Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Head Wear Limit (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447666)

WileyCoyote 12-08-2012 05:51 PM

Head Wear Limit

My so called friends sometimes give me racquets to restring that have the head guard worn thru so bad that the top hoop of the racquet has significant wear into it.

No cracks, just wear into the structural material in the head.

The question is how bad can the wear be before you should not restring? I know cracks are a showstopper, but what other criteria should be used?

Thanks,

Harry

COPEY 12-08-2012 07:05 PM

First you should inform your friends that they should have you replace the bumper guard/grommet set before damage gets to be that severe.

As for stringing with wear to the frame, I personally don't see a problem with it. With wear that extreme, however, it's advisable to be particularly diligent when inspecting the frame looking for signs of cracking. If there are cracks, advise the customer before removing the strings. If you find cracks you have two options: (1) refuse to string the racquet or (2) inform the customer that you'll restring it, but in the event the racquet collapses, you won't be liable.

Lakers4Life 12-08-2012 08:52 PM

+1

Tell your friends this maybe the last time you'll be able to string the racket, unless the head guard/grommet is replaced. Also if they still wish for you to string it, you are note laible for it breaking while being strung or after.

fortun8son 12-08-2012 11:54 PM

I get a lot of 'scrapers'.
Recently, I've been using strips of Gamma Grip Buildup sheets to build up some of the missing material and then cover with head guard tape.
Unless the frame has been worn through to the point of seeing inside, there is little danger of breaking it while stringing.
No need to trash the racquet or refuse restringing.
Of course, a little preventative maintenance goes a long way, i.e replacing the bumper before the paint shows and using head tape..

TennisCJC 12-12-2012 11:23 AM

I had a racket with a lot of wear into the frame break at the head after I strung. I have a Stringway machine with a very good 5 point lock down mount system. The racket was a lighter wide body that was over 2 years old of heavy play - +10 hours per week for 2 years. I think the frame was weakened by the wear and the pressure of new strings cause it to crack at the 10 o'c position. It was an over sized Fischer strung at 54 lbs with a multi-filament.

I have never had another frame do this in 6 years or so of stringing.

cluckcluck 12-12-2012 11:27 AM

Put it in writing if you decide to string is and you agree that you are not liable for breakage.

Irvin 12-13-2012 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote (Post 7053602)
My so called friends sometimes give me racquets to restring that have the head guard worn thru so bad that the top hoop of the racquet has significant wear into it.

No cracks, just wear into the structural material in the head.

The question is how bad can the wear be before you should not restring? I know cracks are a showstopper, but what other criteria should be used?

Thanks,

Harry

If they are your friends what do you wait until the grommets are worn through before you say something? If the wear is through to the frame tell them the only way you will string it is to replace the grommet is you are worried about it.