Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Has anyone ever tried fasting? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447564)

RoachTennis 12-07-2012 11:06 AM

Has anyone ever tried fasting?

I have been reading up on fasting and am curious if anyone here has tried it and results. Not looking for weight loss though it will be welcomed, mostly interested in the detox benefits. Please post your results and opinions please. Thanks in advance.

r2473 12-07-2012 11:39 AM

I tried it once for almost 6 hours. I got really hungry. Ate a large pizza.

Overall a very good experience.

nyc 12-07-2012 11:43 AM

did the master cleanse...3 times.

Feels awesome.

Itagaki 12-07-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 7051752)
I tried it once for almost 6 hours. I got really hungry. Ate a large pizza.

Overall a very good experience.

I frequently fast for 12-16 hours. 8-10 of which I spend sleeping.

Coffee works well with the hunger

r2473 12-07-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itagaki (Post 7051761)
Coffee works well with the hunger

So does a large pizza

Itagaki 12-07-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 7051765)
So does a large pizza

haha

Well coffee works well to curb hunger while maintaining the fast

pvaudio 12-07-2012 11:59 AM

I don't "fast", but I do severe restriction every now and again if I'm on a routine. So right now, I'm trying to gain 5lbs before May. At the moment I want to see how much fat I've gained, so I'm only going for 600cal today to make my body dump its water. I do not believe in "detox".

sureshs 12-07-2012 12:28 PM

I fast between 10 pm and 6 am every day.

hisrob777 12-07-2012 12:37 PM

Check out Brad Pilon online. He wrote a book called Eat Stop Eat. There is a guy who blogs about intermittent fasting on a site called leangains.com. I've tried both approaches. It works pretty well.

vin 12-07-2012 05:52 PM

Detox is a broad topic. Intermittent fasting promotes autophagy (breakdown and replacement of worn out cell components) which I suppose can be considered a type of detoxification. It also promotes detoxification in the sense that some toxins are stored in body fat, and anything that promotes utilization of body fat (such as fasting) will result in the toxins being released. However, if your liver isn't up to the challenge, this toxin release isn't a good thing.

Other than that, intermittent fasting is pretty good for promoting metabolic flexibility (ability to switch between fat and carbohydrate usage for energy). Many people are metabolically inflexible due to overeating in conjunction with a high carbohydrate intake. Intermittent fasting can help to reverse this.

Finally, keep in mind that most of the benefits associated with intermittent fasting are based on a relatively small amount of research, much of which is based on animals.

I second the recommendation for Brad Pilon's book. It's a good resource and is well referenced. And if I had to choose an intermittent fasting protocol to follow, it would probably be his.

max 12-07-2012 06:17 PM

I've done several 24-hour fasts. It's not so bad. . . but I suppose being Catholic helps in some kind of way. :)

Raul_SJ 12-08-2012 01:54 PM

I have heard that fasting results in the body going into "starvation mode" and reducing metabolic rate...

Is this true and is there a way to avoid this?

movdqa 12-08-2012 03:08 PM

I've done lots of 24 hour fasts and one 48-hour fast. The latter one left me weak, tired and dizzy.

I suppose that it cleans you out but you can also accomplish this with mainly drinking liquids (with calories) for a few days.

Ronaldo 12-08-2012 04:25 PM

While you fast, how do you handle extremely low blood glucose levels?

slowfox 12-08-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raul_SJ (Post 7053280)
I have heard that fasting results in the body going into "starvation mode" and reducing metabolic rate...

Is this true and is there a way to avoid this?

I used to fast once a month for a day, 24-36hrs total before I eat again. Other than feeling like I'm starving, my body didn't really go into starvation mode. But if I were to just eat very very little per day for a week, my body starts to think it must be famine out there and then it's time to start storing more fat, and I get a little pooch on my tummy (normally I'm rather lean).

So I guess it's kinda true from my limited experience. As for avoiding it while one fasts, well I dunno...

3fees 12-08-2012 06:57 PM

I fast from high sugar diets.

Andyroo10567 12-08-2012 10:48 PM

Every year, 1 30 hour famine. Not too bad.

tennytive 12-09-2012 05:19 AM

About 10 years ago I tried fasting for a week. Nothing allowed but water and juicing vegetables and fruit. The idea was to give your digestive system a break.

First day I had headaches from no coffee, but after that, I was able to deal with it okay. Best time to try this is in the hot humid weather to sweat out a lot of the toxins. The theory is that the body will first eat up all the fat, then attack any diseased areas, but I don't know that this is true for a fact. I read about people fasting for 40 days to purify their systems, but there was no way I was about to try that.

I was healthy and not overweight, so I can't say if it really affected me or not, other than being hungry and losing about 11 pounds. It's easier if you can get a friend to fast with you at the same time for mental support.

The hardest part was going to a job and seeing a huge lunch spread and telling everyone I had to pass on it. Second hardest was turning down grilled brats and cold beer on a 90 degree day at a friend's house. Brutal.

That was the third year I fasted, but haven't since. Once a year is recommended, and 1 to 3 day juice fasting has been suggested more often.

My results were inconclusive, so I don't see myself doing this again anytime soon.

chrischris 12-09-2012 06:03 AM

Never tried fasting.. more into fatsing.

Tried speeding though a few times . Earned me a few tickets thats all.

Povl Carstensen 12-09-2012 06:38 AM

I've tried slowing.