Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Doubles Racquet - How are these? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447698)

TripleB 12-09-2012 07:48 AM

Doubles Racquet - How are these?

Due to a recent knee surgery I've been advised that I should only play doubles tennis in the future.

Can anyone please give me your playing experiences/thoughts/opinions on any of the following racquets* as far as being well suited for doubles?

- Babolat Pure Storm Team GT
- Donnay X-Dual Silver 99
- Donnay X-P Dual Black 102
- Head YouTek IG Speed 300
- Pacific XFeel Tour
- Pacific XForce
- Pro Kennex Kinetic Ki Q5 295

I'm looking for something that offers excellent spin, a decent amount of pop (not necessarily Pure Drive power, but more than say the Dunlop AG 4D 300), above average control, reasonably good stability for its weight, is easy on the arm, and obviously something that is great for serving (good pop/heavy kicker) and fantastic at net (touch volleys as well as put away volleys).

Thanks for any and all help you can send my way.

TripleB

* I think I've looked at every racquet at T-W and these are all the ones that fit my criteria and seem to have what I'm looking for: 10.9-11.3 ounces, 97-102 square inches, headlight, 16 mains, swingweight under 320, flex under 66, beam width 23mm or under

TennisPo 12-09-2012 08:10 AM

Hey dude, the Head IG Speed 300 fit everything in your criteria. Also, I've tried it, it's an awesome all-around, manuverable racquet. I like it a lot. If I wasn't looking for a lot of spin in a smaller package (aka instinct), i would get this. But be careful: a new "Graphene" version of this racquet is set to be released on January 11, 2013

$0.02-- delivered :)

TripleB 12-11-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisPo (Post 7054340)
Hey dude, the Head IG Speed 300 fit everything in your criteria. Also, I've tried it, it's an awesome all-around, manuverable racquet. I like it a lot. If I wasn't looking for a lot of spin in a smaller package (aka instinct), i would get this. But be careful: a new "Graphene" version of this racquet is set to be released on January 11, 2013

Thanks for the comments and the tip. The IG Speed 300 is the real 'sleeper' out of the racquets I'm looking at.

From all that I've read the Donnay XP Dual 102 Black, Pacific XFeel Tour, and the Pro Kennex Ki Q5 295 seemed to be the real standouts to me but for some reason I always have an eye on the IGS 300.

TripleB

MikeHitsHard93 12-11-2012 07:25 AM

The XForce doesn't have much power at all, so that's probably not what you want

Chotobaka 12-11-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7057607)
The XForce doesn't have much power at all, so that's probably not what you want

X-Force and X-Force Pro, while not rocket launchers, have never left me wanting for power and spin potential. They may not be the most forgiving racquets due to a slightly smaller sweet spot, but the object of the game is to use the center of the racquet to strike the ball. Feel is incredible on these racquets, as is comfort -- both are excellent sticks for doubles (or singles) and are demo-worthy. It is not difficult to generate power with these for anyone with a full swing.

MikeHitsHard93 12-11-2012 08:21 AM

I played with one that had ppa @57lbs, so that's probably why I thought it lacked power. Yes, spin potential was great, excellent control, and probably the most arm friendly stick I've ever used. I'm just not a fan of flexy rackets. The XForce fluttered for me and I probably would've liked the pro version much more

TripleB 12-11-2012 10:37 AM

Alot of the power will depend on how it's strung.

I demoed the XFeel Tour and some point even though people said it was low powered. I think the demo was strung in the mid 40s because the ball was sailing on me so much I thought the control was poor.

By the end of the seven days I had finally dialed in the power and was liking a lot of things about the racquet.

Thanks for everyone's input.

TripleB

thecrusher956 12-11-2012 01:30 PM

I would go with the Speed 300. I normally use an Aerostorm Tour except for doubles, where I use the speed. Really helps with volleys.

A Defenseless Creature 12-12-2012 02:28 AM

The Mantis 300 meets all your specs minus the flex which is one point higher. I have played this racquet with full poly and was surprised by performance as well as comfort. If you are looking for a true "sleeper" the Mantis 300 is definitely worth a play test. It may be a nice surprise.

TripleB 12-12-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Defenseless Creature (Post 7058944)
The Mantis 300 meets all your specs minus the flex which is one point higher.

I appreciate your input.

I had looked at the Tour 305 but haven't even checked out the 300...not even sure why. It may have been because I've been having arm problems and TW gave it a 75 in comfort.

Obviously you felt different as far as the comfort level of the 300.

I think I looked more at the 305 because Jason compared the 305 to the 300 and said that 'the feel is the same, but (the 305) with more power and just as much control.'

TripleB