Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Do you use protection tape like lead tape? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=447963)

avince 12-12-2012 04:12 AM

Do you use protection tape like lead tape?

Protection tape weighs approximatively 3g. I wonder me if this one located from 2 to 10 o'clock can give same benefits (swingweight and plowthrough increasing) as lead tape at 12 o'clock ?

Bartelby 12-12-2012 06:15 AM

Yes, protection tape is weight and weight is weight so it will have the same benefits but it will be distributed over a longer area as it weighs less per inch.

realplayer 12-12-2012 06:54 AM

yes, i use protection tape instead of leadtape. I use around ten grams from 2 to 10 o'clock and around 4 grams in the throat. It works great.

avince 12-12-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartelby (Post 7059121)
Yes, protection tape is weight and weight is weight so it will have the same benefits but it will be distributed over a longer area as it weighs less per inch.

Maybe, the distributed mass is even better for the stability of the hoop ? :)

tball 12-12-2012 07:19 AM

I find that lead gives more pronounced and perceivable effect.
Protection tape's effect is too subtle to even be felt. I just makes everything slightly heavier and slightly slower, and does not increase stabilty.

realplayer 12-12-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tball (Post 7059216)
Protection tape's effect is too subtle to even be felt. I just makes everything slightly heavier and slightly slower, and does not increase stabilty.

It has exactly the same effect as leadtape. The law of physics will tell you that there cannot be a difference but in the mind ofcourse everything is possible.
Nobody argues if silicone or leadtape in the handle have the same effect so why is this even a discussion.

avince 12-12-2012 07:41 AM

Moreover, protection tape is sometimes more cool for the look than lead tape...

JohnB 12-12-2012 10:10 AM

Air resistance will be the noticeable difference in my opinion. Especially if multiple layer(s) are needed.

mikeler 12-12-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tball (Post 7059216)

You can feel the protection tape if you cover the entire top bumper guard.

lstewart 12-13-2012 11:41 AM

Questions along this same line... I'm experimenting with weight adjustments for the first time. Since as was mentioned "weight is weight", does anyone know how much one wrap of tournagrip weighs? I've got 3 wraps of it on my grip, so I am sure I am adding a few grams there. Also what about a solid rubber round vibration dampner? Also assume that might be a few grams. Don't have a scale, but I know there factor into extra weight.

JohnB 12-13-2012 12:48 PM

I think that the overgrip weighs about 4 grams (not sure) and the dampener about 3 grams.

lstewart 12-14-2012 04:55 AM

Wow, thanks JohnB. If that is the case, I've added 15 grams of weight to the frame with overgrip and dampner, before adding lead tape. I'm trying some old Head Radical Teams that are 10.4 ounces strung. I've got 8 grams of lead tape at 3 and 9 o'clock, and 10 grams in the grip. So I might actually have 33 grams of extra weight.