Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Reebok signs 15 year old (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=448067)

Pro_Tour_630 12-13-2012 05:46 AM

Reebok signs 15 year old

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...195109711.html

again the question is how do they know this 15 year old is going to make millions ? can we predict at age 15 a tennis phenom will make millions :confused:

Alchemy-Z 12-13-2012 06:06 AM

McDavid has already scored 17 goals and 37 points in just 32 games.

That's crazy good...

he's like a lebron james of hockey I am sure the kid will do fine if the NHL will ever get their stuff in order.

his posting positions are very smart and he has great awareness already.(based off watching the film

get him a great fitness person and he will be a star he's got loads of talent .the rest can be manufactured (conditioning/strength/endurance)

kme5150 12-13-2012 06:58 AM

There is no difference between this and the Donald Young deal with Nike.

I agree, this kid is the real deal.

Pro_Tour_630 12-13-2012 07:05 AM

how old was DY when he signed with nike? how much is DY making today :oops: his losing streak speaks for itself

DY won zoon and nada , ther are so many playing that won OB herr at a young age and nothing became of them,

barringer97 12-13-2012 07:25 AM

I think Hockey might be a little different, they are pretty good at spotting the next "player". The last guy to get this deal was Crosby, so that worked out for them...

ga tennis 12-13-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barringer97 (Post 7061012)
I think Hockey might be a little different, they are pretty good at spotting the next "player". The last guy to get this deal was Crosby, so that worked out for them...

I agree....

kme5150 12-13-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

That is precisely the case.

NLBwell 12-13-2012 10:07 AM

Yes, hockey success as a junior translates much better to success as an adult than in tennis.

tennis5 12-13-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7061357)
Yes, hockey success as a junior translates much better to success as an adult than in tennis.

Verbal commits in hockey starts much earlier than tennis.

Bobby Jr 12-13-2012 03:10 PM

Spotting talent in teams sports is much less of a risk than in individual sports. In team sports the (mental) maturation aspect is partially voided or, in some cases, almost irrelevant so when you see a young talent you can have a better idea of how they'll progress as they age/grow, making the gamble a better bet (plus team sports have more of an element of 'gamble' money to sponsor promising juniors). In individual sports that is not the case - the mental acuity required to play a sport like tennis at a top level when young is a hundreds times rarer than being a great free-thrower, goal-scorer etc.

There is much less certainty that a top junior will turn into a top adult tennis player, especially as mental maturity (in a sport-specific sense) matters so much more in tennis than it does for a team sport.

An example of how difference sports force people to mature in order to be top competitors can be seen in how many complete morons there are in high level football (soccer) and American football. Yet they are few and few between in tennis or golf players*. You just couldn't survive tennis or golf like you can many team sports as the group/team collective mind/confidence aspect almost doesn't exist.**

(*I don't think it's a rich/poor sport thing either in case someone was about to suggest that aspect...)

(**Ever wonder why so many historic anomaly results in tennis have come during Davis Cup? I think a big part of it is because some players become more confident and perform better when they have team support around them - especially on-court support)

Pro_Tour_630 12-13-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

when they signed Crosby he was 17 this kid is 15 that is a difference,

goober 12-14-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro_Tour_630 (Post 7062179)
when they signed Crosby he was 17 this kid is 15 that is a difference,

Calculated risk but less risk than signing a 14 y.o. D. Young. 2 million is not a big risk if he turns out to be an allstar. He is already killing it against top 17+ year olds. He will be drafted probably #1 or close to it. Worst case scenario just an average NHL player. If he becomes a John Tavares instead of Crosby still probably worth it. In tennis unless you are winning slams or are top 10 you are nothing from a media standpoint.

BirdieLane 12-17-2012 07:33 AM

Maybe the kid is great, but highlight reel was relatively unimpressive. I found a little better one youtube. But I think Crosby showed more when he was at Shattuck.

One big difference in major team sports is that your worth is more subjective and there is a lot more money available to more players. It's not possible to pin a DY type losing streak in kid like this in a team sport. If your team is doing bad, it can be the coach or other players fault...not the superstars :)

Good luck to this kid. Crosby got a huge Reebok contract and became a golden ambassador of the game...if this kid can become just a fraction of that he'll be alright.

JoelDali 12-17-2012 06:29 PM

He is the obvious GHCPOAT