Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Head TGK238.4 Elbow Problems - PT57A???? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447636)

star 5 15 12-08-2012 12:15 PM

Head TGK238.4 Elbow Problems - PT57A????
 
Hey everyone-
I've been having some elbow problems for about a year now and the pain started about 3-4 months after I switched to the 238.4 from the 238.1. Anyway I've been diagnosed with elbow impingement in the joint and it mainly hurts when I serve. I tried demoing a few racquets: ig speed 100, bab pst, ig radical, and needless to say as soon as I hit with my racquets I knew there was no way I was switching. Would switching to the PT57A benefit me? I'd love to hear from anyone who has made the switch.

Edit: If anyone is interested the specs unstrung of my 238.4's are:
328g
308mm balance
SW unknown

fusion91 12-08-2012 02:12 PM

I would try a softer co-poly string or hybrid it with a soft multi first. Last resort would be to forgo polys entirely and go fullbed multi. Basically I would try softer strings before switching racquets entirely.

star 5 15 12-08-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusion91 (Post 7053303)
I would try a softer co-poly string or hybrid it with a soft multi first. Last resort would be to forgo polys entirely and go fullbed multi. Basically I would try softer strings before switching racquets entirely.

Went to gut main and lux cross in the past with no help really. These 238.4's even feel stiffer than my 238.1's.

vsbabolat 12-08-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star 5 15 (Post 7053389)
Went to gut main and lux cross in the past with no help really. These 238.4's even feel stiffer than my 238.1's.

That is because the YT Prestige MP is a harsher feeling racquet. I'd give the IG Radical Pro and the Dunlop AG 4D 300 Tour a try.

APG 12-08-2012 05:15 PM

I endured a year long bout of golfers elbow from the the YTMP.
I am playing now with the YTigmp and sometime the microgel with no elbow issues. My advise ditch the YT's and start a regime of arm/joint strengthing exercises.

cmendez79 12-08-2012 05:30 PM

I had also a terrible TE , and I got some PT57A XL, and the pain did go all way, but then it came back, so I guess is a matter of technique and 20% the racket.

If you have the money get the PT57A they are great rackets, but the pro kennex or volkl are great racket with very low flex that can help you.

movdqa 12-08-2012 05:44 PM

I'm using the 238.4s and I love how they play. They are at the edge of stiffness that I can use. I have tried other strings but nothing plays as well as poly for me.

I have a bunch of IG Prestige MPs but I haven't modified them to my specs - they would probably be a bit better for my arm compared to the YTs. I've added a lot of lead at 3/9 on the YTs and that really helps in stability and arm comfort.

What's interesting on the IG Prestige MPs is that I don't need the lead at 3/9. So I guess you can either go back to the MGs or go forward to the IGs.

star 5 15 12-10-2012 10:23 AM

I've pretty much decided to hell with these TGK238.4's. My elbow problems started 3 months after I switched to them. I'll go back to the 238.1. Depending on what I get for the 238.4's I might go to the PT57A. I'm not letting my 238.4's go for any less than I paid for them though.

Edit: Looks like I'm about to pull the trigger on 4 new Youtek PJ PT57A's built to my spec. Hopefully these racquets will work better and maybe I'll even like them more. With that said, my 238.4's are on the market, the *******s...

ART ART 12-10-2012 02:14 PM

Just increase the grip size you use on it.

Most of the TE problems comes from using a wrong smaller grip.

dr325i 12-10-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star 5 15 (Post 7056085)
I've pretty much decided to hell with these TGK238.4's. My elbow problems started 3 months after I switched to them. I'll go back to the 238.1. Depending on what I get for the 238.4's I might go to the PT57A. I'm not letting my 238.4's go for any less than I paid for them though.

Edit: Looks like I'm about to pull the trigger on 4 new Youtek PJ PT57A's built to my spec. Hopefully these racquets will work better and maybe I'll even like them more. With that said, my 238.4's are on the market, the *******s...

Hey man, got your email. Sorry for the delay, traveling to China this week...
I would disagree with ART's comments above as I have tried it from 1/4 to 3/8 to 1/2 and back to 3/8 with OG and no easy fix.

My elbow snapped with the 260.2, a fairly soft stick, I believe around 58-59 RA. However, it was set up way too light. 330g strung and it did it and I am struggling with my elbow ever since. The PT57A did help for two reasons: 1) it was soft and 2) it was set up heavier, 355g. However, my TE is there and I still play with a brace.

Thes days I am using the IG Speed MP, so, not that soft, but, again, around 355-360g with the silicone in the handle (mutes vibrations) and lead around the hoop. My elbow is taking it, however, it always reminds me that it is not fixed, so, I have to be careful.

As for the PT57A -- the 2011 version went through a weird phase when the classic feel and softness were not there as in previous or IG versions. I've had a few ATP Pros also mention that and re-painting the older PJs just for the feel. IG PJ (2012) seemed to fix that. Not sure if it was a "bad" batch or a transition to a different manufacturing site...

Hope this helps.

star 5 15 12-10-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr325i (Post 7056527)
Hey man, got your email. Sorry for the delay, traveling to China this week...
I would disagree with ART's comments above as I have tried it from 1/4 to 3/8 to 1/2 and back to 3/8 with OG and no easy fix.

My elbow snapped with the 260.2, a fairly soft stick, I believe around 58-59 RA. However, it was set up way too light. 330g strung and it did it and I am struggling with my elbow ever since. The PT57A did help for two reasons: 1) it was soft and 2) it was set up heavier, 355g. However, my TE is there and I still play with a brace.

Thes days I am using the IG Speed MP, so, not that soft, but, again, around 355-360g with the silicone in the handle (mutes vibrations) and lead around the hoop. My elbow is taking it, however, it always reminds me that it is not fixed, so, I have to be careful.

As for the PT57A -- the 2011 version went through a weird phase when the classic feel and softness were not there as in previous or IG versions. I've had a few ATP Pros also mention that and re-painting the older PJs just for the feel. IG PJ (2012) seemed to fix that. Not sure if it was a "bad" batch or a transition to a different manufacturing site...

Hope this helps.

You have an email with pictures of the sticks I'm looking at. They actually have the stickers in the throat but no specs or "PT57A" code. There is a picture of the hairpin so go ahead and check it out.

star 5 15 12-10-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ART ART (Post 7056504)
Just increase the grip size you use on it.

Most of the TE problems comes from using a wrong smaller grip.

I'm already using a 1/2. I would like to go to a 3/8 honestly, but I know that would put me in trouble. Thanks for the advice though. Anyway do you have any comment on the newer production of the PT57A's? I think I saw you talking about it changing places or something. Feel free to email me about it.

auburntennis 5 @ aim . com

star 5 15 12-10-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsbabolat (Post 7053432)
That is because the YT Prestige MP is a harsher feeling racquet. I'd give the IG Radical Pro and the Dunlop AG 4D 300 Tour a try.

Do you think I would benefit from switching back to the 238.1 or the PT57A?

El Zed 12-10-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by star 5 15 (Post 7056754)
Do you think I would benefit from switching back to the 238.1 or the PT57A?

Not to intrude, but if you're not totally adverse to 16x19, the TGT293.1 is a ridiculously smooth stick. Just received some today, and it feels every bit as comfy as my Pro Tours and Prestige Pro 600s - if not better (need more time with them to make sure, but leaning that way). Was planning to trade them for a PT57A 16x19, but unless the feel of the latter is significantly better than Austrian made pro tours, see absolutely no reason to do so now - they're a keeper.

Not much info on this particular racquet, however, but perhaps you can uncover some additional details/thoughts and maybe this might be a solution for your issues.

movdqa 12-11-2012 07:20 AM

> My elbow snapped with the 260.2, a fairly soft stick, I
> believe around 58-59 RA. However, it was set up way too
> light. 330g strung and it did it and I am struggling with my
> elbow ever since. The PT57A did help for two reasons: 1) it
> was soft and 2) it was set up heavier, 355g. However, my
> TE is there and I still play with a brace.

I think that the 260.2s are pretty good on the arm. I like racquets in the 360-370 grams area and the weight does help to take out the shock and instability in frames. 260.2s are pretty hard to get though. Especially in XL.

> Thes days I am using the IG Speed MP, so, not that soft,
> but, again, around 355-360g with the silicone in the
> handle (mutes vibrations) and lead around the hoop. My
> elbow is taking it, however, it always reminds me that it is
> not fixed, so, I have to be careful.

I'm a bit surprised that you're going with the Speed. I'm kind of the same way with the 238.4s - I wouldn't go any stiffer and I have to be careful on arm health. I can play all out but have to limit myself on the number of matches per week.

I have a bunch of 292.3s but I haven't customized them yet. I'm up in the air between selling them and customizing them. The 238.4s are just about perfect for me but I think that I could get the 292.3s there too with about a two weeks of effort. Those three layers of lead from 10 to 2 are the killer. I just need to take one layer off and add some at 3/9 (not as much needed as with the 238.4s) and it should be very nice to play with and nicer on my arm.

The IG series seems quite popular in general.

cmendez79 12-11-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movdqa (Post 7057599)
> My elbow snapped with the 260.2, a fairly soft stick, I
> believe around 58-59 RA. However, it was set up way too
> light. 330g strung and it did it and I am struggling with my
> elbow ever since. The PT57A did help for two reasons: 1) it
> was soft and 2) it was set up heavier, 355g. However, my
> TE is there and I still play with a brace.

I think that the 260.2s are pretty good on the arm. I like racquets in the 360-370 grams area and the weight does help to take out the shock and instability in frames. 260.2s are pretty hard to get though. Especially in XL.

> Thes days I am using the IG Speed MP, so, not that soft,
> but, again, around 355-360g with the silicone in the
> handle (mutes vibrations) and lead around the hoop. My
> elbow is taking it, however, it always reminds me that it is
> not fixed, so, I have to be careful.

I'm a bit surprised that you're going with the Speed. I'm kind of the same way with the 238.4s - I wouldn't go any stiffer and I have to be careful on arm health. I can play all out but have to limit myself on the number of matches per week.

I have a bunch of 292.3s but I haven't customized them yet. I'm up in the air between selling them and customizing them. The 238.4s are just about perfect for me but I think that I could get the 292.3s there too with about a two weeks of effort. Those three layers of lead from 10 to 2 are the killer. I just need to take one layer off and add some at 3/9 (not as much needed as with the 238.4s) and it should be very nice to play with and nicer on my arm.

The IG series seems quite popular in general.


hI movdqa,

Whats the balance in your 238.4 xl , do you play with 1 or 2 backhand, because the 376 is heavy, my pt57a xl were 362 but with a SW of 375 which make them like a big hammer, and since I play with 1bh it was very hard to play even with e 32.2 balance .

star 5 15 12-11-2012 09:53 AM

Does anyone have any comment on the youtek PT57A's not having the same classic feel as the other PT57A's?

movdqa 12-11-2012 10:02 AM

I think that my 238.4s are around even balance or maybe a little headlight and I play with a one-handed backhand. My 292.3s have swingweights of 386. I can play with them but my backhand and serve aren't as effective. I guess that the dropoff in RHS outweighs the benefit of plowthrough. I think that I'm about as high as I can go with swingweight because of the backhand and the serve. I did a lot of experimentation with lead tape back in 2011, basically adding lead tape until where my game became less effective.

I could definitely achieve the same SW with lower static weight but I need the lead at 3/9 for stability on the YTs.

cmendez79 12-11-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movdqa (Post 7057893)
I think that my 238.4s are around even balance or maybe a little headlight and I play with a one-handed backhand. My 292.3s have swingweights of 386. I can play with them but my backhand and serve aren't as effective. I guess that the dropoff in RHS outweighs the benefit of plowthrough. I think that I'm about as high as I can go with swingweight because of the backhand and the serve. I did a lot of experimentation with lead tape back in 2011, basically adding lead tape until where my game became less effective.

I could definitely achieve the same SW with lower static weight but I need the lead at 3/9 for stability on the YTs.

When you say even balance, might be 32 cm?

I was too also playing with different set ups, but I can play my 1bh if I go more that 32.5 in balance.

And did you have any dificult adjusting the 376 weight, because its " A LOT", the 360 of SW its not much, well after playing with 375 sw in my pt57a xl everything less than that feels lighter...

movdqa 12-12-2012 10:03 AM

The static weight doesn't bother me. Swingweight is much more of a limiting factor for me in performance. Of course it would be nice to get the static weight down and maybe I can do that with the IGs.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse