Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   TGT 293.1 - Any thoughts? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447657)

El Zed 12-08-2012 04:38 PM

TGT 293.1 - Any thoughts?
 
Have a pair of, what I believe are, new TGT 293.1s coming in this week. Although not unequivocally certain, I believe that they are TGT 293.1s as they are the pro stock variant of the IG YT Prestige Pro (16x19, and paint job). Interestingly enough, I haven't been able to uncover much discussion on this particular pro stock frame (aside from a few sale postings) and would appreciate any insight (particularly of prior use) that anyone may have to offer. Also, and since I'm not necessarily willing to spend near $1000.00 per stick for a 16x19 PT57, will these be reasonable close from a performance perspective (understand that the TGTs are slight stiffer)?

Thanks all.

Fuji 12-08-2012 08:00 PM

From what I've seen from my mate who is sponsored is thy they are A LOT stiffer then the PT57A. The 57's we flexed at 56-58 respectively and the PP pro stocks we had were right around 65 strung. At least that's the ones we got in. :)

-Fuji

El Zed 12-08-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 7053769)
From what I've seen from my mate who is sponsored is thy they are A LOT stiffer then the PT57A. The 57's we flexed at 56-58 respectively and the PP pro stocks we had were right around 65 strung. At least that's the ones we got in. :)

-Fuji

Thanks a lot, Fuji! That would make sense since the retail IGPP has a stiffness rating of 66 (I believe the PT280s were right around 58/59, at least what I gather from past postings). Also, presume that the figures you mentioned are indeed for the IG PP pro-stock rather than the YouTek, right? By the way, did you get a chance to hit with it?

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about it, since this may be the closest I get to a Murray frame (i.e. 16x19 PT57A). Thinking this will lead to either a liquidation of my PT280/630s or my APDGTs, depending on which stick the pro stocks are most comparable to.

Fuji 12-08-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Zed (Post 7053786)
Thanks a lot, Fuji! That would make sense since the retail IGPP has a stiffness rating of 66 (I believe the PT280s were right around 58/59, at least what I gather from past postings). Also, presume that the figures you mentioned are indeed for the IG PP pro-stock rather than the YouTek, right? By the way, did you get a chance to hit with it?

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about it, since this may be the closest I get to a Murray frame (i.e. 16x19 PT57A). Thinking this will lead to either a liquidation of my PT280/630s or my APDGTs, depending on which stick the pro stocks are most comparable to.

That's correct sir! We got a bunch in from Head at the beginning of the IG line as to pick out what he would be sponsoring for the IG line. Sadly I didn't get to hit with them since I'm not the one playing pro! :razz: I wish I could have though!

I hope they play well! Let us know how it goes. Getting those 16x19 57's is a near impossible task, I swear!

-Fuji

El Zed 12-08-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 7053789)
That's correct sir! We got a bunch in from Head at the beginning of the IG line as to pick out what he would be sponsoring for the IG line. Sadly I didn't get to hit with them since I'm not the one playing pro! :razz: I wish I could have though!

I hope they play well! Let us know how it goes. Getting those 16x19 57's is a near impossible task, I swear!

-Fuji

Much appreciated, sir - as usual your posts rock, and are of course very helpful.

Happy to let everyone know how it goes, surprised that there is so little information on them in general.

dr325i 12-08-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 7053789)
That's correct sir! We got a bunch in from Head at the beginning of the IG line as to pick out what he would be sponsoring for the IG line. Sadly I didn't get to hit with them since I'm not the one playing pro! :razz: I wish I could have though!

I hope they play well! Let us know how it goes. Getting those 16x19 57's is a near impossible task, I swear!

-Fuji

Fuji,

Go on stringforum and thre are a few brand new FS at "reasonable" price...

tball 12-08-2012 10:43 PM

The old Donnay Pro Ones are close PT280/630 in weight, feel and flex, but are 16x19. At $70 a piece, I would give them a try.

They are fun to play with, but if winning is your concen, they will not beat the "stiff" PPs you have ordered.

Fuji 12-09-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Zed (Post 7053791)
Much appreciated, sir - as usual your posts rock, and are of course very helpful.

Happy to let everyone know how it goes, surprised that there is so little information on them in general.

You're welcome, and thank you!

-Fuji

Fuji 12-09-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr325i (Post 7053877)
Fuji,

Go on stringforum and thre are a few brand new FS at "reasonable" price...

I'll definitely have to go check it out, I haven't been on SF much lately!

Thanks for the heads up!

-Fuji

El Zed 12-09-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 7054415)
I'll definitely have to go check it out, I haven't been on SF much lately!

Thanks for the heads up!

-Fuji

Perhaps I'm outside the loop, but bear in mind - the reduced asking price is still for one stick.... :oops:

El Zed 12-09-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tball (Post 7053891)
The old Donnay Pro Ones are close PT280/630 in weight, feel and flex, but are 16x19. At $70 a piece, I would give them a try.

They are fun to play with, but if winning is your concen, they will not beat the "stiff" PPs you have ordered.

That's a really interesting point - almost did exactly this a few months back, especially after I found someone who apparently had a store-room full of these sticks (Ltd. and International) and was asking a reasonable price for them - but nonetheless quoted a shipping fee of about $100 from Hapsburg europe.

tball 12-09-2012 08:17 PM

I have 2 early editions (Belgium), and one TW recent re-issue. Those early editions are hard to find, and tend to be very expensive (more than PT280/PT630), but the TW reissue is cheap. Suprisingly, I prefer the TW reissue -- the purple one. It weighs 337 g strung (vs. 354 g for the older versions). Everything else is the same. I play better with it, and I actually prefer it to PT280.

Those re-issues are abundant in the US. No need to import them from Europe.

El Zed 12-10-2012 06:53 AM

Thanks, everyone , for the thoughts.

So any ideas how rare these are? Obviously bought to use, but would be likely to sell them on if they aren't able to match my pro tours - unless, of course, they are uber rare.

El Zed 12-10-2012 06:50 PM

Ok - had some limited time with the racquet, and I'm absolutely blown away. From a feel perspective, they are infinitely nicer than the modern retail Head racquets that I've tried (i.e. IG/YTP Prestige Pro, Mids & MPs, Radical MPs, etc. - won't even mention Babolats here) and are very close to the classics - to me neck & neck with my Prestige Pro 600s, slightly better than my Pro Tours and significantly better than my Prestige 600.

From a performance perspective, they seems to offer the same upside as the APDGT without - what were to me - the negatives. Extremely heavy ball when utilizing a WW stroke and a full western grip, great pace and control. My backhand is measured and predictable when going for put-away shots, while still having access to a nice, precise slice. The 1HBH was always the trouble area with the APDGT in comparison to the Pro Tour, so glad to see it resolved this way. All said, while this racquet is obviously more powerful than the aforementioned Head classics, this power is definitely controllable when utilizing heavy spin and even a flatter shot. I'm impressed, very impressed - always nice to have an effective extra gear.

Fuji and all, if you get the chance to hit with it - you have to take it!

Fuji 12-10-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Zed (Post 7056921)
Ok - had some limited time with the racquet, and I'm absolutely blown away. From a feel perspective, they are infinitely nicer than the modern retail Head racquets that I've tried (i.e. IG/YTP Prestige Pro, Mids & MPs, Radical MPs, etc. - won't even mention Babolats here) and are very close to the classics - to me neck & neck with my Prestige Pro 600s, slightly better than my Pro Tours and significantly better than my Prestige 600.

From a performance perspective, they seems to offer the same upside as the APDGT without - what were to me - the negatives. Extremely heavy ball when utilizing a WW stroke and a full western grip, great pace and control. My backhand is measured and predictable when going for put-away shots, while still having access to a nice, precise slice. The 1HBH was always the trouble area with the APDGT in comparison to the Pro Tour, so glad to see it resolved this way. All said, while this racquet is obviously more powerful than the aforementioned Head classics, this power is definitely controllable when utilizing heavy spin and even a flatter shot. I'm impressed, very impressed - always nice to have an effective extra gear.

Fuji and all, if you get the chance to hit with it - you have to take it!

That sounds like a sweet hit! I'd definitely love to get a chance to try them out some day! Thanks for the feed back!

From what I've seen they are rather uncommon as well, so it would probably be good to hold onto those! :razz:

-Fuji

El Zed 12-12-2012 04:38 PM

Calling DR325i, Calling DR325i - would appreciate any thoughts you might have on this particular frame as you appear to be the guru of pro stocks.

Thanks.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse