)
Why not have more than 1 coach? Get a different perspective.

Completelely wrong suggestion if you advice 2 coaches at the SAME TIME

TCF 12-07-2012 06:09 PM

============================

julian 12-07-2012 06:14 PM

I disagree except of your case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 7052190)
I think it has been done be successfully though....if the parent knows enough to give each a role. I am doing it now with my kid. She actually has 3 coaches, one of which is me.

Her one coach is a motivator, love for tennis type of lady. A kid will walk through fire for her. She gets my kid to work hard, become fit, reach balls she would not reach otherwise. Her 2nd coach played the game at a high level. Brilliant at tactics and strategy, something many kid's coaches are lacking. I bring it all together and make sure the fundamentals remain in place even under pressure.

I disagree except of your case
One has to be very careful about crossed signals.
It is a learning process for parents.

TCF 12-07-2012 06:20 PM

=============================

gplracer 12-07-2012 06:34 PM

Move on! I would not be happy if this happened to my child.

jigglypuff 12-07-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10istalent (Post 7051583)
Hello, I need some advice. 2 days before our sectional tournament my daughters coach cancelled her lessons and hitting (both days, last minute). She is a blue chip. She played the sectional and it wasn't great. Then he did the same thing before the thanksgiving national open. She played both tournaments unprepared. I found out last night the coach canceled because he was preparing a boy for the same tournaments. This boy takes 4 hour privates every day and has very deep pockets. Also a blue chip. (my daughter take 1 hour private 2xs a week). The coach obviously does not want to disrupt the money train. Feeling like the ugly step sister my daughter doesn't want to work with this coach any more. How do i handle this? i have coaches bending over to work with her. time for a change? Advice?

Tough call for the coach, blue chip vs blue chip. Maybe it's not the money that's being poured in, but that the potential of the other kid is much greater than yours... or maybe the other kid works harder, is more motivated, has a better attitude...etc. I don't know... just wondering aloud.

10istalent 12-08-2012 03:17 AM

Definitely not a question of talent. My kid plays a total of 6 hours a week for that is all we can afford. She was at player development for a short period. This other kid takes 4 hours of privates everyday. 1 before school and 3 after. Everyday! He also travels to every tournament. My daughter plays maybe 3 a year. She just plays a lot of locals, plays up in age and wins big. The boy cannot win in his own section and plays his own age group. Definitely not a talent question.

10istalent 12-08-2012 03:34 AM

At the supers my kid will win and play multiple rounds. At the big tournaments this kid has never won a single round at any. He goes to easier sections and wins. He is a point chaser who buys points.

gplracer 12-08-2012 04:40 AM

The point is this is just not how things are done. Have you spoken with the coach about this? If it were my child's coach I would have a discussion with him and the owner of the club.

Number1Coach 12-08-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10istalent (Post 7051648)
Thanks for the advice. This is what my gut is telling me also. Change is hard after 3 years. We couldn't find arrangements because it was thanksgiving. Time to start making a plan.

move on get a fresh start and since your girl is not to happy with him now the chemistry will suffer , best to you and your girl

Soianka 12-08-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglypuff (Post 7052434)
Tough call for the coach, blue chip vs blue chip. Maybe it's not the money that's being poured in, but that the potential of the other kid is much greater than yours... or maybe the other kid works harder, is more motivated, has a better attitude...etc. I don't know... just wondering aloud.


Either way, the girl needs a coach who believes in her and is INVESTED in her.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse