Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Cross for Wilson Natural Gut (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447853)

PigPen 12-10-2012 05:18 PM

Cross for Wilson Natural Gut

I'm a 4.5/5.0 level player looking for a cross with Wilson gut. Didn't want anything too stiff because of a sensitive arm. Any suggestions?

finalfantasy7 12-10-2012 05:24 PM

Co-focus, a lot people really like this especially as a cross with gut mains

Lambsscroll 12-12-2012 04:04 PM

For kicks try what Fed uses. You only live once.

The Meat 12-12-2012 04:26 PM

I'm actually liking Luxilon 4g as the cross, Dimitrov and I believe Serena also uses this combo as well. 4g holds tension pretty well and a smooth poly cross allows the mains to glide over it.

Stringers 12-12-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finalfantasy7 (Post 7056809)
Co-focus, a lot people really like this especially as a cross with gut mains

Just got done with this set up. Plays great, was a little too soft for me but I can see why others love it.

Right now Pacific Classic/B5E is my go to.

TimothyO 12-12-2012 04:46 PM

4G.

Holds tension as well as natural gut. Only problem: depending on the frane it can feel mighty stiff.

I'm having a PSGT strung with Wilson Gut / 4G 125 @ 49/45 to see now that works.

If really seekng a soft co-poly then I agree, MsV Co-Focus is perfect. Nothing more comfortable. Only downside is lower control and lots of power, at least for a poly.

PigPen 12-12-2012 06:01 PM

I'm using a Vantage 95 at 63 flex. What does 4g cross play like? I was thinking of trying pro line II with gut. What do you think?

PigPen 12-12-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambsscroll (Post 7060082)
For kicks try what Fed uses. You only live once.

How long does this combo last?

Rjtennis 12-12-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PigPen (Post 7060241)
I'm using a Vantage 95 at 63 flex. What does 4g cross play like? I was thinking of trying pro line II with gut. What do you think?

That's exactly what I was going to recommend. I think Pro-Line II would fit what you are looking for well.

Maui19 12-13-2012 03:36 AM

Here's what I like:

Best: Tour Bite, Hurricane Feel. Both have good spin and pop

OK: 4G--maintains tension well, otherwise a little dull. Hepta-Twist--great spin, decent power, lousy plastic feel.

No thanks: RPM Blast--great performance for a couple hours, then dies horribly. I've never had my arm hurt as much as when hitting with this stuff after it died (about 4 hrs).

Now trying: Big Hitter Blue Rough, Volkl Cyclone.

After these two, I'm done screwing around with crosses for my gut.

10smonkey 12-13-2012 04:05 AM

I use vs 17 in the mains and pro line 2 18 gauge in the crosses on my pdr and love it

finalfantasy7 12-13-2012 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stringers (Post 7060128)
Just got done with this set up. Plays great, was a little too soft for me but I can see why others love it.

Right now Pacific Classic/B5E is my go to.

ive never tried B5E, but ive heard very good reviews about it, the thing is with co-focus thats its very cheap set/full reel, for the price v peformance - in my opinion its up thr.

Could you compare the two setups, good to read

WileyCoyote 12-13-2012 05:29 AM

Agree on the 4G and Co focus. The Co focus is softer, but the 4G is OK for me and seems to last longer.

Fed's setup as last I read about it was Wilson NG with ALU rough at something like 49 mains and 47 crosses, depending on which article you read. Wilson sells this as Champions Choice. I tried it and like the 4G better.

I would try the co focus first, and if its life is too short, try the 4G. I string at 50/48 and these are the most delicious stringbeds I have ever felt when I manage to find the sweet spot.

Harry

parasailing 12-13-2012 09:02 AM

Kirschbaum Evolution for power
Ltec 4S for crisp feel and excellent tension maintenance
4G - haven't tried it yet gets good reviews here on the forum
Signum Pro Plasma Poly - good control and tension maintenance

cmartin 12-13-2012 09:20 AM

I have been using Ashaway kevlar 17 ga. as a cross. Feels softer then polys in that usage but lower powered. I string it about 4 lbs less than the mains. btw, the gut "saws" the kevlar not the other way around as one might expect and the kevlar frays first.

The Meat 12-13-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote (Post 7060896)
Agree on the 4G and Co focus. The Co focus is softer, but the 4G is OK for me and seems to last longer.

Fed's setup as last I read about it was Wilson NG with ALU rough at something like 49 mains and 47 crosses, depending on which article you read. Wilson sells this as Champions Choice. I tried it and like the 4G better.

I would try the co focus first, and if its life is too short, try the 4G. I string at 50/48 and these are the most delicious stringbeds I have ever felt when I manage to find the sweet spot.

Harry

Babolat VS Team Gut actually, the good stuff :wink:

TimothyO 12-13-2012 09:53 AM

Hit at lunchtime with Wilson Natural Gut 16 / 4G 125 at 49/45 in a modified Pure Storm GT (16x20, 98").

Wow!!! Extremely comfortable and great combination of control, power, and spin. I used the Wilson since I happened to have an extra half-set laying around. Next time I'll be giving VS Touch/4G a try at this lower tension. The 4G seems stiff enough to provide plenty of control in spite of the low tension, even with gut mains.

JT_2eighty 12-13-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PigPen (Post 7056796)
I'm a 4.5/5.0 level player looking for a cross with Wilson gut. Didn't want anything too stiff because of a sensitive arm. Any suggestions?

another vote for MSV Co-focus. Soft and remains soft over time. Most other polys get harsh over time.

If you don't want poly and want pure comfort for the arm, Isospeed Professional Classic is going to give you great comfort and control, and as a 4.5-5.0, you'll be fine generating your own spin and power, since it won't be the 'easy spin' you get from poly.

Even the softest poly will not be nice to a really sensitive arm.

JT_2eighty 12-13-2012 10:10 AM

You could always just cross it with a good syn gut of your choice.

The benefit to either an Isospeed Classic or a Synthetic Gut is that your tension & playability over time will be much more consistent than any poly. Even the best tension maintenance polys lose their luster over time. MSV co-focus is the only one I tried that remains soft over time, but even that one gets a little too powerful if you don't break it after a few weeks.

What string pattern / racquet do you use?
What's your standard tension?

PigPen 12-13-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT_2eighty (Post 7061478)
You could always just cross it with a good syn gut of your choice.

The benefit to either an Isospeed Classic or a Synthetic Gut is that your tension & playability over time will be much more consistent than any poly. Even the best tension maintenance polys lose their luster over time. MSV co-focus is the only one I tried that remains soft over time, but even that one gets a little too powerful if you don't break it after a few weeks.

What string pattern / racquet do you use?
What's your standard tension?

I use a Vantage 95, 63 flex and 16x19 string pattern. I have been using Wilson 17g gut with 18g Co-Focus at 50/47. The combo is nice and comfortable, but MSV seems to get powerful over time. I'm looking for a combo that is comfortable, retains tension and has great feel. I am more of a touch than power player.