Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Why do so few use 4 1/2" gripsize? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447728)

JackB1 12-09-2012 02:30 PM

Why do so few use 4 1/2" gripsize?
 
I use a 4 1/2 grip because I go by the old rule that says while gripping the racquet, you should be able to fit 1 finger in the remaining space between your thumb pad and finger tips. I wear a "large" size Men's glove, but I don't think I have unusually large hands. I just wonder why I seem to be in the minority of people that use anything larger than 3/8?

Is there a benefit to going down to a 3/8 when your proper gripsize shows 4 1/2? Does it allow you to hold the racquet looser? Maybe get more wrist action on serves? I just never understood why 4 1/2 is such a rarely seen gripsize when I know there are many guys with hands at least as big as mine?

DustinW 12-09-2012 02:37 PM

I use a 4-1/2 but the measurement rule says I should be using a 5+ grip. With a 4-1/2, my finger tips just barely touch my thumb pad. I used to use a 4-5/8 but I find a 4-1/2 more comfortable now for some reason.

etd 12-09-2012 02:39 PM

Yes, a smaller grip size allows for more wrist action on all shots. Also, it is easier to use a smaller grip size with today's lighter racquets. Back in the 80s, when racquets were heavier, bigger grip sizes were the norm.

I used a 4 5/8 grip when I played with a 12 oz racquet. Now that I play with a 11 oz racquet, I've gone down to a 4 1/2. I find that going down to a 4 3/8 is too much for me, but I am old school (or just plain old).

sargeinaz 12-09-2012 03:27 PM

Long live the 4 1/2 grip!

Fuji 12-09-2012 04:13 PM

I've used 4 1/2 for almost my entire playing days. I'm not sure my hands have changed in size over the years, but it's what I'm most comfortable with.

That being said, I did try 4 1/4 the other day and I really liked the way the racket whipped through the hitting zone. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable using it full time however.

-Fuji

mbm0912 12-09-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7054837)
I use a 4 1/2 grip because I go by the old rule that says while gripping the racquet, you should be able to fit 1 finger in the remaining space between your thumb pad and finger tips. I wear a "large" size Men's glove, but I don't think I have unusually large hands. I just wonder why I seem to be in the minority of people that use anything larger than 3/8?

Is there a benefit to going down to a 3/8 when your proper gripsize shows 4 1/2? Does it allow you to hold the racquet looser? Maybe get more wrist action on serves? I just never understood why 4 1/2 is such a rarely seen gripsize when I know there are many guys with hands at least as big as mine?

I've wondered the same. I'd say my hands are average. I'm currently going off the same rule with the finger you are referring to. If anything, I've considered going larger, to help minimize racquet turn in my hand.

prjacobs 12-09-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7054837)
I use a 4 1/2 grip because I go by the old rule that says while gripping the racquet, you should be able to fit 1 finger in the remaining space between your thumb pad and finger tips. I wear a "large" size Men's glove, but I don't think I have unusually large hands. I just wonder why I seem to be in the minority of people that use anything larger than 3/8?

Is there a benefit to going down to a 3/8 when your proper gripsize shows 4 1/2? Does it allow you to hold the racquet looser? Maybe get more wrist action on serves? I just never understood why 4 1/2 is such a rarely seen gripsize when I know there are many guys with hands at least as big as mine?

Jack, I can't believe that you've tried a zillion racquets and haven't tried a smaller grip :) . Where have you been? It's been a trend for quite a while :) .
etd is right about the increased wrist action.

Headshotterer 12-09-2012 05:19 PM

i remember getting a 4 1/2 head microgel. the grip felt way too big for my hand, uncomfortable, unmaneuverable. 4 3'8 is a good compromise. i am also 6'5 so my hands arent small.

Winners or Errors 12-09-2012 05:22 PM

I've gone as small as 4 1/4, but have had much more success with larger grip sizes. I really think it's what you're used to, because so many people start out now with smaller grips. 4 5/8 with an overgrip feels most natural to me, though I can go down to bare 4 1/2. I think it's a matter of taste, but I feel like I'm in more control of the racquet at that size - probably because I'm trying to over-muscle the racquet. Still, when I use a smaller grip, I find it even harder to relax my grip.

JackB1 12-09-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prjacobs (Post 7055101)
Jack, I can't believe that you've tried a zillion racquets and haven't tried a smaller grip :) . Where have you been? It's been a trend for quite a while :) .
etd is right about the increased wrist action.

I always stuck with what I thought was "correct". Of course I have used 3/8 many times...most demos are only in 3/8. I just got used to 1/2 so 3/8 felt "too small". I think I will try 3/8 for the time being and see how it goes. I also started with 4 1/2 because I had some TE when I started 3-4 years ago and heard bigger was better than too small for TE.

Passion4Tennis 12-09-2012 05:41 PM

Yes, Jack, I've followed the same "rule" as you do. It does surprise me when I see guys with hands larger than mine using grips as small as 4 1/4. I've used a 4 1/2 grip for the majority of my playing days. I feel like I have much better control over the racquet with a larger grip.

prjacobs 12-09-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7055116)
I always stuck with what I thought was "correct". Of course I have used 3/8 many times...most demos are only in 3/8. I just got used to 1/2 so 3/8 felt "too small". I think I will try 3/8 for the time being and see how it goes. I also started with 4 1/2 because I had some TE when I started 3-4 years ago and heard bigger was better than too small for TE.

Jack, I also started using 3/8 on demo sticks. I found I liked the smaller grip so much, I now use it.

MikeHitsHard93 12-09-2012 06:59 PM

Whenever I play with anything smaller than 3/8, I tend to squeeze tighter which causes forearm and finger fatigue.

Anton 12-09-2012 07:43 PM

I used to play with 4 1/2 because according to "finger rule" that's the size I should play with, but eventually found that 4 3/8 gives me more wrist motion range, so I can whip the racket better

rafafan20 12-09-2012 08:00 PM

1/2 all the way, although I've thought about starting w/ 3/8 and go from there.

MikeHitsHard93 12-09-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafafan20 (Post 7055308)
1/2 all the way, although I've thought about starting w/ 3/8 and go from there.

I generally like 3/8 for this reason as well. I like over grips unless its a head hydro sorb grip. That's fine on its own at 1/2

vegasgt3 12-09-2012 08:34 PM

Grip tape. I play with a 4 1/2, but like to use grip tape, so I order 4 3/8

Litespeeds 12-09-2012 09:02 PM

From what I've heard, if you hit with a lot of spin or with fast racquet speed, smaller grips are better. If you are a flatter hitter or swing slower, then you will prefer a larger grip. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

NLBwell 12-09-2012 09:28 PM

Hard to believe that anyone other than children and smaller women use 4 3/8 grips. It seems to be pretty common now, though.
Just so much extra stress on the wrist and arm with the smaller grip. It does allow a more wristy stroke, though.

Ross K 12-09-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etd (Post 7054850)
Yes, a smaller grip size allows for more wrist action on all shots. Also, it is easier to use a smaller grip size with today's lighter racquets. Back in the 80s, when racquets were heavier, bigger grip sizes were the norm.

I used a 4 5/8 grip when I played with a 12 oz racquet. Now that I play with a 11 oz racquet, I've gone down to a 4 1/2. I find that going down to a 4 3/8 is too much for me, but I am old school (or just plain old).

I'm with etd. Have long preferred playing with smaller grip sizes.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse