Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Tennis Recruiting National Showcase Series (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447898)

treeman10 12-11-2012 08:05 AM

Tennis Recruiting National Showcase Series

From the article on TR linked below:

The Tennis Recruiting Network is excited to announce a new series of tournaments called National Showcases. Tournaments in the National Showcase Series are USTA-sanctioned junior tournaments open to players from all sections. These tournaments are designed to give a broad range of players the chance to compete outside of their districts and sections - and these tournaments will count towards Tennis Recruiting rankings.

Continues here:

http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/article.asp?id=1585

I agree with what they say about the directors, the ones I know on the list run great events. Looks like more playing opportunities which is great. Nice follow through Dallas and TRN.

jigglypuff 12-11-2012 08:42 AM

I don't see the incentive for anyone to travel... Looks like the better local kids are going to play up, if they even play.

Misterbill 12-11-2012 08:57 AM

From reading posts here, I have the formed the opinion that objections to the USTA's proposals center on the following three concerns:

1. Fewer chances to have memorable family trips to national tournaments
2. Fewer opportunities to play a wider selection of opponents from other sections
3. Fewer opportunities to be seen by college coaches because it is more difficult for college coaches to travel to regional or sectional events compared to national events

I think the TRN National Showcase Series addresses each of these concerns, and I was expecting the posters who were complaining about the USTA's proposals to be elated about this.

Am I out of touch with the general sentiment of the Board yet again?

lala28m 12-11-2012 09:09 AM

It sounds confusing. For parents new to tennis, it would be simpler if there was one governing body.

maggmaster 12-11-2012 09:12 AM

I wish they had the mens open at every one. I would love another national mens series like this.

Misterbill 12-11-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lala28m (Post 7057815)
It sounds confusing. For parents new to tennis, it would be simpler if there was one governing body.

There still is only one governing body.

This is my attempt to simplify:

If you are looking for a family trip to a national junior tennis tournament, and your child does not qualify for a USTA national, there is now another series of national tournaments you can travel to.

If you think your child does not have a wide enough diversity of opponents in your home section, and your child does not qualify for USTA nationals, there is now another series of national tournaments that would probably attract opponents your child has not played before

If you think D1 college coaches won't see your child if your child does not play in a USTA national tournament, there is now another series of national tournaments at which coaches can see your child

treeman10 12-11-2012 09:35 AM

Good posts Misterbill. Yes, more opportunities to play = good.

ga tennis 12-11-2012 09:40 AM

AWESOME!!! We will be playing all of these in the South.

Misterbill 12-11-2012 09:48 AM

In addition, matches in these tournaments will be reflected in TRN rankings. What's not to like?

I guess anyone who is trying to chase USTA points might greet this development with indifference. Except for those families, who isn't happy about this?

klu375 12-11-2012 09:51 AM

Your concern #3 is only partially addressed. The Winter BG16-18 that USTA wants to whack has almost 1000 applicant. There will be large number of coaches and assistant coaches looking at large number of recruits (mostly juniors) all in one place. Coaches are building their recruiting lists for 2014 now. It is a convenient time for most players and coaches to meet each other (even if they cannot talk). Small tournaments in random places will not replace events like that. Based on my limited personal experience this event should not be eliminated - it should be expanded with larger draws in BG18.

Misterbill 12-11-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klu375 (Post 7057871)
Your concern #3 is only partially addressed. The Winter BG16-18 that USTA wants to whack has almost 1000 applicant. There will be large number of coaches and assistant coaches looking at large number of recruits (mostly juniors) all in one place. Coaches are building their recruiting lists for 2014 now. It is a convenient time for most players and coaches to meet each other (even if they cannot talk). Small tournaments in random places will not replace events like that. Based on my limited personal experience this event should not be eliminated - it should be expanded with larger draws in BG18.

Just to be clear, the "concerns" I have stated are not mine. They are based on my reading of posts by those who are opposed to the proposed changes

I do not have a problem with the concept of smaller USTA national draws. I have not taken the time to assess all the details, and I suppose some details could be tweaked. I generally adhere to the MarTennis line of thinking that the USTA's proposed changes shouldn't make any given junior a better or worse player.....hope I haven't misrepresented your thinking, MarTennis.

In response to your specific comment, it has been our family's experience that a coach who is recruiting in the top-50 TRN, will not usually look at #200 TRN just because #200 TRN happens to be at the same tournament with the top 50. I suppose lightning like this could strike, but I think the odds are low.

Coaches who focus on #150--#300 for example, will go where the largest concentration of these players are entered, whether it is a USTA national or a TRN national, I think.

klu375 12-11-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misterbill (Post 7057891)
Just to be clear, the "concerns" I have stated are not mine. They are based on my reading of posts by those who are opposed to the proposed changes

I do not have a problem with the concept of smaller USTA national draws. I have not taken the time to assess all the details, and I suppose some details could be tweaked. I generally adhere to the MarTennis line of thinking that the USTA's proposed changes shouldn't make any given junior a better or worse player.....hope I haven't misrepresented your thinking, MarTennis.

In response to your specific comment, it has been our family's experience that a coach who is recruiting in the top-50 TRN, will not usually look at #200 TRN just because #200 TRN happens to be at the same tournament with the top 50. I suppose lightning like this could strike, but I think the odds are low.

Coaches who focus on #150--#300 for example, will go where the largest concentration of these players are entered, whether it is a USTA national or a TRN national, I think.

I partually agree with you. Maybe 2 different draws one at L1 and one at L2 simultaneously would not be a bad idea. Actually this is kind of what will happen in Arizona - some juniors will not make the cut into 18th and will play 16th with the hope to be seen too. And some of them are inside 100 TRN.

HIGH-TECH TENNIS 12-11-2012 10:19 AM

We've watched this series of tournaments as it developed but have been keeping the secret since LAST AUGUST--whew! :) What a relief that now we can speak openly! So SHOUT OUT to our friends at Tennis Recruiting for recognizing a need and for stepping UP on behalf of junior tennis players!! :) YAY for giving players more choices -- the changes would have harmed too many!!

gully 12-11-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lala28m (Post 7057815)

Simpler, yes, I agree. Better? That's another question. It strikes me that the current regime of the USTA -- which, frankly, is in charge -- is really interested only in the top 1 percent of players, a group from which they hope a top pro or two might emerge, and thus justify their exorbitant salaries, staffs, and facilities.

It looks to me like this new set of tourneys is being proposed to meet a need that the USTA Player Development and Junior Competition folks have very little interest in. And I agree with MB, these events should help address the concerns/gaps identified by the parents, coaches, and juniors who have spoken out against the USTA's planned changes.

tennis5 12-11-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gully (Post 7058073)
Simpler, yes, I agree. Better? That's another question. It strikes me that the current regime of the USTA -- which, frankly, is in charge -- is really interested only in the top 1 percent of players, a group from which they hope a top pro or two might emerge, and thus justify their exorbitant salaries, staffs, and facilities.

It looks to me like this new set of tourneys is being proposed to meet a need that the USTA Player Development and Junior Competition folks have very little interest in. And I agree with MB, these events should help address the concerns/gaps identified by the parents, coaches, and juniors who have spoken out against the USTA's planned changes.

Agree. If the USTA leaves a vacuum, others will fill it.

Chemist 12-12-2012 06:14 PM

There is only one Showcase tournament in Eastern/Middle States/Mid-Atlantic sections. We would love to drive to a few of them. Perhaps, some of the L5 sectional tournaments can be made a part of the Showcases.

Alohajrtennis 12-12-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemist (Post 7060264)
There is only one Showcase tournament in Eastern/Middle States/Mid-Atlantic sections. We would love to drive to a few of them. Perhaps, some of the L5 sectional tournaments can be made a part of the Showcases.

Many of these events are actually national L5's, so there are actually some national points for some of them, but that would only be for 2013. In 2014, there are no more L5's.

Chemist 12-14-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alohajrtennis (Post 7060291)
Many of these events are actually national L5's, so there are actually some national points for some of them, but that would only be for 2013. In 2014, there are no more L5's.

One can only get section or national ranking points if he/she is from the section that is hosting the tournament. BTW, sections may still do L5 in 2014 and use the ranking points for section endorsement, even though the L5 points will no longer be included in national rankings.

Chemist 12-14-2012 04:45 PM

Would it be nice to host a showcase tournament in the same town and during the same week as the hard court super nationals (in Kalamazoo and San Diego)? This would also allow coaches to have a chance to watch some 3 stars and 4 stars.

tball2day 12-14-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemist (Post 7063727)
Would it be nice to host a showcase tournament in the same town and during the same week as the hard court super nationals (in Kalamazoo and San Diego)? This would also allow coaches to have a chance to watch some 3 stars and 4 stars.

You just can't compete with the biggest show of the year in junior tennis. It's the Zoo/Nationals and is meant to be exclusive.They have other events to see 3 and 4 stars, this is the place to be for the top dogs. I think it would lose something if it was any other way.