Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Two problems related to new racquet purchase (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447958)

andrehanderson 12-12-2012 03:21 AM

Two problems related to new racquet purchase

I'm a 3.5-4.0 player who uses a Head Prestige S.

Broke my strings one day so I borrowed my partner's spare racquet, the Babolat Aero Pro Drive, and finished out the session hitting winner after winner and generally making shots I normally struggle to make.

I called the local tennis shop--I live in Brasilia, Brazil--and asked if they had an APD in stock. They did and I asked them to hold one with a 4 3/8 grip like my Prestige S. The next day my friend dropped off the cash for me and picked it up, strung according to my specs.

The grip is 4 3/8 but it feels much larger than the grip on my Head stick. I have some wrist problems, and the increased grip size seems to make them worse.

My questions:

1) The store wont take the racquet back, and racquets here are twice the price of the racquets in the U.S., so is there a way I can reduce the size of the grip?

2) The racquets are vastly different. If I figure out the grip issue, should I choose one and stick with it, or do you think I can continue to develop my game using two very different racquets.

Here is video of me playing, if it provides any useful info for the second question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grhOgx68ptU

Thanks so much for any advice you can provide!

Minion 12-12-2012 03:41 AM

I cant give you advice on the grip size issue, but i also play with the Prestige S - switching from the Dunlop Bio Max 200G. I have tried many racquets and generally found that it takes me a while - usually a month or two to really get a feel for the racquet, which overgrip, what strings, what tension etc..

I would stick with the Prestige S for a month or two if were you, try different string setups, see what works for you. Its a great feeling racquet, and judging by your video clip, you seem to time the ball nicely with it.

svarthofde 12-12-2012 03:44 AM

some tennis shops also do racquet tuning. a friend of mine changed the handle of a head racquet 6 months ago and he told me they simply stripped the racquet of the old handle and than replaced it with a new one.
he wanted on of those head handles that are rounder on a wilson racquet

Bartelby 12-12-2012 03:55 AM

1. Change the syntec grip to a skinfeel grip and it should reduce the size of the grip or simply replace it with two overgrips.

2. You'll have to develop more racquet head speed if you want to get the most out of an apd as the video shows a very slow swing.

Hi I'm Ray 12-12-2012 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrehanderson (Post 7058942)
I'm a 3.5-4.0 player who uses a Head Prestige S.

Broke my strings one day so I borrowed my partner's spare racquet, the Babolat Aero Pro Drive, and finished out the session hitting winner after winner and generally making shots I normally struggle to make.

I called the local tennis shop--I live in Brasilia, Brazil--and asked if they had an APD in stock. They did and I asked them to hold one with a 4 3/8 grip like my Prestige S. The next day my friend dropped off the cash for me and picked it up, strung according to my specs.

The grip is 4 3/8 but it feels much larger than the grip on my Head stick. I have some wrist problems, and the increased grip size seems to make them worse.

My questions:

1) The store wont take the racquet back, and racquets here are twice the price of the racquets in the U.S., so is there a way I can reduce the size of the grip?

2) The racquets are vastly different. If I figure out the grip issue, should I choose one and stick with it, or do you think I can continue to develop my game using two very different racquets.

Here is video of me playing, if it provides any useful info for the second question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grhOgx68ptU

Thanks so much for any advice you can provide!

Q1-Grip: Switch the grip for a Babolat Skinfeel grip, it should reduce the grip size by 1/2 a size or more. With the thinner grip will come a reduction in weight. If you are not affected by the weight reduction then great, but if you are:
Add some lead tape to the handle to counter balance. To prevent building the grip size back up, wind it around the buttcap, tape it inside the handle, or as I like to do: pry off the Babolat symbol from the plastic trap door (secured by double sided foam tape), stick the lead tape onto the trap door in layers, trim the edges, replace trap door, stick the symbol back on if you want to.

Q2-Switching rackets: I would say switching is bad for consistency especially with such different rackets, but continuing to play with both is the best way to really figure out what is best for your game. I would stick with one racket for the majority of a hitting session, and maybe switch to the other for the last 15-20 min of the day for comparison. Or stick with the new frame for a while to really get it dialed in before going into comparisons.

Wrist pain with the APDGT: What string & tension are you using? I use the APDGT and find the comfort can be either good or bad depending on the string set up.

You seem a bit hesitant in the vid leading to slow shots, your shot & consistency seem fine so don't be afraid to hit more aggressively!

tyu1314 12-12-2012 05:56 AM

If you really cant get used to it, then resell. Can you buy it online? shipping cost plus racquet should be cheaper than buying it in your local shop. Maybe you can find a used one on this board for a really good price.

monomer 12-12-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrehanderson (Post 7058942)

If you are looking to really maximize your game, you should stick with a single racquet. If you just want to have fun there is nothing wrong with switching.

Thinking about what style of tennis you want to play should help you choose. Watching you rallying, I would guess that your game it built on precision and playing within your limits. The APD isn't probably the best choice for this. I am a long time APD user. It is a racquet that makes me want to really be aggressive.

The APD is much stiffer than your Prestige S. It's going to give you more power and spin. Add this to the "I really want to take a rip at the ball" feeling and that is probably why you were hitting winners with it. If your arm can handle the stiffness and you get better results you might as well switch.

andrehanderson 12-12-2012 10:43 AM

Thank you all so much for the advice!

I'm going to try the skinfeel grip and will see how I like the two. I think I need a stiff racquet my only worry is that the tennis elbow I had when I played in high school will return. Is that more a question of form or physiology?

andrehanderson 12-12-2012 10:47 AM

I'll try to address each response individually when I get to a computer (am on my phone), but didn't want to wait any longer to thank you guys for the advice.

TennisCJC 12-12-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartelby (Post 7058955)
1. Change the syntec grip to a skinfeel grip and it should reduce the size of the grip or simply replace it with two overgrips.

Yes, Babolat skin feel replacement grips reduce the size about a half size (a size is 1/8 of an inch). It is a noticeable difference. I have been playing these grips since they came out and they are very nice grips too.

jonestim 12-12-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCJC (Post 7059480)
Yes, Babolat skin feel replacement grips reduce the size about a half size (a size is 1/8 of an inch).

If you can't find the Skin Feel locally you can use a Prince ResiThin as well. Babolat is 1.55mm, ResiThin is 1.5mm.

andrehanderson 12-16-2012 12:59 PM

Here is a bad day of tennis. Any feedback on the floating I seem to be doing with some of my shots. Is this a racquet/string issue, or form? I slowed some of the shots down in the second video, in case it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xMxMDeKqOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzp1F22-M-o

andrehanderson 12-16-2012 01:02 PM

And thanks again!

dyldore 12-16-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartelby (Post 7058955)

+1 on the change to Skinfeel. Syntec is a pretty thick grip and does make grips feel a half size larger, or more. If you do choose to go with just overgrips, I would recommend three. I used two for a while and it is just not soft enough, it felt like my hands were bruised after long hits, just a preference, though.

zapvor 12-16-2012 03:55 PM

you shouldve just stuck with prestige!

MikeHitsHard93 12-16-2012 05:14 PM

In your video, it has absolutely nothing to do with racket or strings. That's timing, form, feet position, and swing speed.

andrehanderson 12-16-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 7066426)
you shouldve just stuck with prestige!

Yeah, it seems like I should have done exactly that! :

andrehanderson 12-16-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7066494)
In your video, it has absolutely nothing to do with racket or strings. That's timing, form, feet position, and swing speed.

Thanks. Thats what I suspected.

MikeHitsHard93 12-16-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrehanderson (Post 7066506)
Thanks. Thats what I suspected.

Im sorry, I was quite blunt. I think that timing is the biggest factor here. Like when you tried slicing a volley you were pretty late, and thus it landed outside the left part of the court. Also, the slice pushed it out as well. I would work on hitting your bh without slice. Force yourself not to do it. Every time you slice a bh or a volley, do five push-ups :D that's what I did.

andrehanderson 12-16-2012 05:36 PM

Awesome advice. Thank you!

I took your initial advice as honest, not rude, but thank you for following up on it!