Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dunlop Ice: First Impressions (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447596)

db10s 12-07-2012 06:31 PM

Dunlop Ice: First Impressions
 
Well... It's clear alright... I would say its like fishing line clear. It feels like a generic poly in hand, doesn't seem like it will be to tough to string... Something else, it's DIRT CHEAP! I've found very little first hand experience from others. I hit with it once, but not in my racket, and with a racket I had never hit with before, so I have no reference point. I'm stringing it up tomorrow and hit with it Sunday after I hit the woods (yes, I'm a duck hunting tennis player, odd combo, huh?)

More to follow...

db10s 12-07-2012 06:34 PM

Also, I'm going to try a low tension string bed in one frame and a mid tension in another... Or YOU tell ME what I should string it at.

zapvor 12-07-2012 07:59 PM

um.......i am pretty sure Ice is going away end of 2012. and you are just trying it out now??

rafafan20 12-07-2012 09:52 PM

I was not a fan of the ice, a little bit too much pop and the strings moved a lot. Liked it for serving but thats about it.

cork_screw 12-07-2012 10:07 PM

It sounds like a new street drug.

db10s 12-08-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 7052372)
um.......i am pretty sure Ice is going away end of 2012. and you are just trying it out now??

It was never on my past order forms from Dunlop.....

db10s 12-08-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafafan20 (Post 7052445)
I was not a fan of the ice, a little bit too much pop and the strings moved a lot. Liked it for serving but thats about it.

What tension?

db10s 12-08-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cork_screw (Post 7052454)
It sounds like a new street drug.

I think it already is one.....

pvaudio 12-08-2012 02:04 PM

I love how Dunlop released this string and didn't market it at all. I honestly had no idea it came out. For a string with its price, they should have definitely made a fuss. Truth be told, Dunlop really only needs 3 polys: a flagship, mid-grade and entry. In that order should be Black Widow, Juice and Ice. Right now, Explosive is at the bottom and it's simply woeful. Why they even bothered, I don't know.

db10s 12-08-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7053294)
I love how Dunlop released this string and didn't market it at all. I honestly had no idea it came out. For a string with its price, they should have definitely made a fuss. Truth be told, Dunlop really only needs 3 polys: a flagship, mid-grade and entry. In that order should be Black Widow, Juice and Ice. Right now, Explosive is at the bottom and it's simply woeful. Why they even bothered, I don't know.

Agreed, 3 is the magic number. And Explosive is abysmal at best.

rafafan20 12-08-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 7053272)
What tension?

55 -- it lost tension pretty quickly

db10s 12-08-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafafan20 (Post 7053307)
55 -- it lost tension pretty quickly

At least thats proportional to price... unlike Lux.

rafafan20 12-08-2012 02:34 PM

Never even used Lux, I was disappointed but it is reasonably priced. My go to string is only $8 a pack though.

db10s 12-08-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafafan20 (Post 7053329)
Never even used Lux, I was disappointed but it is reasonably priced. My go to string is only $8 a pack though.

At my pricing its a cheap poly to keep on hand... $40-$50 a reel for me.... :)

westpac690 12-08-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 7052277)
(yes, I'm a duck hunting tennis player, odd combo, huh?)

More to follow...

You're not the only one. I don't know what I love more my Dunlop 400 or my Faulk's bamboo duck call! Sorry, I never tried Ice but I do like me some Hexy Fibre

zapvor 12-08-2012 08:02 PM

well if you like stock up now! they are doing a whole new thing in 2013. i made a thread about it.

db10s 12-10-2012 05:14 PM

I went out to hit with it... It plays like Alu Rough, with a little less spin. It had some nice pop, a little less than the Kirschbaum Super Smash Orange, but more controlled. I strung up one frame at 55lbs and another at 36lbs. I didn't get a chance to hit with the 36, but I REALLY liked the extra pop. The power was controllable, with fair control. I felt like spin was lacking, but other than that, pretty good string for the price.

db10s 12-10-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westpac690 (Post 7053582)
You're not the only one. I don't know what I love more my Dunlop 400 or my Faulk's bamboo duck call! Sorry, I never tried Ice but I do like me some Hexy Fibre

Hexy Fibre is some good stuff, I have a few packs of it... It sure smells like glue though.

zapvor 12-10-2012 06:09 PM

so are you going to stock up?

db10s 12-11-2012 06:19 AM

Maybe a few reels...


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse