Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Head Microgel Radical MP (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447844)

riplayer 12-10-2012 03:00 PM

Head Microgel Radical MP

Hello
Looking for a good easy on the arm racquet.
I did some reading on this website, and used the tool for finding one.
It is my understanding that such a racquet must be head light (or evenly balanced), flexible, head surface not so big.
The results of the search using the finding tool here are confusing to me, they cover all spectrum of specs - which cannot be right in my opinion.
Finally , I decided to try a Head Microgel Radical MP, reasonably priced ($89 new)

Any advice about this racquet?

I am an intermediate player, male, 57 y

Thank you

Dgdavid 12-10-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riplayer (Post 7056562)
Hello
Looking for a good easy on the arm racquet.
I did some reading on this website, and used the tool for finding one.
It is my understanding that such a racquet must be head light (or evenly balanced), flexible, head surface not so big.
The results of the search using the finding tool here are confusing to me, they cover all spectrum of specs - which cannot be right in my opinion.
Finally , I decided to try a Head Microgel Radical MP, reasonably priced ($89 new)

Any advice about this racquet?

I am an intermediate player, male, 57 y

Thank you

This has been my match racket for the past two months (singles) and I really like it. Strung with a poly at 50, has decent power and I am accurate and confident with it. Sweet spot is still quite smallish which means I don't love it in doubles but in singles it is great. Serves are not particularly pacey but placement makes up for it. I find I am very confident hitting out with it but that is 18x20s in general for me recently. The near even balance makes it feel very solid for the weight.

LeeD 12-10-2012 03:15 PM

I have 2 LMRadMids.
3 Dunlop200's.
3 Dunlop500's.
1 MicrogelRadOS
Serves are equal amongst any of them.
Precision goes to 500's.
Groundies to the lighter 200's or LMRads.
Sweetspot size and comfort to the MicroGelOS by a country mile.
LMRads would be great, but the stiffness of the upper head is just too much for me.
Don't think you can miss with a MicroGelRad, of any size.

hcb0804 12-10-2012 04:31 PM

You should try the Wilson BLX Pro Staff six.one 100. I used to use the Microgel MP, now I freakin love the BLX PS 100.

riplayer 12-10-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcb0804 (Post 7056671)
You should try the Wilson BLX Pro Staff six.one 100. I used to use the Microgel MP, now I freakin love the BLX PS 100.

Thanks
How important is the Stiffness score?
This one (Wilson) shows 65
Head Radical is 57.
According to the theory, the smaller this number the better for the arm.
Is this correct, or it just doesn't matter?

TimothyO 12-10-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riplayer (Post 7056709)
Thanks
How important is the Stiffness score?
This one (Wilson) shows 65
Head Radical is 57.
According to the theory, the smaller this number the better for the arm.
Is this correct, or it just doesn't matter?

It is one factor.

Other arm comfort factors include:

- weight (heavier is better to a point...too heavy and it threatens the shoulder...too light and you get extra shock)

- SW (higher is better until it threatens your shoulder)

- balance (more HL is generally better, especially as weight increases)

- head size (generally larger heads will soften the impact)

- string pattern (generally more open patterns play softer)

- beam width (generally thinner is softer)

Note these are generalizations. There are always exceptions. And yes, I do take care of my arm. I've seen too many people walking around courts with braces on their arms. This damage can be caused by the hardware or, more often, poor technique which is sometimes induced by the hardware. For example, many noob frames are so hard to control players tap at the ball like they're playing badminton...wrist and elbow pain soon follow because they're using their wrist and elbow to wield a head heavy 10-11 oz frame as if it were a table tennis paddle.

eman resu 12-11-2012 01:16 AM

I used to play with a Flexpoint Radical MP. I found it great on serves (maybe the best serving racquet I've had) and backhands, but not so good on topspin forehands. Actually everything flat came out good, but topspin was lacking. It was also hard to swing (sw too big at 330 and almost even balance?), wich is why I think I had problems with my topspin strokes.
How does the MG play in comparison? Is the 15 points lower sw really noticeable?

taurussable 12-11-2012 04:29 AM

get a pair of matched mg rad mp and u all set for ur career unless u equipment nerd:)

riplayer 12-11-2012 05:22 AM

Thank you all
Just ordered one, arrives tomorrow.
Can't wait to try it

hersito 12-11-2012 07:32 PM

Ohh I'm a little late then, I was goign to say that it might give you some problems, it's not the most control and players raquet but is quits stiff and can give you arm pain> It comes strung with poly, if that happens get it strung with multis at around 56 and it will be much easier on your arm. Maybe you should use a raquet with more power and a slighter bigger head size, like an APDGT if you dont like this one.

LeeD 12-11-2012 07:36 PM

I bought the TW MGRadOS 3 weeks ago.
String is just fine as is, good tension, what I"d call around 56 for an OS. Needs about 50 shots to break in and settle in. Brand new, it's a rattling pinging machine.
Racket is fine, has plenty of power for any level of tennis.
It's definetely softer than Dunlop200's, and power equal if not better possibly due to bigger head size.
If I was a singles player, I'd consider the MGMid, which has to be easier and smoother than the LMRadMids.

riplayer 01-26-2013 04:47 PM

It's now over a month since I bought this and I played with it several times.
I can definitively say that now my elbow hurts, while in the past with my old Wilson n4, my elbow did NOT hurt (wrist hurt a lot..)
So... I purchased this Microgel Radical based on reviews and believing that it will be easy on my elbow.
Turns out I was so wrong.
So the question is what are all those reviews, and score numbers good for?
I'm so disappointed.
The only good thing is that my wrist does not hurt when I play this racquet (pain moved from wrist to elbow)

taurussable 01-26-2013 05:04 PM

the specs of your old n4.

Length 27.5 inches 70 centimeters
Head Size 101 square inches 651 square centimeters
Weight 9.8 ounces 278 grams
Balance Point 14.25 inches
36 centimeters 4 pts Head Heavy
Construction Dual Taper Beam 24mm / 28mm / 25 mm
Composition 20% nCoded Hyper Carbon / 80% nCoded High Modulus Graphite
String Pattern 16 Mains / 19 Crosses

If you had pointed out this was racquet you were using, folks probably wouldn't have suggested mg rad mp to you. it is too big a jump for you to go from the light head heavy large head size racquet to a players racquet...

mg rad is one of the most comfortable racquets out there... :(

pshulam 01-26-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

I purchased this Microgel Radical based on reviews and believing that it will be easy on my elbow.
it might be the string or tension. Are you hitting a lots of off-centered shots?

riplayer 01-26-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pshulam (Post 7168755)
it might be the string or tension. Are you hitting a lots of off-centered shots?

Probably average, not a lot

hersito 01-29-2013 07:40 AM

As I told you, string it with multi at around 54 and your arm problem will go away, still have to try the stick with poly at 50. It comes prestrung with a very stiff poly at around 56 and its too hard on the hand and elbow, I think it's head sonic pro 16 poly.

MikeHitsHard93 01-29-2013 08:39 AM

I play with a pro open with poly syn gut hybrid and it is comfortable until the string dies. You should have no problem with mg rad comfort whatsoever

riplayer 01-29-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hersito (Post 7177296)
As I told you, string it with multi at around 54 and your arm problem will go away, still have to try the stick with poly at 50. It comes prestrung with a very stiff poly at around 56 and its too hard on the hand and elbow, I think it's head sonic pro 16 poly.

Thank you, I'll consider your advice

LeeD 01-29-2013 01:45 PM

If you arm hurts with the softest racket availible, your MG, you have an arm problem.
Take time off, heal your arm, then hit more centered so it don't twist and impact your arm.
I use a 5/8 grip size, and that helps tons for preventing racket twisting.

TheBoom 01-29-2013 02:03 PM

Weight it up to 12.5 oz if you can handle it. I did for a while and the feel was so solid and I could hit such heavy balls however I hurt my shoulder so I took the tapoe off to prevent further injury but a solid stick in stock for too!