Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Racquet physics (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447594)

Princeofwails 12-07-2012 06:00 PM

Racquet physics

I come to all of you with head bowed in respect, since I know someone will help me get my mind wrapped around this. Ex. I hit fantastically with two racquets that have completely different specs. Rac. 1 is 11.4 oz, 4 pts HL, Rac. 2 is 12.8 oz. and 8 pts HL. They both are demos and both feel exactly the same in a match. Now, I have demoed racs. with slightly diff. specs either way and hated them. Both racs. I like above are 95 heiads. Is the answer perhaps directly proportional to the ratio of weight to the frame's balance?

LeeD 12-07-2012 06:04 PM

It could be "new racket infactuation".
Both rackets seem similar in swing weight, what you feel as weight when you swing the racket.
You are strong enough to wield a heavy racket, or a lighter racket, as long as the SW is within your range.
I'd think the heavier weight racket is better for slight mishits, while the lighter racket a bit quicker for volleying.

Princeofwails 12-07-2012 06:19 PM

One is a Wilson, other Yonex. I did the specs with my own (known calibrated correct) so I was able to take their specs out of the equation and work with absolute specs. I think you are on to something with swingweight. Maybe for me, or others too, swingweight plays a more important role in determining what frame will work for each person.

LeeD 12-07-2012 06:23 PM

Most on here would say I'm blowing smoke out of my ears...
But, I find SW the most important factor in my liking a racket or not liking one. Stiffness seems less important, as I use rackets with stiffness ratings from 68 down to 57, and the ball I hit doesn't seem different.
Strings and tension make a difference.
But handle weight less so, even though equal SW's, the heavier overall weight seems to handle incoming hard spins and deep placements better...or more easily.
Currently, I"m on a light racket and SW kick, but I only play at 4.0 levels, and usually doubles, where big groundies is less important than quickness and reflex volleys.

julian 12-08-2012 06:36 AM

Swingweight

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princeofwails (Post 7052240)
I come to all of you with head bowed in respect, since I know someone will help me get my mind wrapped around this. Ex. I hit fantastically with two racquets that have completely different specs. Rac. 1 is 11.4 oz, 4 pts HL, Rac. 2 is 12.8 oz. and 8 pts HL. They both are demos and both feel exactly the same in a match. Now, I have demoed racs. with slightly diff. specs either way and hated them. Both racs. I like above are 95 heiads. Is the answer perhaps directly proportional to the ratio of weight to the frame's balance?

You did NOT provide swingweights of both rackets.
Try to check specs provided by TW and let us know.
Othwise very hard to talk

Princeofwails 12-08-2012 09:42 AM

The frames are a few years old and dont have stated swingweights. I have been measuring the parameters for the swingweight calculator on the two racs. I mentioned. kknowing those, the swingweights were within 5 pts of each other despite the different static weights and balance points. It was pretty enlightening to figure out this was possible after playing for so many years.

julian 12-08-2012 09:45 AM

Swingweights

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princeofwails (Post 7053013)
The frames are a few years old and dont have stated swingweights. I have been measuring the parameters for the swingweight calculator on the two racs. I mentioned. kknowing those, the swingweights were within 5 pts of each other despite the different static weights and balance points. It was pretty enlightening to figure out this was possible after playing for so many years.

Close swingweights explain the similar feel

UCSF2012 12-08-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Just tell us what 2 raq's these are.

Fuji 12-08-2012 04:15 PM

SW is the most important spec IMO. Everything other then flex is easy to change. SW really dictates what style of stick you'll likely be using. I'm a huge advocate of finding the right the SW for your play style. :)

-Fuji

JohnB 12-09-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

A couple of months ago I did an experiment. I tried to set up two rackets with different specs, but tried to get the same feel. Despite one being heavier than the other, They played very similar and the weight difference wasn't that much noticeable as I would have expected.

The two rackets had the same MgR/I and the same curve, only moved upward.

I would love to know the curves of your racket and your MgR/I.

Could you provide your balance in cm and measure the swingweights?

In this thread this the curve I mean (the volkl and the babolat)
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=438238

Princeofwails 12-09-2012 08:08 PM

Sure, I will do some more measurements to see what materializes from what this brings. The funny thing, if you can call it funny, is that I played indoors when I was hitting older racquets and I was hitting a Wilson K95 16x19 27in. against a behemoth of sorts Yonex R-7. The R-7 in its current form was almost a full ounce heavier, but had an almost 10pt HL balance, compared to the Wilson's less HL, the numbers escaped me at this moment. Did the calculator and the swingweights had only a five point difference. This all started out trying to make a Radical (of any generation) the same as a Prestige (of any generation). I was able to do so with the Youteks, non IG. Just added appropriate weight inside grip and lead tape at areas around top of frame. They hit the same using the same multi string at the same tension.

Princeofwails 12-09-2012 08:12 PM

Sure, I will do some more measurements to see what materializes from what this brings. The funny thing, if you can call it funny, is that I played indoors when I was hitting older racquets and I was hitting a Wilson K95 16x19 27in. against a behemoth of sorts Yonex R-7. The R-7 in its current form was almost a full ounce heavier, but had an almost 10pt HL balance, compared to the Wilson's less HL, the numbers escaped me at this moment. I entered my numbers in the calculator and the swingweights had only a five point difference, very close. This whole experiment started out trying to make a Radical (of any generation) the same as a Prestige (of any generation). I was able to do so with the Youteks, non IG. Just added appropriate weight inside grip and lead tape at areas around top of frame. They hit the same using the same multi string at the same tension.