Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   TW Questions/Comments (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   A scammer parading as TW? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448007)

scotus 12-12-2012 01:01 PM

A scammer parading as TW?

I just came on TTW (at 1:55 pm PST, Wed, 12/12/12) and a window pops up asking me to fill out a 5-question survey for a $100 TW gift card. The window even showed the authentic TW gift card on it.

Since I was on TTW and it looked legit, I answered some questions, gave my first name and cell #.

And then it went to a "CONFIRM" page and showed a timer that counted down from 120 seconds to confirm my cell phone number, except the page didn't show how to confirm it.

At any rate, it looks to me that it may have been a scamware and it took my first name and cell #.

Any thoughts, TW?

***By the way, if you see any hyperlinks on my text, don't click on it. There's something weird going on here.

TW Staff 12-12-2012 01:41 PM

Sorry to hear that your getting these, but unfortunately there's nothing we can do from our end. Our IT recommends running a virus scan and an anti-spyware scan. Something has found its way onto your computer.

We do not have any pop-ups installed on Talk Tennis so please do not click on any.

Thanks,
Tiffani, TW

Andyroo10567 12-12-2012 02:05 PM

^^.... Uh..... Was that sent to you via email?

scotus 12-12-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyroo10567 (Post 7059910)
^^.... Uh..... Was that sent to you via email?

No, just a pop-up when I visited either TW or Talk Tennis.

LanEvo 12-12-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotus (Post 7059945)
No, just a pop-up when I visited either TW or Talk Tennis.

I think you need to scan on Trojan/Maleware.

Malewarebytes is the best. The free version should delete and clean up everything for you. And it would never hurt to run CCleaner every once in a while either.

scotus 12-13-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7059868)
Sorry to hear that your getting these, but unfortunately there's nothing we can do from our end. Our IT recommends running a virus scan and an anti-spyware scan. Something has found its way onto your computer.

We do not have any pop-ups installed on Talk Tennis so please do not click on any.

Thanks,
Tiffani, TW

Thank you, Tiffani.

I ran Spybot to eliminate one malware, although I'm not entirely sure whether that was the culprit.

I was still seeing hyperlinks in my posts afterward, so I set the Java blocker to block rivalgaming.com, and it did the trick.

Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here.

BTW, why does my McAfee never catch anything?

McLovin 12-13-2012 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotus (Post 7060679)
BTW, why does my McAfee never catch anything?

Because its too busy avoiding deportation to Belize?

wrxinsc 12-13-2012 03:14 AM

try avg and grisoft's free range of other stuff.

mikeler 12-13-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 7060731)

Belize spare us with your jokes. :)

To the OP, I recommend setting up a non Administrator account on your computer and use that for web surfing. Those accounts can't install software which means you probably can't install spyware either.

zapvor 12-13-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 7060731)

hahhahaha nice